Which will happen first? MLS wins CCL or Liga MX wins Copa Libertadores

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Beavis Stiffler, Feb 13, 2013.

?

Which one would you like to see happen first?

1. MLS team winning CONCACAF Champions League

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. Liga MX team winning Copa Libertadores

13 vote(s)
    44.8%
  1. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That I did not know. Also, I'm not terribly clear on how MX teams balance Lib and CCL. I know CONCACAF demands that the CCL be populated with their winners and not just their best short of who goes to the Libertadores.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 4 Mexican finalists (from Apertura and Clausura finals) have to play in the CCL.

For Libertadores only the Apertura tournament matters, making Apertura more important IMO (at least the Regular season part, the cup/liguilla is the same for both) so to qualify to Copa Libertadores a team must finish in the top 3 for the Apertura tournament, unless one or more of the top 3 teams is playing the CCL.

This year it was the best 3 teams since none of them where playing in the CCL.

Think of the CCL teams as Canadian teams in MLS, they get skipped over if they finish in a CCL qualifying spot and the CCL spot drops to the next best American team.

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, Xolos just beat world champions Corinthians.

Not bad for a club's first ever international tournament...

ImaPuppy repped this.
  4. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's group stage though, right?

5. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yeah

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, MLS teams have already won the title in CONCACAF, just before it was "rebranded" as CCL. So that has already happened. No Mexican team has ever won Libertadores.

I thought RSL would win Concacaf a couple years back, and LA layed a huge egg when I thought they had a shot as well, not even making the final.

Still, after today, we'll likely see at least two MLS teams in the SF, if not three. That is progress of a sort. I'll take MLS, but both could happen soon.