Which team's more popular?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Korean Football, Sep 17, 2003.

1. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    I was a Dolphins fan last year b/c it always meant easier tests in physics on Mondays or Tuesdays if they won.:)

2. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    You mis-spelled "Ohio."

3. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Ian, if what you were saying is true, a bunch of North Jerseyites who root for the Rangers & Knicks would have dumped them and filled the Meadowlands in recent years because of the success of the Nets & Devils.

But as it is, during the regular season, both Jersey teams could use a few more bandwagon jumpers. :(

4. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    New York, for all the teams they have, probably wins on a lesser basis than any other city (except Chicago, maybe).

More recent NBA title: Detroit
    More recent NHL title: Detroit
    More recent NFL title: (Do you guys have an NFL team? The New Jersey Giants and Jets play in another state for crying out loud)
    More recent MLB title: Ok, congratulations
    College sports: University of Michigan and Michigan State blow away any NY college sports in the number of titles won.

You're just jealous because the Detroit Shock won the WNBA championship last week.

5. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see northern New Jersey is purposely left out of the New York metropolitan area for the purposes of your fuzzy math, Ian. (And the two NFL teams who play in Jersey didn't go retro putting "NY" back on their respective helmets for nothing.) :D

If you had factored in New Jersey's contributions to sporting life in the New York Tri-State Area, Motown would still have edge regarding the NBA & NCAA but that's about it.

Oh yeah, and when did the Lions ever win anything??

6. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A beautiful post. The only New York area team I like are the Metros. I hate hockey, hate both NY baseball teams (although I hate the Yankees a lot more than the Mets), and hate both NY football teams. I don't mind either of the basketball teams, but I am a bad fan of basketball teams, I love the sport but like too many teams (Knicks, Mavericks, Nets, Clippers). In every other sport, I only like one team.

7. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian's was a flawed post. Shall we reassess the above with the Jersey factor (and counting the Giants and Jets as well)?

More recent NBA title: Still Detroit
    More recent NHL title: Devils, baby. :D
    More recent NFL title: Giants. Obviously, Ian's trying to make up for the fact that the Lions haven't been to a Super Bowl and last won an NFL title in 1957. Even if you discount the Giants' Super Bowls, the Jets were playing in Queens when they won it all in '69.
    More recent MLB title: Yeah, we know.
    College: Still Hail Hail & Go Green, Go White

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBA: The Knicks have been dominant throughout the 90's, making it to 2 NBA Finals and god knows how many playoff appearances in a row. Yeah, Detroit has a more recent title, but what have they done up until recently?
    NHL: Well you're named Hockey Town for cryin out loud.
    NFL: Well......they're named the New York Giants and New York Jets. Plus the Jets used to play at Shea and the Giants used to play at the Polo Grounds. Just because they have changed locations means nothing.
    College Sports: Luckily I don't give a crap.
    MLB: the Mets. That's right. I said THE METS.

9. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    FYI, I was referring to Michigan State, not the Rumeal Robinson lot from Ann Arbor.

10. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    This is rubbish, of course. Most of the fans I know wouldn't be caught dead going over to the other side. Despite being a Yankee supporter, I even rooted for the Red Sox in the 1986 World Series. That's how much I hate the Mets.

And an accusation such as the one you made can only be charged against a city with as many teams as the New York area has. Do I smell jealousy out there?

11. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    You rooted for the Sux? Aye Aye Aye.........

I think I did what EVERY REAL Yankee fan did and that was not even paid attention.

Also to give my own personal loyalties, they are pretty much Yankees-Giants, but the reason I got into both were unrelated. I got into the Giants because thats who my family liked. And back then growing up in Hudson Co. NJ meant Mark Bavaro and LT were gods.

And I got into the Yankees cause thats who my friend in grade school like(and he was a Jets fan!). As I got into B-Ball and Hockey later in my high school years I simply chose to go the "hometeam" route and root for the Devils and Nets, I figured it'll be fun rooting for the guys next door rather than some teams out in the city.

So Im a Northern NJite Giants-Yankees-Devils-Nets-Metros fan.

12. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You're a Yankee fan and you admit that you rooted for the RED SOX?? No die-hard Yankee fan would ever do such a thing. I smell jealousy of the Mets back in '86, on your part.

13. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I don't deny I hate the Mets to such an unreasonable extent that I'll root for anybody they play in a World Series. Besides, I always prefer the American League team to win the World Series anyway.

The fact of the Mets having a parade on Wall Street and putting up with their fans throughout the winter is something I'm glad I've only had to deal with twice in my life. If the Red Sox ever do win, at least I won't be living in the same city as their fans and they won't be marching down my streets.

And was I jealous in '86? Yeah, I guess I was.

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Any real Yankees fan worth his life hates the red Sux and wishes them to lose every game and never win anything. And honestly, most Yankees fans don't hate the Mets. Call it arrogance or whatever, but they have never seriously challenged the Yanks for anything, and probably never will. Boston on the other hand..... well they just suck!

15. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Boston has always been the #1 hated team for NYY because of tradition and history. The Mets dont hold a candle to that and any REAL Yankees fan will tell you that. The Mets hatred comes simply because they play in the same city, but they rarely ever played each other before interleague play and the subways series. That is ALOT to throw away just cause the guy next door you never even played with, is playing the guys in the same league as you.

Mets are STILL hated ALOT but no REAL fans would put aside the Red Sux hatred and root FOR THEM even id it meant they were playing the Taliban for world domination.

16. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I actually rooted for the Mets in 86 because I hated the Red Sox more. I would in theory root for an AL team, but I hated the Red Sox more than I cared about the Mets and at least it made my friends happy that the Mets won. Also, what I really wanted was for the Red Sox to lose in the most painful way possible. To ask for something so spiteful and be rewarded with watching the ball dribble through bucker's legs, to watch Boggs cry on the bench at the end of game 7, I felt guilty for asking. Thankfull, but guilty for being so richly rewarded with Boston pain.

As mentioned, most Yankee fans don't take the Mets seriously. The Mets never played the Yankees when I was a kid, and comparing 2 titles to 23 (back then) was laughable. Then 2000 rolled around. My boss was a huge Met fan. I said nothing the entire series. She was convinced they would win and talked trash, I said nothing and was silent. I didn't even gloat. But since then, the Yankee-Met relationship has gotten worse, to me. The Yankees have continued their success (making the playoffs at least), while the Mets have fallen off the cliff. This has made some Met fans humble, others bitter.

My only real hatred for the Mets is towards some of their fans, who seem to spend more time hating the Yankees than rooting for the Mets. To be on the receiving end of so much useless jealousy is annoying.

17. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ditto Chicago - Sox fans seem to spend more time hating the Cubs than actually bothering to watch their own team.

18. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, a Yankee fan choosing the Sox over the Mets. Now I've heard it all.

As a die hard Met fan, am I jealous of the Yankees? Well hell yeah! 26 to 2. Beat us in the 2000 World Series on our home turf was painful (well, after I got sober). My hatred spawns from the jealousy I have of the Bronx Bombers. I won't deny it. I can't stand being second place in the same city. But then again, as a Ranger fan, I understand why Islander fans hate us so much.

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Let's Go Rangers!!!!!

Potvin sucks! He's the biggest wanker of them all!!

20. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn.

I miss being able to say "1940!!!"

21. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm jumping into this a bit late, but I'd rather the Mutts win the Series any day over Boston. (My brother roots for them, but I'm a Yankee fan.)

How else can we Yankee fans perpetuate the whole "Curse of the Bambino" hex we have on the Sux? My first joy in baseball is the Yankees winning the World Series. My second is Red Sox failures.

I believe that some day, Boston may break this curse and win a World Series. But until then, I will laugh at their stumbling, bumbling attempts.

If you were a Yankee fan watching the '86 Series, you weren't so much rooting for the Mets as hoping the Sox would blow it yet again. And ohhh what a way to blow it. Real Yankee fans were laughing out loud at the end of Game 6. Whatever become of good old Bill Buckner, anyway?

22. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the RoadRunner actually hated Wil E Coyote. Same way, I don't hate the BoSox. I despise the Mets and the Braves. Yes, I was rooting for the BoSox. A true Yankee fan has pity and a certain amount of gruesome fascination with the one-sided rivalry. Why hate the BoSox, they've done nothing to the Yankees. I wouldn't hate a punching bag either. Or a parapalegic.

23. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hate this as well. I find it truly annoying that all the new jacks who are sweating the Nets were talking about Starks dunking over the Bulls ten years ago. Also, good point about Yankees fans these days being front-runners and Mets fans in the 80s being the front-runners, oh so true.

My teams have always been Giants-Yankees-Knicks-Rangers.

I do admit tho as a kid, I was pulling for the Jets in the MudBowl, and I watched the 86 World Series and pulled for the Mets (cuz it's a NY team).

I will never EVER root for the Isles.

24. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Err... call me a "new jack." :eek:

Though I will say that if you are a New Yorker, you have less reason to have jumped on the Net bandwagon than a Jerseyite... unless you one of those types that claim to have liked the Nets since the Dr. J days. :rolleyes:

My teams have been Giants-Yankees-Knicks-Devils. I've rooted for the hockey team in Jersey against the hockey teams in NYC since I started following hockey, but the basketball team in NYC against the basketball team in NJ. Mixed-up? Damn right. Nets bandwagon hopping? Should purely be a Jersey thing.

25. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I work in the sports memorabilia business and I've noticed that the Jets seem to be "l'equipe du jour," so to speak. Or they were until Pennington went down. But either that Newsday poll was out of date or sampled the wrong areas, because the Yankees are New York without a doubt. At least for now. They get the most print, their merchandise seems to sell the most, and only Shockey has that same profile that all of the Yankees posess. I'd say that the Rangers and Giants have the most stalwart fans. But Jet fans make for a better crowd. I was watching that MNF game and I couldn't believe the Giants had actually come back and taken the lead. You never would've suspected it from the crowd noise, or lack thereof.