Which team will be the biggest surprise at World Cup?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by sarabella, May 27, 2006.

1. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Which team will be the biggest surprise at World Cup?

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think too many would be shocked of a good Australian run, but if Costa Rica did well I think that would shock quite a few and they are quite capable.

3. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gratified to see that the US isn't on the list :rolleyes:

I think the Ticos aren't as strong as they were. I should have voted for the Ukraine, I think....

4. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    I wanted to vote for Paraguay because I think they'll get out of their group but Paraguay went to the second round in 1998 and 2002 so that actually wouldn't be that much of a stunner.

From these teams, I picked Ukraine because they are a decent team and got a crappy group. They'll get out of their group and who knows they might win a game and get to the quarters.

5. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Do you really think the US doing well would be a surprise? I think it would be more of a disappointment if they didn't. I'm not saying they'll win the whole thing, but not making out of the group stages would certainly be below expectations (as far as the fans are concerned).

6. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    I would have picked Ivory Coast, except they're in the toughest group.

I picked Australia instead.

I also think Ukraine and Iran will both turn some heads.

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  8. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Côte d'Ivoire
    Australia
    Iran

9. beautifulgamer

beautifulgamer New Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Serbia is capable of pulling a Greece (Euro 2004). They are finally focusing on defending, team play and discipline and given their high technical ability this makes them a danger for any team in the tournament. And, since they are not even mentioned in the poll attached to this thread, they could in fact be the surprise of surprises...

10. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    only if they win...

11. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think Iran has a legitimate chance at emerging from their group. i say this because Portugal, while a superior side from most aspects, sometimes plays down to the competition. Mexico should pass thru, along with Portugal, but Iran might surprise.

in the Brasil/Croatia/Australia group, i cannot see the Aussies making it to the second round. Croatia is a good side, even if their uniforms are wacky. i know that FIFA rankings are not the best indicator of quality, but Croatia is in the top 25, along with Iran, and Australia is just outside the top 40.

in the Cote d'Ivoire group, with Argentina and the Dutch, Cote d'Ivoire would have to pass thru to be a big surprise, and that's a real stretch, more than France's tank job in the last WCF. what would have to happen, IMO, is for there to be 3 draws and Cote d'Ivoire beats S&M by goal differential enough to have them qualify. one thing in their favor is that they have a lot of int'l experience up front, with 48 goals from their strikers. that's significantly better than the Nederlands and a bit better than Argentina, but one must consider the competition they have been playing against.

in that group, if Milosevic can carry Serbia and Montenegro, and he is 32, they have a chance...

12. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    Iran

They're gonna go through to the next round with Portugal.

13. kenny.c

kenny.c New Member

May 22, 2006
    glasgow
    i think trinidad and tobago will be a suprise...just have a gut feeling about them :)

14. eu sou eu

eu sou eu New Member

May 3, 2006
    I forgot...
  15. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ivory Coast and Australia for me.

Wouldn't suprise me if Paraguay did well too.

16. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why Milosevic? he hasn't had a central role in the team in a couple years...most fans don't even want him to be in the starting 11.

If someone is going to do the carrying, it will be on the back of Dejan Stankovic.

17. GreenIsle

GreenIsle Red Card

Dec 28, 2005
    Green I/Prt Douglas
    For me I hope it is my team, but I also suspect the Ukraine will be pushing to advance.Good defence, world class striker and holding midfielder, and good wingers like Gusev.And of course then there's Schevchenko.In fact, I think there is every chance they could finish on top in their group.

18. mrdeeds

mrdeeds New Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    T and T, but not based on their last game. I like the look of the Soca Warriors. Otherwise, I would love to see Iran go thru and stir up the pot.

19. canthisbe23

canthisbe23 New Member

May 22, 2006
    Australia will be one of many that "shock" the world. But also the only one that advances.

2nd Stage – Round of 16:

Germany vs Sweden
    Argentina vs Mexico
    England vs Poland
    Portugal vs Netherlands
    Italy vs Australia
    France vs Saudi Arabia
    Brazil vs USA
    Spain vs Switzerland