Which SPL club should I support and WHY???

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Catfish, Sep 18, 2003.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  2. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    You must resist the dark side. Plus Morton are the Renfrewshire cup champions with a 1-0 win over Skint Midden in july.

BTW Catfish, i've been told Celtic show live games online (started at the weekend apparantly) but source isn't that reliable(a mate) and i can't be bothered checking it out for myself. You can always get morton pics and vids onlins at http://tontastic.no-ip.com

3. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    You believe correctly.

4. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    If youre talking about celtic replay then all reports ive had are its a nightmare too.

5. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Was just on tontastic there. Brings a tear to my eye how far we've come recently(check the earliest file then the champoins ones at the end of last season - what a difference!).
    Morton would really be the team to support if the seeing games thing wasn't a problem. A real team on the up and one of the only good stories coming out of Scotland at the moment. New training facilities planned as well! If only other teams had our potential at the moment!
    Div 3 champions, 7 points clear at the top of the 2nd, the biggest crowds outside the SPL, a 6-1 away win at league rivals Airdrie thne other week.

I was reading through this and i do think i come down a bit hard on the OF at points. Just to let you know my best friend is a gers fans and 3 of my cloesest friends are Celtic fans.

I really should stop stalling now and get on with my coursework for Uni!

6. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ok, how about which clubs.....

..can be heard via the Internet???

I know there are plenty of Celtic bars around the US, but are there any Rangers or other SPL support clubs in the USA???

Thanks.

7. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
  8. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question

Hey everyone, can someone give me an explanation of the term "old firm"? This seems to refer to the Celtic v. Rangers rivalry, but I was wondering what it exactly means and what is the history of the term?

9. chinaglia

chinaglia Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Florence, SC USA
    Club:
    Motherwell FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know anything about Easter Road's pitch but for every game I've been to at Fir Park and on all the tours of the stadium the pitch is not level.

10. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Re: Ok, how about which clubs.....

NARSA ( North American Rangers Supporters Association ) while not quite as big as it's Celtic counterpart is quite big . They have clubs all over the States and Canada .

I should also add that the NADSC is one of the fastest growing Dundee supporters clubs .

11. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    F- Morton ..

Come on the Dee

Dundee FC

12. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    Only 2 months late, but then again, I forgot I ever posted in this thread...

I didn't know a thing about the SPL until 1998, when I spent a winter in London. Reading the football magazines every week, that's when I discovered Celtic F.C. If I had known that about Hibs, oh, 5 YEARS AGO, then perhaps things would have ended up different.

Besides, Hibs aren't THAT bad...in Celtic's Treble-winning season, Hibs weren't far behind for most of the way, and unless memory fails me, they got to the Scottish Cup Final.

13. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Catfish, as a Fire fan I am not surprised that you would be glory hunting when shopping for an SPL team ;) I am glad that your fellow Fire fan has the sense to choose the obvious choice, Motherwell.

The choice was easy for me since that is the town of my grandmother's birth. And as a Revolution fan I can appreciate the roller coaster of emotions that the Steelmen send me on each season. But to make the case for you I would say that if you are going to arbitrarily pick an SPL side why not stay away from the old firm? Geez, that's like being a Yankees fan from Chicago. Don't get on the bandwagon, go for a team that will break your heart! Motherwell wear claret & amber, so when you buy the scarf you can look like Harry Potter!

Up the 'Well!

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Mirren or Rangers.... the choice is yours...

15. Saltire2k

Saltire2k New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Edinburgh
    Hello everyone. I found these boards the other day, when I was looking for an American team to latch onto. My internet friend lives in the North of Indiana and often visits Chicago. Fire were the team I became interested in, so that's my team.

As to what Scottish club I'd advise a non-Scot to support? I'd say visit the various clubs message boards. Some have official boards but the best, in my opinion, to read are the ones run by fans themselves. You can get a good feel for things by reading and taking part in discussions.

There's the point that, if you have friends living in Scotland, you could maybe follow the team closest to their town/city. That way you have easy access to news and even memorabillia etc.

Personally, I'm a Hibs fan. Always have been and I'll die a Hibby ;-)
    I'm a member of the largest independent Hibs news and message board and my fellow fans are the best.
    Aye, ok, I'm biased :D

I don't follow Hibs for the glory, but for the potential glory and sense of belonging to one's city. We've had some good periods in the past but have always underachieved, even when we had some of the best, most exciting players in the game.

There have been two main periods of such glory days. Once, in the fifties, when we had the 'Famous Five' forward line and won the league title, once in the 70's when Hibs gained the League Cup. Still the Scottish Cup (The glamour trophy in Scotland) has eluded us since 1902.

Most 'top' sides in Scotland have their day in the sun except the Old Firm who have more than their fair share of sunlight.

Even if you have ties in Glasgow, there's more to that city than Gers and 'Tic.

Support the underdog :D

16. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Saltire2k...

Welcome to BigSoccer! Great to have another Scotsman here. My wife and I visited Edinburgh on our honeymoon (very beautiful city) and the Scots were sooooo nice. My wife and I agree that Scotland is the most beautiful place we have ever seen.

You are right that having friends in another country connects you closer with a team, because you can visit them and go cheer your side on. Good pick on the Fire! We have the most vocal and loyal fans in the MLS, in my humble opinion.

17. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Fish (ex-Marillion) is a Hibs fan. I remember back in the mid-80s when they were mega, and he'd appear in magazines wearing the green and white. He's about the only "celebrity" I can think of who supports them.

Arseweb.com has a great page of celebrity Gooners. Given their geography, it is of course easier for Arsenal to have such a following. For years I've heard Chelsea mentioned with the adjective "fashionable" (didn't know being a skinhead was chic!). Are there any celebrity supporters of SPL sides?

18. Saltire2k

Saltire2k New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Edinburgh
    Re: Saltire2k...

Thanks for the welcome, Catfish :)
    I feel most lucky to be living in Edinburgh, I must admit. My friend came over in May and she fell in love with the place.

Good to know I chose well with the Fire - I hope to be able to see them play some day ;)

19. Saltire2k

Saltire2k New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Edinburgh
    There are a few celebrities who are Hibs fans but are mostly famous in Scotland. One notable actor is Dougray Scott who appeared in Mission Impossible II and Deep Impact to name but two movies. Then there's Bernard Gallacher and Sandy Lyle, the golfers. Ian Rankine (author), The Proclaimers (singing twins) and Irvine Welsh (author of Trainspotting) among others.

20. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
  21. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Finally got the video to work!!!

VERY cool. Couldn't hear the words much, but seeing a sea of green and white scarves was very sweet.

22. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I want to see an Ibrox version !!!! :)

23. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Few points.

A: Rangers sing either God Save the Queen or Britannia.

B. Don't think they do the thing with holding up their scarves?

In fact Celtic supporters are the only ones I have seen hold up the scarves.

24. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Re: Few points.

I have seen LOTS of pictures of supporters of other teams with the whole scarf thing.

Someone please post some Rangers / Ibrox supporters videos?