Which team would you cheer if,

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by strawberryfields, Dec 19, 2005.

1. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Red Card

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    Which team would you be rooting for if the US fails to go to the next round of the next WC ? .... my heart says Germany and if it out too, i think I would do it for Holland ...

2. metrofan_goal23

metrofan_goal23 New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Virginia
  3. NaMusa75

NaMusa75 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Unfortunately, SoCal
    Being a country of immigrants (everyone except the Native Americans are descended from immigrants), I would imagine most people would begin cheering for their mother countries ... and then when those are ousted ... ?

I'd cheer for anyone outside of Brazil. Not that I don't like them, but it's time to share the love of lifting the World Cup trophy ...

4. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Agreed. In fact, I'd love to see a completely new winner (ie. not Germany, Italy, England, etc.). I think it would be wonderful-- if the US fails in their attempt-- to see The Netherlands win it all.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the US can't win it, I'd rather have any non-UEFA or non-CONMEBOL team win it...unless it were Mexico.

6. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT
    Holland, hands down.

7. The Lion Keeper

The Lion Keeper New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    In the 18. Dallas
    I would go for Holland.
    It would be great to see such a small country, who develops such great talent, win it all given their small population.
    Brazil is great but they have a big advantage of being such a huge, high population, Soccer crazed nation with a huge pool of talent, as does Argentina.

Some other little guys by population are:

Switzerland 7.5 million
    Sweden 9.0
    Togo 5.7
    T and T 1.1 The smallest.

Brazil population 189 million.
    Only the U.S. has a bigger population in this World Cup. Too bad we're not Soccer crazed, we could be good too.

8. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the USA gets knocked out, I'll cheer for whoever beats Mexico or Brazil.

9. roggie15

roggie15 New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My friend's mom's side is from Switzerland so I guess I would cheer for them if they get through. I also have a good friend who was a German foriegn exchange student so I might cheer for them. Other than that I like England.

10. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if USA gets knocked out, then i'd cheer for ecuador.
    if both get knocked out.. i wouldn't cheer one way or another.. just as long as the matches are interesting. although, i would probably cheer against mexico ;)

11. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    After the U.S. and England (my country of origin), the African countries. They are the ultimate underdogs.

12. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    There was another thread like this, and I stated England, Holland, and Australia. It's getting a hell of a lot harder to keep Australia on the list with the amount of trolls coming from Roo-land. Still, I'll probably root for them. I'll also root for whoever could possibly beat the USA, except Italy. I will never root for them unless it has an affect on the USA. Even then I'd have to cheer and vomit in equal proportions. :D

13. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

wow you would root for GERMANY...thanks a lot!!!

but Holland?:)...hm ....

14. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

oh, oh Holland again...it hurts my german heart:)....Holland is our biggest rival....If Holland win the world cup in GERMANY, it will be the biggest national trategy in Germany and Dutch would laugh at us. NO. This can not happen. Some other country can win the WC, but not Holland. Anyway I hope it will be Germany. We play home and we should win. At least I think. But no Holland.

I root for USA, so I hope many my american friends here would root for Germany and not for Holland. How can you do this to me?:)

Bltleo
    GERMANY

15. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    If England go out, then it has to be the U.S., then Australia. After that, I don't know but I guess we all like Brazil.

16. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I root beside Germany for USA

USA is my second favorite team.

I wish USA go at least to halffinale!!...

They are damn good.

Good luck US boys

17. zane_1984

zane_1984 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    New York,The Bronx
    lol the usa will never win a WC

18. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

don´t never say NEVER in soccer language

everything is possible.

If I tell you that I believe that Germany will win the WC, you would think that I got crazy?:)...

bltleo
    GERMANY

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and Portugal will never lose to the US, just like Cameroon didn't stand a chance against Argentina and surely the Italians will put an end to South Korea's dreams!

20. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Yeah that'd be cool -- but why not Mexico?
    We should be sharing the love with our neighbors......with more Mexican immigrant coming into the states why not support our neighbors? I understand the huge rivalry but if Mexico would win the WC that'd say a heck of a lot about the US's chance at winning one soon!

21. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd pull for Italy and Ukraine (I studied in Italy for a semester, and have Italian and Ukranian background, among others.)

I have no strong affinity for other teams, but in a match-up of neutrals, I'd pull for Holland and Brazil thanks to attacking soccer as well as the Milan links (Van Basten as coach, Kaka and Cafu as players.)

22. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As my wife was born and raised in Brazil and her entire family still lives there, my dream match-up is the Bra:US 2nd round game.

I will have to cheer for the winner of that game going forward. I have told my inlaws that the Brazil playing the US is like arm wrestling a girl. They really can't win.

If they blow the US out, then they merely back up the smack that they generally talk. If the US makes it close, then they dont.

If we win, I will NEVER let them live it down.

They are truly nervous.

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they're our biggest rival, and we'd NEVER hear the end of it.

I do share the love with our neighbors, just not the love of their soccer team.

Then I just assume we go ahead an win it. :cool:

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    The Steelers.

25. NaMusa75

NaMusa75 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Unfortunately, SoCal
    SCREW 'EM! LOL. :S It's an intense rivalry (think Boston-New York in baseball) ...