Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd be a really solid lineup, especially once the new guys get used to the old guys.

I also expect to see Barbara suiting up for a lot of games and being a potent super-sub up top; I think that's how he naturally plays best and having to play a full 90 regularly at the D2 level wasn't ideal for him.

2. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    It is bloody amazing at how much they have upgraded in just one off season.

3. ixadvent

ixadvent Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    Caps' first season ended somewhere at the begining of november, a 4 month off season never seem to end. March 10th just can't come any sooner. I hope we win amway championship and hopefuly establish ourself in the western conference.

4. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    its no wonder to me-- better leadership in the front office and a more solid and professional coaching staff (and i am not meaning to 'diss' TT as i believe he was more a victim of a poor FO staff that was just plain naive and incompetent)
    2012 is shaping up as a completely different season than 2011

5. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    For once I agree with this sportie1 guy.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
  8. ixadvent

ixadvent Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    What exactly did he say on twitter?

9. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He called Knighton (jokingly) a "f**got". The comment didn't read homphobically. It read like a young redneck using a term haphazardly to tease a buddy without thinking about what it meant. But it's still (obviously) not cool. Which is, actually, pretty close to Knighton's immediate response.

10. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    One of those things that everyone says, prob shouldn't but it happens. Except when you become a pro athlete, you can't say shit like that in public.

11. marcopaulo

marcopaulo Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Vancouver
    I was shocked when I heard this. I watched a couple training sessions before the arizona trip and he really impressed me. With Thorrington's current injury this surprised me even more. I thought he might have had some trade value instead of being waived.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs claim Nguyen off waivers.

13. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

especially since he is a fringe player on a talented attacking team-- he may even have a bigger attitude problem than we may know and this could have been the a deal breaker for him

not worth the risk IMO

14. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Got my season ticket package in the mail this week. Tickets plus a sticker and bumper sticker. Cheap-ass. Extra tickets (including it seems the final of the Amway Championship) to be activated for a fee. No more free games (like Man City last year for season ticket holders, and Seattle's Community Shield for all their fans this year). Teams like Portland and Seattle still do a much better job of taking care of fans, and last year was better than so far this year from WC too. And TS still lurking around the FO--for what? Aside from drawing what can only be considered at this point a sinecure salary, that is. If this is improved FO leadership, I'd hate to see anyone's definition of worse.

I credit Rennie and his coaching staff for all the on-field improvements. The only good thing I can see the FO doing so far is staying out of his way to let him do his job. For that I commend the FO and encourage them to continue their efforts in that direction. Rennie seems to have a good eye for talent, good communication skills and ability to read people, and is an excellent coach. It's not just the new players that are making this team look better so far. Some players from last year are actually playing better under Rennie. Harvey, for one, looked like a liability at times last year, and looks much more solid this year so far. Chiumiento is fitter (by 7-8 lbs, due to the off-season diet and fitness plan the club gave him, by his own admission), seems to have a much more professional attitude, and is producing on the field more consistently. I saw the second half against KC, and I've never seen Chiumiento do that much running. Little surprise he set up two goals. He was also responsible for both WC goals today against Carolina--scoring one and setting up the other--and could have scored another in the first half.

I say we're fine so long as the FO keeps the hell out of Rennie's way and keeps giving him and his coaching staff a free hand. The FO will never perform well off the field (as they haven't so far this year) given who's there, but the quality of the on-field product Rennie and his crew produces will keep overshadowing their incompetence and lack of professionalism.

15. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Do you have a source for saying he has an attitude problem?

16. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    I agree that the stickers feels a little cheap after providing scarves last year. Regarding the matches what we get, I was under the impression that the final of the Canadian Championship is included. Not getting the European club friendly for free this year may be disappointing, but I believe that the Whitecaps lost quite a bit of money hosting Man City last year (there was the cost of getting Man City to agree to the friendly, plus the cost of laying the temporary turf and maintaining it the days prior to the game when the skies opened up). So I can understand that they don't want to take the same approach this year - and I don't think this direction was taken at the FO level, but at the ownership level.

17. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If we end up playing better soccer (inevitable) and in the playoff hunt (likely) and maybe even win a playoff game (possible), then I personally don't care about free scarves or Man City. I want wins.

18. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham
    Hey guys looking for a little help in my fantasy league. I got Mattocks for a dirt cheap price and am hoping he will get some play time. How do you guys think he will fit in? 70th minute sub, perhaps making starting line up by mid season?

19. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hard to say with Mattocks. My gut tells me he'll be a second half sub for the most part because his pace and finish will be a problem for opposing defenders late in games. But he's still pretty raw in many respects, so I don't see him starting a lot. Not quite the same project as Salgado, but a project nonetheless. But who knows, if the Caps pick up some injuries. Add to that possible CCL games if they can win the Voyageurs Cup, and national team call-ups, and he might see more action, especially if he produces regularly (?) Not a bad pick, though, especially if he came cheap.

20. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Amen to that. I just hope the chintziness doesn't bleed into the on-field product as well. But my sense is it won't--the owners will probably see to that. I just hope the FO keeps its nose where it belongs--in the paperwork. In Rennie I trust.

21. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    firstly, he ends up playing in the vietnamese league; if he was so talented, why the heck would a supposedly talented and potentially first-rate player end up there at this stage of his career?? (2+2=4) something akin to jarju signing at a DP salary and yet he is in the belgium second division!!?? (some1 with the Caps forgot to do the simple soccer math)

secondly, i have been conversing with Old Fan of the southsiders board (he has some solid recognition and insider info, and he agrees that Nyguen is a little bit of a head case)-- so i am not alone on this statement

22. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    I think it's unlikely that we'll make the playoffs - but I want the CONCACAF CL competition.

23. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    O. Migh. Gott.

To those who read these boards but not the Southsiders board: Old Fan is by far the most polarizing figure on the SS board. So "solid recognition" in this instance is by percentages more negative than positive, and from what I have read, he has no insider information.

Also, I've been told that sportie1 and oldfan are the same person which, if true, re-contextualizes the "not alone" statement. =)

For my own self, I don't care one whit about who we jettison or keep, so long as we win. For now, my trust is entirely in Rennie for this team, and I am very glad we have him at the helm.

5 DAYS people! C'MON YOU CAPS!

24. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A couple of articles in the Van Sun and I think Province have attributed Nguyen's departure to Nanchoff stepping up, but it may have also been Nguyen's own abilities/lack of fitness too. In this article on MLSsoccer.com, the Revs coach seems to question his immediate fitness when he says "we're trying to get his legs underneath him, but in terms of a short, nice practice, he fit in pretty well.” Nguyen himself said being waived was a humbling experience. A tad too cocky coming in, maybe?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/03/06/humbled-nguyen-happy-land-new-england

25. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany