Which squad is better?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by jpick, Jun 18, 2008.

1. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    buffon

zambrotta--panucci--chiellini--grosso

de rossi--aquilani--ambrosini/perrotta

camo/di natale--cassano

toni​

OR

sereni

maggio--nesta--cannavaro--dossena

gattuso---pirlo
    montolivo

totti
    inzaghi--rossi​

Which squad is better and why? (If you haven't noticed the second squad is composed of players who are retired, weren't called up, injured, or suspended)

I think it is pretty close tbh, and I think I go with the second squad as the better one, IMHO.

2. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I think the second team's defense is much better and, so, would win.

3. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm assuming the 2nd squad is the present day and age squad and not these particular players in their hay day.

1st squad in a heartbeat :D

The 2nd squad would be too busy drinking Geritol and getting foot messages .:)

4. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I bet that the two squads have about the same average age, actually. If anything I think the second is younger. Someone tabulate it.

5. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Hopefully the first one, because those are the players playing in the cup....teeeheee... :D

6. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    First squad. Only two guys I would trade for in a heart beat from the second squad are Nesta and Cannavaro. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with the first squad.

7. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There are four guys who I think walk into the first squad from the second squad...totti, nesta, pirlo, and cannavaro. some players that are pretty even (montolivo=aquilani e.g.), and then there are some that one player is favored for the other, but it is close overall (toni to inzaghi, and grosso to dossena).

I think the defense is better for the second squad, midfield is pretty equal, and attack is pretty even as well (totti>>camo/di natale, cassano>rossi, toni slightly better than inzaghi)...of course, buffon is better than sereni, so that might be where the edge is gained, if any, for the first squad enough to overtake the second one, but i think the second squad is more balanced and I would have to take it myself.

still, I think it is an interesting exercise to realize that italy is greatly weakened versus what it could have been going into the spain match.

8. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    If Italy were to play its overall full strength side:

Buffon
    Zambro Nesta Cannavaro Grosso
    Aquilani Pirlo De Rossi
    Totti
    Toni Cassano ​

?

9. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah, that is the best XI, I agree...the only one I question is aquilani, but it's a toss-up, all the others I agree with unhesitatingly.

10. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    It would be some team. Nesta and Cannavaro along with Buffon are almost impossible to score against (unless Zaccardo is playing :p). Seeing Cassano and Totti playing together again would also be great.

11. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Kinda gets me a little angry that Nesta, Cannavaro and Totti aren't in there though they can be (except for Cannavaro of course). I think with the addition of those 3 players, our team would improve immensely.

12. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Totti could be there?

13. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yea, assuming he didnt retire from international play. Same with Nesta. Those two guys would easily have starting spots.

14. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
  15. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hhaha wow I totally forgot about that for a minute there. Good call Nicky.

16. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    lol But yeah. He wouldn't have gone anyway I don't think.

17. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yea def not. Him and Nesta called it quits internationally after 06, but I'm just saying, if all were fit, having those two + cannavaro would make a world of difference to italy imo.

18. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    If this group stage has taught you Azzurri faithful anything I would think it would be that two years is a long time. People change, hairstyles change... Interest rates fluctuate...