Which teams/players are these?

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by mosler, Mar 28, 2007.

1. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    My brother gave my son a small rubber soccer ball with a photo stuck inside it. I'm wondering if anyone can help identify the teams and players pictured.

Not #6 in the blue there obviously, I'm curious about the folks pictured in the background :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The match was a 1st round match between Holland and England in the WC 1990. The match ended in a goalless draw. The player in white should be David Plate. The orange player was Ronald Koeman.

3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I meant David Platt.

4. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    What are you seeing that tells you all that?

5. erictheking

erictheking Member

Feb 2, 2004
    It's not from 1990. England didn't have red on the shorts then. The kit looks like it from around 1993

6. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    Anyone have any new insight? I've had trouble finding good photos of the 1990 uniforms to compare to what we have here.

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The players are correct, but the match might not be right. The top uniforms for both teams were similiar to the ones in 1990. Sorry, I jumped the gun. The match should be a WCQ between England and Holland in 1993. They played twice that year.

Another image of Koeman and "Platt" from one of the WCQers in 1993. The same match(?).

[​IMG]

8. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    That sure looks similar. One thing is that the signage in my pic is at field level while there signage in the picture above is behind the first section of seating. But perhaps this is different on each side of the pitch?

9. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If you post the same photo in the Dutch forum, I am sure that someone can identify the player in the background. I think he is Jan Wouters. Notice the hairline.

[​IMG]

10. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    Excellent suggestion. Thanks for your help!

11. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The guy in blue =

Bobby Moore #6
    West Ham :)

[​IMG]

Seriously, Aston Villa and West Ham are the only clubs that dressed in that color combination. Moore #6 is the most famous players for both teams.

12. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    The match depicted in the background is the England - Holland World Cup Qualifier in Rotterdam - 13 October 1993.

The picture in the globe is from the Wembley match - 28 April 1993.

13. braine

braine Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Belgium
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    What make you deceide that its in the Wembley-game ?
    It seems to me that Ronald Koeman is wearing the armband of captain of his team...*
    And in the picture in the globe Koeman is already grabbing the jersey of David Platt...
    The other picture (not the one in the globe)is taken from a different angle and there you can see the pulling of the jersey has does his effect :D
    The man in the background seems to me indeed Jan Wouters...

* Thats an important fact coz in Wembley it was Wouters thats being the captain,in Rotterdam it was...Koeman !

PS. In Rotterdam Ronald Koeman should have been get a red card instead of a yellow (one forward from England was running alone to the goal to get an one-on one to the GK,Koeman brings him down*)
    Later on it was Koeman that opens the score from a free-kick...

* Im just considering : should it be THAT moment on this photo ??

14. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's been solved months ago guys