Which teams advance from group B?

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco' started by Edwardinho, May 4, 2018.

?

Which teams advance from group B?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2018.
  1. Spain

38 vote(s)
    79.2%
  2. Morocco

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Iran

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Portugal

33 vote(s)
    68.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
    I prefer Spain and Morocco/Iran.

2. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think so too bro! I think Portugal goes 0-3 with a GD of -12. I wish we had easier teams in our group, like France or something.

Ramos77 and NewLaw83 repped this.
  3. Show Business

Show Business Red Card

Borussia Dortmund
    May 2, 2018
    In deep south
    Portugal and Marocco is my though.

4. Flipo

Flipo Member

Real Madrid
    Germany
    Aug 7, 2017
    Iran kept 11 players in defence at World cup 2014 against Argentina. They played defensive game against the strong opponent. So, I think there will be no chance for Iran.
    Spain and Portugal have 90% chance.

5. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Besides Messi's goal, Iran had the better chances.

Lol if Huddersfield parks the bus vs Manchester United no one bats an eye. Its a crime if Iran does.

Zandi360 and tudobem62014 repped this.
  6. Flipo

Flipo Member

Real Madrid
    Germany
    Aug 7, 2017
    And what about Spain?

7. Flipo

Flipo Member

Real Madrid
    Germany
    Aug 7, 2017
    Defensive playing is not a crime, but a team should play for the win.

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The most likely team to advance from this group is Spain. The next best bet on paper is Portugal, but in reality, Portugal's chances depend largely on two outcomes: first, whether there is a winner in the Morocco/Iran game? If so, that winner will have at least a 50% chance of taking the 2nd spot in the group. Second, whether Portugal manages to beat Morocco in the 2nd game? If Portugal fail to get 3 points from Morocco, and either Iran or Morocco have won their opener against one another, Portugal's chances will fall below 50%.

Flipo repped this.
  9. Flipo

Flipo Member

Real Madrid
    Germany
    Aug 7, 2017
    very good analysis. have a like. :):)

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Spain and Portugal.

11. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    No, your logic is wrong.

Portugals chances depend on their own ability to win games.. and not the result of the Morocco/Iran game.

If Portugal can produce a positive result v Spain (which there is no reason to think they cant), they have a 90% chance of going through..

Man, some of the things you say are completely... retarded.

artielange84 and verde-rubro repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree with you for the most part here. Although the reason I have to think that Spain will beat Portugal is that they are a better team that can keep the ball away from Portugal's key players for long stretches of time.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  13. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    1.Spain
    2.Iran
    3.Portugal
    4.Morocco

14. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    It is a valid point, definitely... and entirely possible.

The one thing i would look to, as much as i do not put a crazy amount of emphasis on past results, is the fact in World Cup 2010, it took an offside David Villa goal (no VAR at the time) in a 1-0 Spain win, and PK's in Euro 2012 to defeat Portugal.

My logic behind this is between the years 2008-2012, we witnessed argubaly one of if not the best set of NT players ever assembled, who all grew up for the most part playing together at the same time, entered their primes together... versus a portugal team who though talented, was under the wrong leadership and never really played to their potential.

In other words, Spain though strong, is not nearly as strong as they were between 2008-2012... and Portugal, is much stronger then they were in 2010-2012..

The historical background, and familiarity between the players (alot have played in Spain/playing in Spain) suggests it will not be nearly as lopsided as some posters come in here thinking it will be.

NewLaw83 and verde-rubro repped this.
  15. brauliovl

brauliovl New Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 16, 2018
    Spain and Portugal, for sure.

16. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Upsets happen all the time and in a low scoring game (as soccer tends to be) the margin for error is small so yes there can be upsets. That being said, if all the teams play to their potential, Portugal and Spain should go through. Anything different would be an upset.
    For the record, Portugal has always played Spain very tough. We are huge rivals and our players are always up for those games. The last two tournament games against Spain was a 1-0 on a clear offside goal and a PK loss to Spain. That game was so close that even PKs were close. Deciding PKs, Portugal hit the post and ball went out, Spain hit post and went in. Thats how small the margin of error has been between these two teams.
    Now if Spain and Portugal both play to their potential, I expect Spain to finish first and Portugal in second

12th Man and artielange84 repped this.
  17. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Spain and Portugal

18. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada

Do you really think Portugal is significantly better than 2010-2012? I honestly don't know what to think of them, and I'm definitely not sold that they're substantially better. Is it the Euro '16 crown that has you this confident?

They certainly did a nice job in qualification in both of their past two campaigns but in WC '14 they were bad, and at the Euro '16's they weren't very good either. I know, it sounds like an idiotic comment, and full props to them for taking home the title but if you watched the games themselves?

Draw with Austria
    Draw with Iceland
    Draw with Hungary
    Extra time win over Croatia three minutes before Pk's were to start (I can't remember the game, stats definitely seem to favor Croatia)
    PK win over Poland
    Beat up on Wales
    Extra Time win over France in Final (France outplayed you guys)

I don't know. On the one hand, great teams win when they're playing sub par, on the other hand how many of those performances were convincing? Were quality? One. Scoreboard is scoreboard, but it's still, one quality performance. Alongside Greece in '04, and probably Denmark in '92, Portugal in '16 will go down as one of the stranger champions to emerge triumphant.

I just don't see it. Portugal still looks like a legit side in the world, but of the second tier, and not the first. I also think they're not what they once were, rather than better than what they once were. UEFA qualifying always looks strange from afar, it always seems like some teams get cake groups, and then 1 or 2 end up incredibly unlucky and you get a group with Spain and Italy, or a group with France and the Netherlands, and then a bunch of other groups where the difference between the Pot 1 side, and the Pot 2 side is much more stark.

I have Portugal advancing on this, but I've definitely put a teeny bit down on Morocco pulling a shocking result. They were superb in qualifying in a reasonably difficult group and are well coached. They could pull of a surprise.

I got the sense that Spain's transition WC (even though they didn't know it) was more 2014-2016, then at present, but maybe I'm wrong, not sure. I just get the sense that they're moving away from the '06-'16 generation.

If I were to predict, I'd put it at:

Spain 9
    Portugal 4
    Morocco 4
    Iran 0

But I think Iran could still pull off a draw, or an upset win, just not take 1st or 2nd, and I think Morocco has a decent chance, maybe 40%, of taking a ticket to the round of 16. Morocco's currently at +320 to make it out of the group, so not a bad bet in my eyes as a long shot, still, the smart money's on Spain and Portugal.

19. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    On paper this is a MUCH better team than 2010 through 2014 squads. Especially, midfield and Forwards/strikers.

The only concern/possible "weakness" is at CB. Portugal's 4 CB they brought to the tournament are Pepe(35), Fonte(34), Alves(36), and Dias(21). Pepe seems like he is all good but I worry about Fonte's and Alves' pace as the tourney goes on. Dias has a lot of upside and has done great for Benfica in the Portuguese Liga but I will be a little concerned about his experience. CB is the toughest position on the field and is usually best having a bit more experience to do well. So Portugal does not have any CBs in their "prime" going into this WC.

Compared to the 2016 team, the 2018 team also has a lot more depth at midfield and much better forwards. Bernardo Silva got an injury before the Euros so he missed that whole tourney and is completely healthy at the moment. Andre Silva has shined playing next to Ronaldo during qualifying. Both Gonçalo Guedes and Bruno Fernandes will surprise a lot of people of how good they are.

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like any other World Cup, the group winner will get 6-9 points, second place will be 4-7 points. If Iran vs Morocco has no winner, then both of them are probably out. Otherwise, the winner has a chance to claim second. Spain are clear favorites to take the group. If Spain v Portugal has a winner, and Iran v Morocco has a winner, then this group gets very interesting.

Prediction: Spain 2 - 1 Portugal
    Iran 2 - 2 Morocco

Spain and Portugal go through.

21. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Interesting that Morocco had, I presume before today, half as many votes as Spain and Portugal. In another forum I had made the case that Morocco might be a great darkhorse to splash some on money for those who are inclined to gamble.

I didn't really believe it. It was more friends asking for a great darkhorse, you know, a better darkhorse than Belgium which isn't a darkhorse. I'm intrigued by the interest in Morocco.

22. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    After this 1st round, I'd say:
    Spain 7
    Portugal 5
    Iran 4
    Morocco 0

23. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Has to be Spain and Portugal. Anyone's guess who finishes first.