Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    obviously both i and MDS agree on chirinos- not a difference maker, just a joe average MLS player- we need more than that and i would expect more to come in january

certainly theo bair offers more as a striker than chirinos

and perhaps its time to make reyna the classic #10 player and see how he connects with cavallini- but another MF, CB and pacey winger-striker are still needed to make this team competitive in the West Conference

i am expecting godoy to be signed. primarily as a RB, then as a CB when needed

as far as nerwinski goes, he hasnt faltered as a player-- its just that MLS keeps getting better in quality and he isnt able to up his game to match- he is at the top level of his game- MLS is by-passing him

2. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    ^The other big things in the roster department are not player additions but player subtractions. I don't see how Erice is here for 2020 and I unless he takes a massive pay cut I don't see keeping Montero here. Someone needs to get bought out here.

Godoy looks close to signing but I still see him as a CB first and an RB second. What they really need are two new starting mids to go with In Beom: Rose and Teibert are back up role player guys and are similar to Nerwinski and his situation.

Who am I kidding? They still need a lot of guys, period (wingers, back up LB).

Hopefully Axel Rose will be able to use his network/connections to engineer some better loans from the Bundesliga as rent-to-own types, improvements over the likes of Bangoura and the bust Ardaiz.

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the Caps are at least 5 players short of being competitive in 2020- both erice and montero are expensive buyouts and will be kept as back-ups

i do expect some new players will come from MLS ranks

godoy will perhaps be signed, but i am not convinced that a +$1 mill transfer fee makes him worth it - but eric can be play at RB (he is better than jake) and as a back-up CB; so his transfer/signing is a toss-up

there has to be more quality coming in when the transfer season in non-MLS leagues opens - a pacey winger, 2 MFs and a defensive player

4. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    If they want to sign Godoy for bigger money and acquire other higher priced key guys, they need to move bigger money. That means no Montero or Erice. Those are absolute must moves.

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, Not near enough return on their salaries.

Such an unbalanced team and I can’t help but wonder if MDS is a bit naive as a coach. They gave up the most shots per game with 20 and the next closest team was at 15. 20 is a lot of shots to give up in one game much less as an average. Then they took the least amount of shots per game in the league with 10. They were so lightweight last year with a DM that couldn’t cover ground. Bad combo. Cavallini is a start as he is a hard worker but they need more and then MDS needs to be realistic about setting the team up so they aren’t a sieve against other teams.

6. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    The Cavallini signing is, in part, an acknowledgement that getting rid of Kamara was a mistake. Kamara is capable of doing a lone striker role effectively and may have helped poach some more goals from limited service but too much of the narrative around him (even alluded to by Shill during an early season match) was one of a me-guy, locker room distraction, particularly in his second year. If the Tank can pop goals in the same manner, then that problem is solved.

Too much spin from observers/bloggers last year about the defensive acumen. Crepeau's goalkeeping stuccoed the significant foundational cracks.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  7. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    A lack of a true DM is what I think lead to the extra shots being made on us. A lack of a cohesive midfield that can maintain possession hurt both offensively and defensively.

8. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Well, they have a TD and scouting department vetting player prospects and an FO who has demonstrated the willingness to get a DP striker who may be above the market rate for transfer and wage, so MDS is clearly on the clock to make the playoffs. And, in this collective ownership, salary cap league, that should be attainable.

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well, godoy is a Cap- i stiil see him as a better CB (gritty and good in the air) than a RB (too easily beaten on the outside)

but i dont see any MLS team taking montero and maybe a sell to a team in euro for erice... at a loss-- both are on +$900K salary- the Caps can buy-out 1 contract without a salary cap hit, but get nothing back in return-- its a conundrum- i figure both will be sub-injury replacement players

10. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
  11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    but eric isnt the fastest RB defender and he can be beaten easily - and jake is a faltering RB because of the quality level rising in MLS- i think we need a better RB and rotate the CBs of cornelius, khimiri and godoy

i still see 4-5 additional players coming in, most critically in the MF and wing positions as i believe reyna should be tried as the #10 AMF

12. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Unless they break the bank for an absolute stud as the other midfielder in their base 4-3-3, playing Reyna as the AM will result in that midfield being undermanned and we'll continue to see the shooting gallery we saw last year.

Reyna's been best for the Caps while leading the line (which isn't happening now that Cavallini is here) or as a second forward in a central role (2017 alongside a still dangerous Montero). Other than that, his best attacking came from space off the counterattack. On the wing, I never felt he was ever in sync with Kamara, who is a very good CF in this league. It makes me wonder how he'll do with a similar type of player now in the CF spot. It makes it an interesting situation to watch in the first half of the season because if things don't click, the Peruvian might get moved in the summer window

13. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about the midfield. I wouldn’t worry about spending much money to replace Nerwinski before beefing up the midfield and ensuring solid depth at CB.
    Jake isn’t the problem for this team but the imbalance exposes him and the rest of the D.

BearcatSA repped this.
  14. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    They need those better starting quality midfielders (at least one, because Rose and Teibert might be able to duke it out for the other spot) but that's not happening until they move Montero's and Erice's contracts. When those two get moved, then things will get rolling. Signings might happen uncomfortably close to the start of the season. The winger and other depth for 4-3-3 will probably be rent-to-own young types, either from SA or from Schuster's contacts in the Bundesliga. Which young guys, are lanquishing in Schalke 04's system who might be a fit for North America? I'm waiting for a smart arse to say McKennie but how about fellow young American Nick Taitague on Schalke's second team?

15. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    They need those better starting quality midfielders (at least one, because Rose and Teibert might be able to duke it out for the other spot) but that's not happening until they move Montero's and Erice's contracts. When those two get moved, then things will get rolling. Signings might happen uncomfortably close to the start of the season. The winger and other depth for 4-3-3 will probably be rent-to-own young types, either from SA or from Schuster's contacts in the Bundesliga. Which young guys, are lanquishing in Schalke 04's system who might be a fit for North America? I'm waiting for a smart arse to say McKennie but how about fellow young American Nick Taitague on Schalke's second team?

16. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    The winter window is open so I bet Erice will get moved back to Spain on a transfer pretty soon. That will be a win-win for the club and the player.

17. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I hope so. I think there is a quote out there of him saying he wants to go back there. What an anchor that contract was. Will be nice to free up that salary room.

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    as i have stated before, i believe somehow that erice wont be here in 2020- a deal will be made to satisfy everyone, including the Caps who will regain some of his salary that will be dumped over to jon' new team- transfer fee- NADA

montero- kept as a sub- who would want him at his near $1 mill USD salary ?

Reyna- i have a sense that yordy would like to be out and MDS might agree- he is a talented player, but can he fit MDS' style of play?? i see the possibility of a trade or sell

MF and strikers-- waiting too long enhances the possibilities of panic buys- we saw that with the late 2019 signings of venuto, bangoura and ardaiz... and we all know how that ended

MDS- its time in the next 2-3 weeks for MDS to announce his new signings- he and his staff did a lot of traveling and its time to see what we have coming in- marc has done 2 major deals so far- cavallini and godoy; and he shipped out henry

Still- need 4-5 quality players, with at least 2 of then being high-end players, maybe 3 if yordy goes

19. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Montero needs to be bought out. He's in decline (regardless of the couple of last gasp sub goals) and not the future. The ownership would have to eat the salary but get the cap space. If they do so, then I'll know that they are...wait for the too oft heard cliche in Caps Nation..."turning the corner."

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    co-owner and minority owner, jeff mallett, will have to sedate majority owner, greg kerfoot, in order to pry open his wallet that has been imbedded between greg's buttocks since 2011- an enema or 2 might be needed

not convinced yet... nor should any supporter-- we will know in 1 month if cavallini is the best and only player we got or there are more top-notch recruits coming in (and not joe average players like we got in 2019)

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    if reyna does stay, i think he gets the crack at the #10 position- but he cant be a lone soldier- better players to limk with might just make him an effective AMF

22. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I cant see the new CEO uprooting his career to come to Vancouver unless he was given serious assurances he could run it his way with the financial resources to do so. This guy is no slouch so I would be shocked if Cavellini is the last serious signing.

23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    looks like both of us are getting some HOPE back- dare we believe and trust this Club... again ???

24. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    From my outside perspective, it looks like you can. Just don't expect everything to be perfect from the start of this transition. It will still take some time to see all the results of a new commitment by the owners.

25. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Frustrating the club had to fall into a dumpster fire and one year away from potential movement talk s before they got the message, but here we are

I am intrigued at the changes. The sporting director could have been window dressing but this new CEO would not have taken his well established career in this direction for a BS position. The rot was always at the top and this is a completely new culture in the FO.

Interesting times ahead!