Which player that has not been called up by Gregg will make the WC roster?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 30, 2022.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's always one of these guys that makes it that hasn't been part of qualifying at all. Doesn't matter the country, but it generally seems to be younger players (but not always).

Im thinking Vasquez is most likely that bet if he keeps up his scoring streak. Tolkin at left back could be interesting too. Could just as easily be Slonina though if one of Steffen, Horvath, or Turner is out.

I want it to be Pomykal. Sooooo bad want it to be Pomykal. It probably will not, though.

Im not sure if Djordje qualifies given hes recently been brought in, but hes a comeback story more than a "out of nowhere" guy.

Chesco United, Hubcity11 and gogorath repped this.
  2. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Due to our issues at forward it will probably Brandon Vasquez. I watch the Fire every game and Slonina is nowhere near good enough to be a starter on the USMNT. He is decent shot stopper but flaps at crosses and his distribution at times is suspect. He has probably cost the Fire at least 5 or 6 points this season.

3. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    none.

nobody repped this.
  4. maroonlaw

maroonlaw Member

Mar 26, 2015
    It might be less likely this time than past cycles due to the limited time in camp before the opening match.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Tolkin and Vazquez are the top candidates.

Pl@ymaker and Chesco United repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Barring an injury crisis...................none. Zero.

I mean, how is Tolkin going to make the roster? Scally, who's played a full season in the Bundesliga at RB/LB...............may not make the roster. An uncapped 5'7" fullback from MLS is going to jump over Scally for fullback depth? Right at the last minute? Really? We're not bereft of fullbacks.

You can make a similar analysis for every guy mentioned above.
    I mean, Pefok just moved to the team that finished 5th in the Bundesliga last season. He might not make it. I can't make a case for Vasquez over Pefok. Or Wright. Maybe Dike, but I'm a big fan of a healthy Dike. And I think Pepi and Ferreira have more secure places than others do.

Yes, guys have made a late charge. BUt its rare in the US program that its this late. People use examples like Herc Gomez and Edson Buddle. Those guys weren't uncapped when selected. Herc Gomez had been part of the program. He was on a Copa America roster, for instance.

nobody, russ and Marko72 repped this.
  7. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Robby Findley made a WC roster back 2010 I believe and didn't have many caps. He was basically a one dimensional speed merchant. Pablo Mastroeni had few caps and made the 2002 roster and played a HUGE part in that campaign as a stay at home Dmid in place of an injured Chris Armas.

Pl@ymaker, OWN(yewu)ED and Chesco United repped this.
  8. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Our depth has grown tremendously over the last 20 years so to break in you have to be really really good. 25 years ago we had maybe 25-30 guys, now we have well over 50. Hell, we had 2 completely different rosters last summer. That never would have been possible 20 years ago. And it's not like there's some young phenom out there that hasn't been called in. The team is now the youngest it's ever been which kind of negates what we are looking for. All of those guys have been called in on a regular basis.

dams, russ and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbie was literally the guy I was thinking of when I made this thread. The possibility that this is guy 23/26. It wouldn’t shock me if there was one. Might be unfair to others in the pool but that’s the way it goes sometimes. Theo Walcott and oxade chamberlain are guys I believe who did it for England too, no previous calls whatsoever then included in the World Cup. Happens even in larger programs

shooter6065 repped this.
  10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Pomykal count? He's been called up and capped by Berhalter, albeit a couple of years ago.

Vazquez seems by far the likeliest candidate.

I guess maybe Tolkin but who knows what Berhalter will do at the left back position in the September camp.

The thing is even most of the fringe guys have been in at least one camp under Berhalter.

11. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wasn't Walcott 16 years old when he got that call-up?

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ..................but they all had caps.

Is it more likely that a guy such as Mihailovic goes, or one of these uncapped attackers than folks are mentioning? Mihailovic might be the frontrunner for MLS MVP. Pomykal, mentioned above, has been in camps and is capped.

Berhalter has capped a ton of these fringe players. There are not many guys to mention here.

Sure, we can all list our 5 favorite uncapped players. But the chances are low that they'll make the WC roster.

The September camp is more like a send-off series than a camp to look at new players.

13. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    #13 Mahtzo1, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    We have much more established depth now than we did at any point in the past. That alone will make it extremely unlikely that any uncapped player will make the team. When Findley and Mastroeni made the team, it was due to injury combined with a lack of depth. We now have more depth players at virtually every position. The other factor that makes it more difficult, at this point, to integrate another player is the lack of an extended camp before the wc. The only chance I can see is if Berhalter is feeling extremely desperate at forward and/or feels like the larger 26 man roster gives him the option of gambling on a player.

russ repped this.
  14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah it was pretty controversial too in the English press, but not a total WOW callup either apparently.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would absolutely count Pomykal, yes, he has practically been not involved at all. I dont think it would be sincere to say that he has. If he was somehow included, I think he fits firmly into this category IMO

16. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I’d take Pomykal, or another dynamic, creative attacking midfielder.

17. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Alan Sonora is the obvious answer.

18. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    the simple answer is nobody

the only real shot would be if johnson or jesus get hurt they will need an mls replacement and that could be a place for it to happen.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Except if the topic is "which player not called up by Berhalter will be on the roster".................the answer can't be Pomykal. By definition.

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Scally vs Tolkin? I saw Scally play in the B1. After a great start, he really struggled. Struggling in the B1 doesn't make him better than Tolkin. It also doesn't make him worse. But we've already seen Scally with the National Team.

Berhalter has clearly not been enamored with Pefok. Moving to Ligue 1 doesn't change anything.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Alex Mendez, if he hadn't already been called. A strong start in a good league could see him enter the frame.

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  22. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    lol some day its just time to move on from those 3four3 boys

frankburgers repped this.
  23. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I have watched Tolkien twice, but only on TV. I am not sure what makes him better than any of several other FBs we have. The hair is distinctive though.

24. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paxten Aaronson

25. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005