White home jersey

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Adiaga Two, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When are the USSF and Nike going to sheepishly admit that the infamous off-white sash exists?

I find it kind of suspicious that they've been hawking around the blue away shirt since the Netherlands game, but there's been no mention of the home shirt.

Anybody with information on this?

2. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official unveiling is on the 26th in NYC. Available on USSoccer.com the 29th. They haven't been hiding it, it's been official for weeks now.

3. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link? Have they given any design hints?

4. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was on their Twitter feed. The jerseys have been official since Nike applied for the European trademarks back in February. Can't find a link, but there have been plenty around.

5. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    In the World Cup Jerseys thread in the Equipment and Training Gear forum, one poster said that they are already on sale at the DSG near him.

This of course prompted one poster to point out that they are not yet released, etc, which prompted another to post these pics:

http://i40.tinypic.com/a1s515.jpg

There are also some different pics here:
    http://www.footballshirtculture.com/10/11-kits/us-world-cup-2010-nike-home-shirt-leaked.html

So I am not sure we are really waiting on Nike or USSF to make it "official," just to actually release them (aside from the DSG that is apparently selling them early).

6. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks a lot, guys.

Man, those are horrible jerseys. Like a faux soccer shirt you'd find at a Target around the 4th of July.

7. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    To be fair, all of those are taken "flat," so it may look better when it's actually on a person (or even a mannequin). Also, the first set seem to have been taken somewhat sneakily on a cell phone camera, which would make them look worse. The ones on FSC just seem too close up.

But yeah, at this point, not liking it as much as the away.

8. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also gotta see how it looks on the players. People hated the last home kit when they were first released (my favorite quote at the time was, "I didn't know that Tommy Hilfiger was our kit makers now"). But now, it's one of our most popular, especially upon winning the Hexagonal and our run in the Confederations Cup. If the players play well in them, they will fly off the shelves.

9. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gdamn man those are garbage.
    Well, my brother is colorblind and will be watching the games with me so I can finally tell him that "you're not missing much" and be totally sincere.
    Why didn't USSF just put out white f-ing tee-shirts and save a butt-load of money?

10. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry bud but I could care less if Leo Messi becomes a U.S citizen, joins the team and wears it, it will still look like shat.

11. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was never a huge fan of the '08/'09s, but when I first saw them, they definitely looked slick and professional if a little unusual.

These shirts are just another example of Nike trying to create some arbitrary new style with lots of awkward stripes and patches. Same thing they did with the latest Man United and Brazil kits.

12. CooperFan

CooperFan Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eastbay has them up already.

Glad I got the away for this cycle. Not a big fan of the white homes. There isn't enough contrast between the body and the sash.

13. Conartist

Conartist Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree that the away is way better and actually looks somewhat timeless. However, the US tends to perform better in World Cups when they have mediocre to crappy kit designs. In '06 and '98 they had pretty good looks and didn't do too hot, so maybe it's a sign??

14. rlouisj7

rlouisj7 Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm more concerned with the meaning behind it. i mean dont get me wrong i love looking up the leaks for all new jerseys. but looking at that jersey knowing that it was inspired by the team that beat england 1-0 makes that jersey their best one yet. plus i wouldve thought it was solid anyways.

15. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    2 things here.

On the USA white kit, first. Now, I am not THAT keen on the blue kit, though it is better than most of the kits Nike has released and better than many of Adidas. (Personally prefer Englands kit, but then, I am biased!).

However, where the big thing is for me is that on the blue kit, it almost screams "I am a sash!" And lets face it, it is fairly bleedin obvious that it is just that. A sash. It is an obvious part of the design of the kit.

On the white kit, it almost looks like Nike could not decide what to do! It almost looks like the sash is trying to hide! Almost as if the shirt is apologizing for having a sash, and trying to hide it a bit!

Bit of a disappointment.

On a side track, there was a thread a while ago discussing fan ideas for a new US kit, and I have been trying to find it, with no luck! Anyone got a clue where it is! Thanks!

16. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's embarrassing, that's what it is.

17. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I am not a big fan of the sash, if you are going to do a sash or any other pattern, go bold. Otherwise, why even bother?

18. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I'm in the minority here but I actually like it quite a bit. I was hoping I could pre-order it today but it looks like I will have to wait until Thursday.

I do know that I waited and didn't pre-order/order early enough in 2006 and I wasn't able to find a home jersey to buy anywhere come late May/early June. Not this time.

19. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the point of having a sash, if it's barely visible? Seriously, what were the designers thinking? IMO, a red sash would have looked good on that shirt.

20. BoondockTodd

BoondockTodd Member

May 29, 2009
    Belmont, NC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone got a link to the unveiling in NYC? Pictures or video or anything.

21. IncredibleStan1

Feb 17, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The home jersys actually don't look that bad. They would look better if the sash was a bit more...noticable i guess. Like if the sash had an outline of blue or was blue or red...i'm sure that came up in meetings regarding what color the home sash should be. not sure why they thought an almost invisible sash would look better then a red or white...needs some contrast..

22. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    A red sash = Peru.

[​IMG]

23. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    I thought that was Thursday and that you could pre-order starting as of today? Or am I confused? :confused:

24. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The sash as is looks almost like it is apologizing for being there, and trying to hide its shame!

25. ClevelandForce

Jan 27, 2010
    The fit of the blue "sash" jersey is really wacky. I've been wearing medium Nike jerseys for years now....at least, since the '06 cycle.....and a medium has always been a fine fit. This time, though, the medium is big and floppy on me. What makes it more annoying is that the small is way too snug. Argh at Nike.

Anyone else finding the new shirts to run large, compared to the last 2 cycles at least?