Which sport is your "first love"?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by sarabella, Aug 28, 2006.

1. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    If you had to choose one sport to watch over any other, which would it be?

(Yes, I know not everyone considers auto racing a sport, but I'm including it nonetheless).

2. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Gee Sarabella, What are is the point of this poll on this website forum? It's not really good scientific with the bias, isn't it?

:cool:

Hang loose guy.

3. Mark@the_Library

Jul 18, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    I am curious, what is the breakdown of Yank responses to non-Yank responses?

It would seem that the readers of BigSoccer are pretty faithful to futbol and only futbol. That's my situation. I don't watch any other "American" sport except futbol.

4. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Interesting poll question for a site called BigSoccer

5. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you might be surprised at how many people that frequent these boards are also sports fans in general--meaning they also enjoy following other sports.

6. youcan'tseeme

youcan'tseeme New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Alliston, Ontario
    I think overall i like soccr more then hockey as a sport but I love the Toronto Maple Leafs so much! they are now and will forever be my team Go Leafs Go!

7. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really enjoyed watching JR's Game 6 series clinching OT goal in 2004 up there in the Air Canada Centre. ;)

8. Morpheus1271

Morpheus1271 Member

May 30, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Hey, and not to defend 'auto-racing' as I'm certainly not a fan but if people can ask the question "Is Tiger Woods the greatest athlete of all time?" with seriousness, then race car drivers should be considered athletes as well.

9. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good poll, Sara. Come say hi again to the Panic thread sometime.

Hockey is my number-one sport. I love soccer a lot, but as a former sportswriter having been exposed to many different sports, I have an appreciation for many. Even though I can sit through an El Salvordean league match on Gol TV at 3 in the morning, hockey is still the king for me. The Stanley Cup playoffs are my favorite sporting event all year long, whether my team is involved or not, and they usually aren't (Capitals). Were they to ever win the whole thing, I'd probably celebrate for a night, then go jump off a building, because there'd be nothing else in this world I'd need to see.

Nothing like calling up Center Ice each night of the hockey season to see games from the east early, and then from the likes of Calgary and Edmonton late. The PBP brillance of the Kings' Bob Miller ... Hockey Night in Canada ... Panger's "Holy Jumpin!" ... and all the young stars now - Ovechkin, Crosby, soon-to-be-star Malkin, etc. ...

I went to my first game more than 20 years ago now and it's had a hold on me ever since - the likes of which soccer, despite watching 15-20 matches per week, could never, ever replicate.

10. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Soccer is the number one, the first one was basketball, actual participation is mt biking, and for several years the #1 was track and field. Hard to imagine it changing from soccer now though.

11. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SOCCER will always be my #1 Sport! But, I almost love Baseball just as much. I'm a huge New York Mets Fan, but Soccer comes first for me.

12. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with most all you said. For me, this poll is too close to call. I grew up watching hockey and love it. In my opinion, soccer is the best game there is....I absolutely love to play it (I grew up playing it), and in the last few years, I have also become a huge fan of watching it.

But for me, no sport is as exciting to watch as Stanley Cup playoff hockey, and when your team's in it, there's just nothing better, or more intense. The only thing that would trump that for me would be watching the USMNT in the World Cup Final.

13. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted soccer but it really comes down to college (american) football and soccer. Depends on the season really. I watch several others sports as well but those two take up the majority of my sport viewing time.

14. HTownSoccerGuy

Mar 29, 2005
    Houston, TX
    soccer of course, but basketball is now the number 2 sport in the world

15. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    It's not always easy to choose one. If my team is in the championship (MLS Cup, Superbowl, NCAA basketball), I won't miss it. But I can't say all 3 sports are number one. So, the importance of the individual game or affect on the season matters too.

16. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I picked basketball because I love the NCAA tournament and watch the final four instead of the night games during MLS opening weekend. I live in Raleigh, NC. The whole state goes crazy when Wake Forest, UNC, Duke, and N.C. State play each other, or play in a tournament. The NCAA Tournament is 64 games like the FIFA World Cup. In North Carolina and all around the USA people take the day off, or quit early to watch the NCAA tournament. It was estimated that the USA lost over 1 billion labor hours during the NCAA's this past year because everyone stayed home to watch, or watched on their computer at work.

I still say MLS needs to switch their opening weekend schedule. They shouldn't play while the final four is on. Play up until 6:00pm et and then play the rest of the games on Sunday.

17. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
  18. kycelt

kycelt New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Shepherdsville,KY.
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot just pick one because Soccer and American footie are my two passions.

19. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I enjoy just about any sport. I love "March Madness". I'll even watch Olympic curling! I'm only obsessed with soccer, however.. If there's a soccer game on, all other sports take a back seat, even if it's an NBA playoff game.. Since the advent of all the soccer channels and coverage on cable and satellite, the other sports have gotten very little of my time..;)

20. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    I think a better poll question would have been: If you were put on an island for 5 years, given a tv and given the choice to watch only one sport, which sport would you choose?

For me, that would be soccer.

21. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    This poll was also very hard for me since i love both Soccer and Basketball almost on an equal level. while the Colorado Rapids are my team during the summer, the Denver Nuggets are #1 from November through whenever they are knocked out of the first round lol.

22. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    For me it's soccer because theirs so much creativity you can do in the sport and it's also worldly played. Then I like secondly American football.

23. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 48 hours till the first Div 1 college football game kicks off.

24. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Soccer for me. What do you expect on a soccer forum anyway.

Odd that the poll has no options for rugby or aussie rules, considering that there are big forums for these sports as well, and quite a few fans of these sports who post here.

25. Ali_reza

Ali_reza Member

Mar 1, 2006
    khodet buz kashi bazi mikoni ?