While We're on Pause: Liga MX & MLS (Future) Merger?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Apr 21, 2020.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting article that goes over the rumors, which have been gaining steam lately. Liga MX and MLS want to merge but need to work out the logistics and the financials. This guy also has an interesting idea for how they could implement a league and still keep MLS and Liga MX too...

https://sports.yahoo.com/mls-liga-mx-soccer-north-american-super-league-format-204425253.html

At the other end of the table, every season, the two worst U.S./Canadian teams would be relegated into MLS; the two worst Mexican teams would be relegated into Liga MX. (There could be some sort of relegation playoff.) Two teams from each – based on their respective seasons – would come up into the SLN. MLS would be 20 teams.

2. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Andy and I have been discussing this on the show (dare I say predicting) this for, I dunno, six years? We're not genius' but there have been so many clear advantages to a merger from a long time ago, and slowly there was buzz and rumors of talks at the highest levels.

But in the last 24 months so many things have aligned that at this point it will be a shock if it doesn't happen just after the 2026 WC in, North America.

I did enjoy Bushnell's structure idea - not considered that one before, and it's pretty smart.