Which player will stand out for Ecuador in the Copa America?

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by Manolo, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Valencia is expected to be "star" of the team, but we have plenty of players that are looking to show that they are ready to carry the team on their shoulders (hopefully). Who is going to be the Ecua player that stands out and gets noticed in this Copa America? I'm mostly including guys that haven't already proven themselves, not guys like Valencia, Mendez or W. Ayovi that established themselves a long time ago.

2. cristian1mv

cristian1mv Member

Jul 6, 2005
    I have a good feeling about Caicedo this of course is pending him joining the team

3. Jefe Esco

Jefe Esco Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    micahel arroyo

4. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'm going for Fricson Erazo. I would have chosen Michael Arroyo, but I think we know what he's capable of doing and it wouldn't come off as a surprise if he has a good Copa America. But the surprise I think will be Fricson due to how well he's playing and adapting to the NT in such a short time and with such little international experience. He wins my vote and I think he'll consolidate himself if Rueda gives him the starting spot and he won't fail.

5. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I picked Michael Arroyo. I agree he is more known than some of the others, but I think he is seriously and totally underrated. He is completely unrecognized outside of Ecuador, and even in Mexico, he doesn't make the headlines very much because San Luis is not a "big" team. I think Copa America will put him on the map, and maybe (hopefully), he might get noticed by some bigger clubs in Europe.

I remember the same thing happening to Mendez when he came out, he looked like the real deal and had some great games with the NT, but because Ecuador at that time did not have many players in Europe, he ended up going to Mexico and playing on some crappy teams and ended up back in Ecuador. Then after the 2006 WC, finally his quality was noticed by PSV and next thing you know, he's playing in the Champions League and shortlisted for the Ballon D'Or. But by that time he was in his late 20's - imagine if he had gone to Europe in his early 20's and had time to adapt...he would have ended up on a really big team.

I see Arroyo being the next Valencia or Mendez, I really do. How many of our players have that type of ability to go past 2 or 3 guys like he does? How many have a cannon shot like him? The guy can even do great free kicks. He's the type of guy that can make the difference in a match, and we honestly don't have too many of those guys right now.

6. lav92

lav92 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I voted for Arroyo because to people from other countries he will be a surprise. Erazo is the player who I think will stand out for us who follow the NT. He is young and in the very few games he's played he's impressed. I would like to see Erazo and Aruajo in the center this Copa America.

7. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'm also going for Arroyo. The guy has played well with the NT on almost every games hes played. He kinda relegates Montero to a bench role really when you think about it.