Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was disappointed to see Le Toux go because--apart from pre-season, when he scored--I don't think he was properly used. In Philly he played in the middle, and scored a ton of one-two-touch goals. Can't dribble worth a bean, but he gets into position and finishes well. Like Mario Gomez, for Germany, who had 3 goals in Euro, and about 18 seconds of possession. You wouldn't want Gomez to dribble down the flank either. In the box, with the ball coming is where you want him--like Le Toux. He'll fill the net in New York if they play him right.

Hassli had to go, and I'm not surprised that the flailing Gong Show that is TFC picked him up--they seem to care more about image and potential flash than substance. We seem to be going in the opposite direction here (thank goodness). I think it was Mark Weber who wrote recently that it seems potential/mercurial talent doesn't seem to be enough to retain a spot on the Whitecaps these days. Hence, Hassli and Chiumiento are gone.

Which gets me to my last point. What I see in Rennie's latest signings are one or both of the following qualities that connect all of them: 1) speed; 2) toughness/abrasiveness. Dane Richards has speed, can cross the ball well, and will definitely link up with Mattocks because of both those things. I love the fact that he's as fast with the ball at his feet as he is without it in a flat-out sprint. He's the player Shea Salinas should have been for us last year. I thought it was ironic when Salinas came on for the Earthquakes in the second half last game, and he instantly became just as invisible as he was here last year for the most part. Say what you want about Robson and Miller, but I think both are tough as nails mentally, which is something the Caps have lacked so far. Robson may not be likeable, and he does need to tone it down a bit (thi is the West Coast, not some hard-scrabble English industrial town), but he'll keep everyone honest right to the last minute of play, and neither he nor Miller will be pleasant for other teams to play against. At the Galaxy game, when Beckham punched Robson in the gut, first thing Robson did was check to see if the ref was looking, then punched him right back. Smart, but no backing down. This team needs that kind of sandpaper, especially in this league, I think. Too many times the Caps have allowed teams to push them around, or have fought back the wrong way (see Hassli). Neither Hassli nor Chiumiento (as sad as I am to see dede go) provided that grit even with all Hassli's cards.

My sense is that Rennie is trying to put together a team whose whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Given where the team is in the standings at the moment, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. I didn't like Robson when he arrived, but the last two games he's been a difference-maker. And he gave Richards the advice that led to his goal against San Jose, by Richards' own admission ("Just stay wide on Morrow, and we'll find you"). You can also see an improvement in Koffie's offensive play since Robson's arrived. Maybe not surprisingly, you can also see Robson talking to him a lot during the games. It's not just about his play and how many goals he scores. He's already been responsible for more than that in the short time he's been here. My sense is that Miller will serve a similar purpose for young forwards like Mattocks and Salgado.

2. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Agree.

People have said (not necessarily here but I have heard it elsewhere) that Hassli and Dede were technically superior players than Miller and Robson and while I'd tend to agree with that sentiment- to your point of "tough as nails mentally" - there's a reason that Hassli and Dede played (if they did at all in any European Games) with their former Swiss clubs and not at higher profile clubs like Miller and Robson have played at in Celtic and Rangers including playing games past the group stages in the Champions League

I like what Rennie seems to be doing. Have some real good group mentality, assemble a team of guys willing to tackle with their teeth for their teammates, without sacrificing the ability to go forward and score.

Richards, Mattocks etc have work to do on their techncial game, but their blinding speed will kill when properly combined with the guile and savvy (and techncial ability) of guys like camilo, Robson, Miller, and the ball winning scrappy play of Davidson and Koffie.

whiteisthecolour repped this.
  3. TheGoldSheik

TheGoldSheik New Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Anyone who would take the Hassli/Dede combo over Robson/Miller don't know crap about player evaluations.

4. ixadvent

ixadvent Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    Finally our brazilian signing is revealed.

Tiago Ulisses, heres a different video (not the one caps uploaded) :

I think this guy has quite a shot from distance. Also as much as I like the "hard nose" element he brings, most certainly with the diving in MLS, he is likely to collect cards like candy.

5. TheGoldSheik

TheGoldSheik New Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Sources have shared with me that Miller will not return. It will be probably in the January transfer window.

6. Brittania

Brittania Member

Oct 26, 2011
  7. VegasNYC

VegasNYC Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Australia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No big loss IMO

8. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Announced yesterday: Sylvestre, Ulisses and Barbara have been released. I wonder what will become of Ulisses' contract. I thought they'd signed him already. Barbara doesn't surprise me, and even Sylvestre after his injuries.

9. ixadvent

ixadvent Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    What I think Rennie should learn from this year is to rotate his squad around more. Having 5-6 players on roster to not play a single minute is bad for both club and the player. In Ulisses' case, I feel bad for him on a personal level (having brought out of brazil and gets his contract terminated within couple of months and now jobless is pretty sh*tty).

10. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Looks like he's looking for a loan to a team in Scotland, but he seems to be talking here like he wants to return to Vancouver next season:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-English-or-Scottish-Premier-League-club.html

I wouldn't be sorry to see him go outright, though. From the beginning he looked to me more like a player out of his depth in the level of play in MLS than one who just needed games under his belt to regain form. Anthony Brown, in the Edinburgh Evening News, seemed to be saying as much when he defended Miller's inclusion in the Scottish national side in this article (also quoted in a posting on 86 Forever):
    http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-e...itch-shouldn-t-count-against-miller-1-2505170

Brown compared the MLS favourably to the SPL, saying "the fact the nets haven’t bulged quite so regularly in [Miller's] early days with Vancouver suggests he is now operating in a vastly superior division [MLS], despite claims to the contrary from those still living in the 1990s."

He goes on to say that the US team that beat Scotlan 5-1 earlier this year had no 5 MLS players on the roster. Given Kris Boyd's performance this year in Portland, he might have a point about the relative quality of play in the SPL vs MLS.

And Miller ties up too much salary--and a DP/international spot--to carry the experiment even a year further. If the WC couldn't justify keeping Hassli till the end of the year, I can't see how they can justify giving Miller another full season. Miller looks topped out to me in MLS, as was Hassli. And they won't be able to trade him within MLS--at his price tag--as they did with Hassli. Even TFC has only so many stupid moves up its sleeve.

The way the WC cut Tiago Ulisses adrift says to me their patience is short with players who can't seem to cut it in MLS. So I think there's a good chance he's on the way out, whether he wants it or not.

FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  11. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver can do so much better than Miller and Robson imho...

12. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    miller will return IMO-- who would take him and his salary, even if it was partially paid for by the caps?? who would pay him, after his last 3 season stats, at $1.3 mill?? aint going to happen-- and he has said he wants to come back and make a bigger impact (which i dont think will happen as his best days are behind him)

robson is a better bet to leave as he still has a good profile, especially in england, maybe at the champions league level-- he can make an impact if his head is screwed on and his mouth is zipped)- and his salary is easier for another team to accept-- he has value and gas left in his playing tank for some team in euro to want him

13. ixadvent

ixadvent Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    In regards to our two DPs atm has a lot to do with how Martin Rennie wanted them to play (4-3-3) and I thought that Rennie did a good job actually giving up his preferred formation to accommodate the fact that we have no dominate wingers to play that game. Overall if Rennie spent that much to get these two players, I don't think he will ship them out after 3 months. So my best guest is that both of them will stay. Unless an offer from Europe comes for Miller and we can off load that huge salary from him.

Barry Robson for me, was a good acquire IF ONLY Davide (I still miss that man) was still around, having Barry playing behind and support Davide would be ideal... Barry is the box to box midfielder and we all know the rest when Rennie put him to control the whole midfield by himself. I think Barry can stay as long as he keeps his attitude towards the opposition only and bring in a guy that can offer some offensive threat in the midfield and let Barry play that box-to-box style.

As for Miller, I've seen glimpse of brilliance from this guy... he is decent on the ball and usually can avoid the first challenge. I think him and Mattocks upfront is a pretty good pair. But then again its his salary that he is sitting on...

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is a little quiet, but any Whitecaps supporters think they will go after anyone in the Re-Entry Draft on Friday?

15. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "@DChiumiento: Vancouver......coming soon!!!"

Davide Chiumiento tweeted this the other night. Could just be visiting Vancouver of course but when someone asked he responded with;
    "@DChiumiento: @welchole hahahahaha no comment"

16. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Vancouver Whitecaps officially interested in Honduran Olympic and Senior Team Centreback, Jose Velasquez Colon, of C.D. Victoria.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    So is Seattle :O So the battle is on :cool:

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you post it over there? I haven't seen it.

20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I think they already know :coffee:

21. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Here's the latest on the Chiumiento returning to Vancouver rumours--I posted about it on another thread:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/chiumiento-round-2.1979859/

22. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    the beginning of the end?? i doubt that the Caps would be disappointed if another club agreed to a transfer so the caps can write off Miller's over-priced salary... and there seems some words from lenarduzzi-- the ceo- that robson MIGHT be headed out also if the right deal came along- he just cant seem to get his head wrapped around playing in MLS and not being the club superstar and captain

just my take on the article

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...uver+Whitecaps+time+almost/7786819/story.html

23. TheGoldSheik

TheGoldSheik New Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Sources have confirmed with me that Miller will be at training camp for the Caps.

24. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark