Which team should I support?

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by SoundersBeliever, May 8, 2009.

1. SoundersBeliever

SoundersBeliever New Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Brier, WA
    I'm an American who became interested in the A-League seeing the highlights on TV. So, which team should I support? I have absolutely no emotional ties to any part of the country, so whoever puts forth the best argument will win my support.

2. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Be a fan of the A-League altogether and leave the "Who should I support?", question for another day :)

Really, though, there's a few ways you can sort out who you'd love to support and form a connection to any of the A-League teams. All it takes is a bit of research and finding those said connections to another team, country or whatever to make you feel it:

1. Marquee signings - who were they with previously, what nationality are they?
    2. Coaching staff - did they coach your favourite teams? Did they play for your supported country?
    3. Do any clubs have financial backing or "sister club" status with any overseas clubs that you may like?
    4. Do any of the teams play in the same colours as your favourite club/s?
    5. Have you seen enough highlights to formulate what team you admire most in terms of style of play?
    6. What name appeals to you most?

All of these options can help you find a club to support. Choose any of them, choose none of them or one of them or find a reason all on your own. Either way once you're settled into it you can then decide. The only reason why I suggest waiting another season is because by the end of the next A-League version you'll have seen two new A-League teams play (North Queensland Fury and Gold Coast United).

Oh, if you want to watch a lot of good highlights from over the A-League's previous years I suggest searching YouTube for "A-League Australia".

Hope this all helps!

3. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well me personally ive grown attached to Brisbane Roar and Perth(the lil engine that could perhaps)....i know 1 thing though.....I CANT STAND Melbourne...gawd i hope Brisbane takes it to em this year

4. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth be told, I have no clue how I got to following the Victory, but I will say I love their kits, I love the pics of their city that I've seen, and they seem to draw well for that league. Plus, I love big cities. I'm originally from a big city myself (San Diego), but it exists in the shadow of a huge city, L.A., so it seems puny at times.

I'm a Vics fan.

5. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Sydney's a terrific club, terrific fans, generally the best footballing team in terms of style of play, plenty of drama, we're owned by a Russian, located in the greatest city in the country, in the greatest state etc:D.

i also agree with indiscrestion, don't support melbourne they're horrible club

6. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    It's true that Melbourne as a city has always lived in Sydney's shadow(for good reason ;)), i'd also agree that they've had the best kits for the last 2 years mostly because the rest of the league is so generic that all the kits were the same-just different colours:D, this season all the kits are being done differently and it seems Wellington will be having the best kits

7. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You should support Sydney because we're an engaging, sometimes beautiful to watch team that has been through a rough patch and is now coming out the other side with a crop of youngsters who are serious prospects.

We've lost the infantile glamour club mantle and are working on style with substance with a no-nonsense European coach who's putting the squad through the wringer and is focused on solid technique and a penetrating passing game.

And finally, our supporters are the best in the league by a mile: loud, funny, welcoming and they don't take themselves too seriously. We're a big harbour city with a diverse population and a team that reflects it. Sydney > All

8. FAR-QUE

FAR-QUE New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Newcastle United: The one and only successful Newcastle United... we play in champions league and a certain to be in the top flight next season.

Any other Newcastle United are forever in our shadow

9. SoundersBeliever

Nov 13, 2008
    Brier, WA
    Which is a tremendous accomplishment, considering you finished last in the league:rolleyes:

10. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i almost forgot 1 thing not to support....Andy Harper......i will never let down the day he said "its like taking baby from a candy" during last year's A-League semi finals......

11. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Fans with delusions of grandeur, another Newcastle United specialty :D

12. Matt.

Matt. New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Yeah, apart from the fact you finished last last season, you guys are great. :rolleyes:

13. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Dude, don't ever think about supporting such a silly club like Newcastle, easily the most amateurishly run team in the a-league from a hick-esque town:p, their owner is like a mafioso, threatens his own supporters if they disagree with him(almost threw one of them off his balcony) and is so skint that he tried to pay his player's salaries in mangoes.:D

Andy Harper is like a stuttering version of Tommy Smyth except he has worse use of Metaphors. Idiotic phrases like "baby from a candy!!!" and "there she goes baby baby!!!" and "like a spawning salmon!!!!" are very common from him. Infact, all the commentators and pundits for the a-league are idiots, none of them can put a decent sentence together without getting someone's name wrong and they all agree with eachother all the time. The only person that knows anythinig about football is Simon Hill, who is a terrific commentator as well. Pity he has to work with idiots.

14. FAR-QUE

FAR-QUE New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    In deed it is, Is there any other Newcastle United who can say that for sure? In fact I can say for sure that we are the best team called Newcastle United in the world

15. SoundersBeliever

Nov 13, 2008
    Brier, WA
    Newcastle Jets 2008-09 season-18 pts from 21 games=0.857 points per game.
    Newcastle United (England) 2008-09 season-31 pts from 34 games so far=0.911 pts per game.

16. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I agree!

17. FAR-QUE

FAR-QUE New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    now do the same for their champions league results

18. sammydog

sammydog Member

Jan 6, 2002
    Newcastle, Australia
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Best footballing team in terms of style of play???? I must have been watching a different sydney since Littbarski left.

Sydney have been horrible to watch given the players that they have had.

You want drama, newcastle is the club. Between Ljubo in the media, Con throwing fans around and not paying players, Joel sackwaking officials we have it all and that is only scratching the surface.

Last season was abysmal, but you won't see a repeat this year (I think the mariners are the team looking at a long year).

I'll agree though, the cove are great, but that group that sit in the corner are an issue when I have been down there. And wasn't it the sydney supporters that attacked one of their own players?

Taking aside Newcastle who I am more than a little biased towards, the teams that have stood out over the first few seasons (in terms of football to watch) have been Brisbane and Melbourne. Particularly now Brisbane are actually scoring goals.

19. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It was two ********wits who bashed Middleby, they had no support from the Cove or the SCC.

In terms of playing style we haven't been a joy to watch the last few years (weren't that good under Littbarski either) but I'm confident Lavicka will change that.

Then again, most the league can't really talk either:

Narrow but successful tactics with an off year after achieving.

Steady defense and Brazillian attacking flair but no finals glory.

High octane midfield, rookie wingers out the wazoo and no one who can finish.

Workhorse defense, gun strikers and no centre midfield.

Clever coaching and talented youngsters but crippling squad cleanouts every year

Big Family club but coach has one idea and it's not working.

Rebuilding side coming out of the wilderness but they wear purple.

Plenty of hype and a talented squad constantly hamstrung by revolving door boardroom and coach

20. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The best option is to simply not get your reasons from someone else.

Decide yourself. Watch the teams play, and find your favourite, from that. It's better to fall for a club, than to just casually enjoy seeing them win every now and then.

21. SoundersBeliever

Nov 13, 2008
    Brier, WA
    Newcastle Jets 7 pts from 5 games=1.4 pts per game.
    Newcastle United 0 pts from 0 games=Result of function is undefined:eek:
    You see, Newcastle United is so great that their ppg average defies logical explanation:rolleyes:

22. glorydz

glorydz New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Get on the Glory bandwagon, lots of exciting news and we're not even close to the start of the season. The club is in talks with Recoba about becoming our marquee player, while we've been linked to Kanu, Denilson and also Overmars. It's looking like our best season in the A-League yet, and it'll all kick off in the pre-season with friendlies against Wolverhampton and Fulham.

Best bet is to give the Perth Glory wiki a read, we're a team with history unlike the other teams in the A-League.

23. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Don't listen to this crazy nonconformist person, his individialistic, self reliant ideas are a danger to you and your children. ;)

24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well I'm slightly biased- but there's no competition! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. SoundersBeliever

Nov 13, 2008
    Brier, WA
    Well I haven't decided who its going to be yet, but I know it won't be Welly, Newcastle, Central Coast, because they suck, or Gold Coast, because their scum.