Which SPL club should I support and WHY???

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Catfish, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Since 2 yrs ago, becoming addicted to football starting with the English Premiership, now MLS. I need more football. I want to follow every major league. Please tell me which club to support and more importantly why??? It doesn't have to be all Rangers and Celtic, but they better be in the SPL.

Thanks for your thoughts and time.

2. magggggggggiebhoy

magggggggggiebhoy New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    i recommend supporting celtic because

1. parkhead has one of the best atmospheres in the world and when they sing You'll never walk alone nothin can beat it in world football

2. they are mentioned in a rod stewart song :)

3. they have a nice strip which is pretty unique unlike most other teams with plain boring strips

4. they have henrik/ghod

5. jinky played for them....if you have never seen this guy play then you have to find a video of him somewhere.... you will laugh at how good he was

6. if you do decide to support a scottish team and it aint celtic or rangers u are hardly ever gonna get to watch them

but if u do decide to support another team then choose aberdeen......the only other scottish side with a good support and the potential to be much bigger

3. just Packrat

just Packrat New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Lawrence
    Celtic's supporters were just awarded an award for having the best fans in the world by UEFA.

4. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Seems to me....

That supporting Celtic is the closest thing to an Irish club. I'm part Irish and love the color green. And seeing that Ireland doesn't have a wealthy league, ie. a club in the Champions League and you never hear about any clubs in Ireland...except the Irish National side.

I love Celtic's crest, kits, fans, stadium, and rich football tradition.

What is the name of the stadium where Celtic play? What is the capacity of their stadium? FSW is not broadcasting the SPL this season, at least not now, maybe during the 2nd 1/2 of the season, where the matches really heat up...i did my homework...lol.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts.

5. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    UEFA make many bad decisions. I'm not saying Celtic don't have any decent fans cause i have many friends who are Celtic fans and they are good guys. Unfortunately the majority are glory hunters and/or hooligans. But in fairness to them they travel well abroad and don't create trouble there. The same can't be said for there behavior at home though.

Still i'd still support them before the union jack flying, orange b******* Rangers.....

I'd suggests a team like Aberdeen or Hearts. That is if yer no a glory hunter.

6. magggggggggiebhoy

Sep 1, 2003
    hey catfish........the stadium is known as celtic park and parkhead or to the fans just "paradise"

the capacity is just over 60000.....we have 53000 season ticket holders which is one of the highest in world i think and we took about 75000 fans to the uefa cup final in seville this year ( think that was a world record :) )

and i have a video of the celtic fans singing you'll never walk alone.......i will try put it on internet for you to see urself.....once u see and hear this ur choice will be made

7. magggggggggiebhoy

Sep 1, 2003
  8. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    Having watched Celtic matches with not one but TWO NYC-based supporters' clubs, I disagree very strongly with the guy who called most Celtic supporters "glory-hunters" or "hooligans".

Celtic has fans all over the world, and the ones I've met (here in the States, Ireland, and England) are awesome, awesome people.

I'm Irish-American myself, so there was only ever one club in Scotland for me.

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Fallen...

Thanks for your thoughts. I am 1/4 Irish...names Patrick and my wife's 1/2 Irish, so I love the loyalty and passion from the Irish fans for a Scottish club.

I saw the link and am going to hookup with Chicago Celtic Supporters club.

Where did the whole Bhoys thing come from?

10. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I don't really expect you to understand when you don't live in amongst them. The truth if that probobly most violent behavior in Scotland occurs between Celtic and Rangers fans about politics, religion and history that they have no idea about!!!
    The glory-hunting thing is also true and the reason no-one can compete with the old firm. Most people support them because they are the best and they are the best cause most people support them!!! It is a damaging cycle to Scottish football.

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Rangers....... Ready !!!

12. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    No offence morton mate but bollocks, celtic in the early part of the 90's, at the old celtic park, werent fuffilling their potential, when the bunnet saved us from liquidation and built the new CP we partly fuffilled it, and during that time, the worst in celtic history, we filled it each and every second week, we would be finishing 5th and 6th and still we filled it, so when we finally get back to a position where we can compete for the league and in europe dont ever call us glory hunters, there isnt a club in the world with support like ours, who would have supported the teams,boards and managers we have had to put up with in the past. and still we havent fuffilled our full potential cos we can stick another 15,000 odd seats on that ground and still have a waiting list for season tickets!
    To say we are the cause of the violence in scottish football is ignorant beyond belief too, sounds like the opinion of someone on the outside looking in with no real understanding of the situation.

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Ibrox Stadium........ Home !!!

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i personally like rangers best in the SPL, but i also think celtic is cool (hehe i'd never make it in scotland) - it sounds like you should choose the hoops, but if not make it rangers... that's not glory hunting - i prefer to think of supporting any other SPL side (provided you aren't a local) as being a glutton for punishment - man i love an old firm derby!!!

15. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I'm not neccesarily talkin about the loyal fans who attend games, rather the thousands who attach themselves to an old firm club who live nowhere near Glasgow. To tell the truth until the age of 10 I was a Celtic fan but as my father is a Morton fan i attended more 'Ton games than Celtic and lost interest in a team i had no real connection with anyway. To say there are not thousands of glory hunters out there is crazy. You see far more Celtic strips on the street than you did 5 years ago. Maybe as much following the crowd as glory hunting but it still isn't good for Scottish football.

On the issue of violence i got beaten up by a large gang of Rangers fans when i was very young because i was wearing a Celtic strip in an area that is seen as a Rangers supported area. This has nothing to do with the clubs themselves. Its just the fact that these young 'neds' are nearly always old firm fans because they have 'no minds of there own'. As i said before though there are many Celtic fans who are decent guys but often i have to ask there reasoning in being Celtic fans.

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Rangers is the team for you and me!

17. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    I'm going to have to call bollocks on that point.

It's a common fact that during the early to mid 1990s when Rangers & Aberdeen were clearly the top 2 sides in the league that Celtic's average attendances dropped way below the level of capacity.

I just did a small check on the internet for some crowd levels, as you say that each and every week Celtic Park was full:

15/12/90 v Dunfermline: 18,875
    20/04/91 v Dunfermline: 14,268
    30/11/91 v Dunfermline: 20,452
    25/04/92 v Dunfermline: 12,649

Or how about in the 1980's when Aberdeen were the dominant side in Scotland:

"In the past 40 years the lowest League gate at Parkhead is the 4,956 who watched Celtic v Dundee on Apr 24th 1984."

"In Scotland we have to make do with seasonal totals which reveal the worst average attendances in the past 40 years to be 18,390 for Celtic in 1983-84 and 16,400 for Rangers in 1981-82."

( http://www.scottishleague.net/sfaqs.htm )

And Celtic never finished 6th during that time frame you mentioned, the lowest position was 5th in 1989/90 (where interestingly enough they were only 4 points above 9th ;) )

The poster has a point to question the unflinching loyalty of some who claim to be die-hard life-long Celtic fans...

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    This is why Rangers is the team for YOU and ME !

19. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

Mate the numbers lie, fact is in my post I said celtic at the old cp werent fufilling their potential, which is true as we built a ground twice as big and we still have a three year waiting list for a season ticket.
    Secondly, during the period you mention, the early to mid 90's the club went though various supporter boycotts and such like, the numbers dont tell you that though unless you know the reason behind such low attendances, the 5000-8000 were the minority who would not boycott the matches.
    From the time the new Celtic park was completed the average attendance is something like 52,000 a season probably more actually, and in that time (96-00) we won 1 title and 1 league cup.
    You can question the loyalty of celtic supporters all you want, but its misplaced to say the least.

20. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Why were the supporters boycottin gthe team?

That Celtic - Ajax video clip was effen awesome though :) got any more?

21. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Boycotting the team to hurt the board in the pocket.

22. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What about Hibernian?

I know their strips look like a cross between Arsenal and Liverpool, but Edinburgh is a great city. Edinburgh Castle was AMAZING! I'm finishing my degree to teacher History. Hibernian is also a very old club. How big is their stadium?

My wife and I visited Edinburgh for our honeymoon. We stayed in Dalhousey (sp) Castle just outside the city. The Scottish were sooooo nice. We can't wait to go back and visit. Scotland is the most beautiful place we have ever seen.

Really wish I could make a few Scottish friends via BS, so next time we visit we will have friends to see and meet.

23. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Re: What about Hibernian?

16,000 seater

24. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Hibs beat Montrose in the League cup 9-0 on Tuesday night!