Which would you rather have?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by GoRapids, Sep 19, 2003.

1. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Heh ... different thread made me think of this ...
    thanks GSchoeder (sp ... sorry)

Which would you rather have if you could only have one.

2. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I haven't been to Invesco since the Amer. football lines were added, but I enjoyed the games I saw there this year. The field is nice. The stadium is well-located. If the Rapids have a decent deal at Invesco, I don't see why a SSS is immediately necessary. I would love to see a championship at the end of the year, especially considering how bad it began.

Quango

3. The Legend

The Legend New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Colorado, Where Lege
    Could be both

4. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Gimme hardware first. Then gimme a cool stadium to house the cup in

5. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Don't mention it.

I voted for the MLS Cup. But if they said today that we had to choose from ever having a SSS and winning the cup this year, I'd have to go with the SSS. I think some people may not realize how much MLS has to revolve around Football schedules. I'd give alot to not be pimped by Pat Bolan.
    BUT, I think we are so close this year to being able to win the whole thing, and I'd really like to make that trip to the HDC.

6. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cup first. The Rapids need some hardware... Besides, the SSS looks like it will eventually happen. While we can say that eventually, the Raps will win the MLS Cup, it's not as assured....

Maybe we should ask this question to the Burn fans... They've got a new SSS on the way, and it seems to be holding them together.... Without that, dude, I don't know what they would do....

7. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want a Cup. The stadium will come as all owners learn that is the way to profitability. Especially if we have a new owner who is not already on the hook for other SSS projects in DC, NYC and LA.

8. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    The Cup all the way! We are lucky enough to have a good lease in a nice facility. You can buy a stadium, but you can't buy a championship (at least in MLS.)

9. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

Baby steps. One day we'll be at that level. :)

10. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    The cup first. I'm actualy okay with the current digs.

I'll take the SSS next year, thank you :)

11. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Let me buck the trend here. I'll go with the SSS.

I like Invesco. I don't think its the worst place we could be playing soccer (although front row of 123 is so far from the action still). The only time I hate Invesco is (A) when football starts and lines conflict on the field, and (B) I need the good beer place to be open more often (damnit, I am not going to drink Coors ;-)

Anyway. Getting an SSS would be a sign to me that we have ownership who are serious about us competing for the cup every year.

Don't get me wrong, I want the cup. I just want a future in which we are competitive every year, and floundering in mediocrity is not accepted.

12. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    The Cup. I don't want the Rapids to end up being that one MLS team that has the distinction of never having won the big one.

13. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

Thats what Dallas is for.

14. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cup. Damn I was thinking maybe I should have put an exclamation mark by that statement, and another one here.

15. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    people keep posting : Cup ... but the vote sure is close :)

16. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    I agree with this. Especially the part about the committment once the stadium is built. I'd love to have the championship, but a new, non Anschutz owner and another SSS says very good things about the league, and that is my preference.

Funny that the vote is close but the comments seem to strongly favor the cup!

17. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see a relation between SSS and side competing for the cup every year. League parity has taken away a team's ability to choose their own destiny. For example, Columbus has a SSS, have they won the Cup? Well, the US Open Cup, but not MLS Cup. LA is going to have trouble winning the cup this year without a Revolutions like turnaround. Dallas obviously doesn't have the stadium yet, but it is coming.

There is nothing in MLS that says a SSS will bring a cup. So get the Cup while the team can!

18. J.A.

J.A. New Member

May 10, 2003
    Denver
    Cup.
    Get what we can get, while we can get it.

19. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the option for [​IMG]? Anyway I'd rather have a SSS, yeah a cup would be great for a year, but how much more enjoyable would going to games be if we had a place of our own where we wouldn't have to give our parking and beer money to the wellfare kings?

20. LuvMLS

LuvMLS New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I want both and I want both now!! How great would it be win the Cup get news that we are getting a stadium built downtown!! You heard it here!! It could happen.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show me the hardware. Right now only New England and the Metros join us in not having won one of the MLS Cup, Open Cup or Supporter's Shield(That includes both disbanded Florida teams as well) and I don't want to be the last team off that list.

22. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trophies please

I'll take the cup first. As long as there's a decent place to watch'em play, I don't care whether it's an SSS or not.

23. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Now that the stadium seems to be a certainty, maybe I should switch my vote and go with the MLS Cup ;-)