Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I don't see anything on this move. Is it a real thing?

2. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Its been reported in the TSN media (Kristian Jack), so its not just a glass city twitter rumor. Caps haven't announced it so maybe its awaiting some transfer window or papers. The club hasn't been named officially. I would assume its China but it could be Japan or Korea.

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    it was also reported on 86Forever- if i had a to pick a asia league, it would be s korea- maybe there will be a korean on the way back as part of the deal

4. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Doneil Henry has been transferred to K League 1 club Suwon Samsung Bluewings. Too bad. I was hoping he would get resigned but they couldn't reach an agreement. He was making 200k here and the Bluewings were willing to pay a transfer fee so they obviously were offering Henry way more than the Whitecaps could afford.

I'm always happy when Canadian players can cash in for all their hard work but I'm sad when it means they leave the Caps.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2019/11/20/whitecaps-fc-transfer-doneil-henry

5. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I like him but happy he will get playing time in a decent league going forward

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Re: Doneil:

its either

1. he didnt fit MDS plan for a CB who can consistently pass the ball out to the MF to have a counter-attack

2. personality conflict between Doneil and MDS

3. Doneil can make more $$$$$$$$ in the korean league and the Caps get $$$ and/or player back

it might be all 3

7. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I'll take number 3 for a thousand Alex ...
    They were willing to pay a transfer rather than wait a year. To me that means they want him and have made him an offer MLS can't match.

8. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I think more like an offer Vancouver won't match.

9. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Or Montreal & Toronto. He is domestic here but international on the US teams.

10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I would have been happy to see him come back to TFC. My point was more that I don't think Vancouver would spend money to keep him given their reluctance to spend money at all.

11. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Over their 8 years they've spent in the top half at least 4 seasons. Just never got great value and way too many flops.

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    IS IT CROW-EATING AND APOLOGY TIME ????

lucas cavalinni to the Whitecaps

https://btsvancity.com/2019/12/06/n...llini-could-bring-to-the-vancouver-whitecaps/

IF TRUE, then the Caps ownership have decided to put their big boy pants on- and as well, we should thank Don Garber- MLS Pres- who visited Vancouver early in the Fall for impressing on the owners the need to enter MLS 3.0- i wouldnt be surprised if MLS coughed up some transfer $$$$$$$ to bring home a canadian international- his salary would have to be more than the mexican team at $1.25 mill CD, so i am guessing near $2 mill

if he comes, then we can surmise that a top MF to complement inboem will also be coming - and with henry gone, then a top CB also

lucas could be a start of a roll on 2020... and a return to coming to games for me and i would guess, thousands of others

2019 could seem like a bad dream

13. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    It was a NIGHTMARE. Hopefully we will not be visiting Elm Street any more.

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good pick-up from a tactical, need and fan interest standpoint, He won’t have any problems adjusting to MLS,

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    its confirmed in mexican press- what a Xmas present!! get a significant MF and i look at year 42 as a supporter and STH

my guess a significant MF and CB --wouldnt scott arfiedl look good as the MF leader ??

16. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Congratulations!

And, too bad - I was hoping to see TFC sign him.

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    cavallini could be vancouver's answer to raul ruidiaz of seattle- same mentality, ambition, work ethic and courage inside the 18 yard box

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    on paper, lucas could score in the same range IF he has other players to support him- yordy and in-boem are possibilities, but the Caps need a significant #10 MF

not convinced that chirinos is the answer as an attacking/creative striker/wide player

19. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Cav is in and Zac is out. Excellent score on getting Cav and I thought Zac was the best of the backup keepers we've had but it is a backup role. Save $194k in salary and give Max a big raise. Hasal now our #2? We've been pretty good at developing keepers and MDS has said he doesn't want to use international spots on that position because he figures there are lots of quality Canadian keepers.

20. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I think another journeyman vet will be brought in. I'd rather see young Hasal get a loan stint to gain experience.

21. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    so our old nemesis Kristian Jack is indicating Cavellini's salary is 2 million a year.

That makes sense to me as they would have had to over pay on that salary to get him up to MLS

In saying that, this is a significant change from the last 9 years of management under Kerfoot. They have never gone to a salary at that level and most of their DPs since Pedro left have been covered by MLS monies and little to nothing out of his pocket.

If they get one more player at that level of salary, then that is solid evidence they are willing to change how they run the clubs finances.

The amount of ticket cancellations must have really rattled them. I have posted long in the past that it may take mass changes in attendance to get them to change the status quo. I felt that they would have to be pushed to the precipice of losing the market before taking action. Looks like that was the case. Not a healthy way to run a club but it isn't just the finances that were run poorly as we all know.

22. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ It does seem that the Whitecaps are changing their ways probably, as you indicate, due to a (pending) drop in ticket sales.

The big question will be: Are they just spending on one name brand player to try to woo back fans or will they also spend on the rest of the team to actually try to build a winning side?

I'm hopeful it is the latter and they are on the way up. Even if it takes a while and they make some mistakes along the way (see TFC, Defoe) I can see Vancouver being a successful team and a much better attended market in the long run.

23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Cavallini cant be the end, but the beginning-- Caps need to sign 2 significant MFs or a MF and a CB

anyone know about godoy and chirinos?? will they be signed ??

24. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Well, they had A TON of dead money under the salary cap in 2019. MDS screwed up a lot of signings. So, by fixing that alone they can improve significantly. But, if they want to actually compete, they will need one more higher level player in the range of Cavellini at least. We shall see if they drop the money on a 2nd big one or if he is the only one. Their history is to be reactionary and do the bare minimum to stave off the heat (in all areas of the club not just the playing squad), so they may want to see how he does and how their Jan 30th cancellation deadline goes. If they get a 2nd player with a salary in the 2 million dollar range plus get more out of their cap money, they can put on a decent season. As it stands now, they are at best squeaking into the playoffs. Still a lot to happen though.

This is the biggest signing the Caps have ever had in terms of dollars, and Kerfoot basically shut down the player spending after Pedro and kept it very close to the MLS monies as possible. This is a change for sure.

25. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Chirinos is gone, they did not buy him. I believe his club is trying to loan him somewhere else.

Godoy the caps have still not announced if they will buy him or let him go back to his club.