Which section for supporters clubs?

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by nobius, Feb 13, 2006.

1. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the things brought up at the last meeting was where exactly the supporters section will be at Robertson Stadium. AEG pretty much said for us to pick, so I thought I'd get the dialogue started. Most comments seem to be related to be either 112 right behind goal to maybe 212 and/or 213 for more cost-conscious supporters (like me).

Take a look at the chart below, vote, and discuss. I made the poll so you can pick more than one area/type that you would sit in, and voter's choices are visible.

[​IMG]

2. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    I was told North End...then it becomes our Kop and sort of a General Admission thing once we get established.

3. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Looking at this picture it seems that the 100 section is concrete and the 200 are metal bleachers. Can anybody confirm that because jumping on metal bleachers would make a lot more noise than concrete.

Also, making it GA may be easier in the bleachers than in the section with seats.

4. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    These are definitely questions for CeltTexan. Does anyone have another way to contact him?

5. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have questions about the seating or layout at Robertson, you may want to see if this thread helps:

Questions about Robertson?

UHLawdog is a season-ticket holder for UH football and knows the stadium very well. fireman451 and others who attended (or are attending) UH have also been great about answering questions. They can probably answer most questions about how Robertson is set up.

6. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say we ask for 112, 212, 213 (which I think is about 500 seats!), and that we ask for tentative reservation of 111 and 113 to allow for growth as our group and season tix sales go. I'd love to say we'd fill all 5 sections on day 1 - but we do have to be somewhat realistic.

I'd love to see every stadium map that the ticket agents have with a huge mark around the north end that says "Reserved for 1836 Supporters" - but with a special note that 112, 212, 213 may not be suitable for children :)

Just know whatever happens, we'll have a much better feel for our needs when we move out of Robertson in 3 years!

7. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I think is the best option. Poor people like me can get the $300 tickets in 212 while net shakers like yanks02 can be in the 112 yet we can all be making noise together.

8. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, if we only sit in the 200s, then the folks who buy the seats in the 100s in front of us may not appreciate all the constructive criticism and other thoughts that they hear us offer the officials and visiting teams.

9. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    In my opinion if you sit in the Kop end, you go in at your own risk and you better be ready for language. Its a grown up get together.

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Very good points, we won't be able to fill them right now but hopefully we can by the end of the season so we'll need room to grow into.

11. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait wait huh? I'm a poor college student who's still paying back loans. If there's anyone that is poor, it's me.

I really hope that like James said, we can get season tickets for a cheaper price. I don't want some random people sitting below us in 112 and then having our supporters section up in the top section, but it's too expensive to buy for the 112 section. They really need to think about this.

I also don't like the way that is set up. We aren't all going to be one section that way. There's a good deal of space between the top level. They just seems so disconnected from each other.

12. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here's a question. How are we going to determine how many people are going to want to sit in the supporter's section on April 2nd? Let's face it, the FO is only going to give as much room as our enrollment forces and there's a difference between people who are in the supporter's group and people who sit in the supporter's section. I mean obviously you have to be in the supporter's group to sit in the supporter's section but not all members will sit with the group (take Numero Dos for example)

I guess what I'm saying is that we need to start developing a mechanism for determining who what to sit with us. Presumably the easiest thing to do would be for the FO to explicitly ask season ticket depositers as they call them "Are you planning on sitting in the supporter's section?" but somehow, I don't think they will do that and people may not think to bring it up when they get the phone call.

So, how can we start to get an idea of just how many people are going to want to sit with us badasses?

13. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is tricky. Assume we pick a section, and the FO grants it, but after 2-3 games, we don't like it at all. Can we move esily enough (down to up or up to down), or do we just have to live with it for the rest of the season?

I picked the upper two sections. I'm cheap, and that is where I could afford to sit with multiple family members/friends. Down below, it'd more than likely be just me going solo at the games. Upper deck - that's my vote. Everyone vote, and then let's see.

If what James said can come to pass (he used the word "if" quite a bit, there the other night ;) ), then yeah, discount prices would allow me to upgrade to the net shaking section.

Dre, to answer your question, I think that time will be the only way to getting us a bigger (the whole end?) section. Other people sitting in their regular seats at the games will have to see our passion and ask to sit in our section. Then and only then will the FO will cough up more seats for us.

14. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely agree with that but what I guess I'm asking is how many do we need to try and get it initially? It would be a damn shame if we had one section but ended up having enough people to fill two...or even one and a half.. Maybe sections are bigger than I think and I'm worrying too much about this.

15. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I believe sections in the 100's are around 115-130 people and in the 200's a few more than that, maybe around 150-160. I don't think they'll have a problem with giving us room, the stadium holds 32K and MLS averages under 15K so half the stadium will probably be empty.

16. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

There's no way that the North stands will be even remotely close to filled for most games. The FO should cut supporters groups a special deal for several sections in the North stands - preferably in the 100s level. They're just not going to sell most of those seats as season tickets anyway.

Cutting supporters groups a special deal for the 100s level seats behind the North goal is probably one of the most useful things - perhaps the most useful thing - that the FO can do for supporters.

If they're unwilling to cut a special deal - for seats that aren't in high demand anyway - for their most committed supporters to create an environment that will sell more seats in the rest of the stadium, then they're just engaging in warm fuzzy rhetoric.

17. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they'll give us the 112 for the same price as 212, I'm all over it. I wish the sales guy wouldn't have hemmed and hawwed so much when we asked him for more specifics on what they could do for us.

18. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought he was saying there's a good chance we might be able to get the tickets for our section for the next price down....that's the way I understood it at least.

That would be great.

19. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we get all 3 sections, based on its shape, we could call the area the Raven's Foot (as in Crow's Foot, but SH was the Raven). I still like calling the area the Raven's Nest though.

20. houston'06

houston'06 Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't hear a word he said, being on the other end of the room. I agree, if he can go down one level on BOTH sections, that would be best.

We should try to enlist on-campus UH students as well. Any way we can cut costs for them (and us), the better.

21. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was standing right next to James during his little talk, and he was completely non-committal re specifics of any price break. I never heard him say anything about bumping ticket prices down an entire level.

Let's look at what the prices are for the levels in question-

112 - VIP Endline - $30 single game, $23 group rate, $440 season ticket/$22 per game

212 - Endline - $20 single game, $16 group, $300 season ticket/$15 per game

Only tickets cheaper than 212 are GA in the corners - $15 single game, $12 group, $220 season/$11 per game

A price break for 112 would perhaps be somewhere between $22 and $15 per game, let's say $18 = $360 season tickets. Similarly, a break on 212 might only be $2/game, $260 instead of $300. Then comes the question, what number of commitments would the FO require before April 2? 50? 100? I know some people have posted about filling up the North end, but I wonder if we'll be doing well to have 50 people committing to put their money up before the season begins. And I was thinking this before the events of the past few days, and how that might have turned some people against the FO...

Based on the pic of the North end posted above, I also wonder if 112 isn't a bit low. I'm not a fan of trying to see the other end of the field through the goal netting. At places like Reliant or HDC, the front row is at the top of a wall, it looks like 112 is almost at field level.

After saying all this, my own personal choice, at least this first season, is that all I may be able to afford is GA over in 208. I'll have to look at the pics in the "questions about Robertson" thread to see how close to the field that section is, at least could heckle opponents taking corners...