Which *Olf*?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Captain10, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two *Olf*s in the pool for the same spot -- Wolff and Rolfe.

Wolff's performance over the last year or so has been very underwhelming to me. He never quite gets it done and seems like the Maxwell Smart of the team ... always "Missing it by THAT much".

On the other hand, Rolfe has showed well and is stepping it up in his club play. He's starting to turn it on and has shown much improvement and composure.

I have read some of Wolff's earlier interviews and he says Arena knows what he brings to the table. I disagree. I think Arena knows what Josh USED TO bring to the table ... but hasn't done so in a very long time.

IMO Wolff is on his way down ... and Rolfe is on his way up. I'd give the nod to Rolfe ...

If it came down to Rolfe or Wolff for a roster spot on the World Cup team, which would you select?

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    On the XM thread, it was mentioned that Bruce loved the W-olff. Vs. Jamaica.

In other words, Josh is going to Vaterland.

3. Bad Soccer

Bad Soccer New Member

Jan 12, 2006
  4. tbgh

tbgh New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    If I were picking now I'd have to go with Wolff, but I would have given Rolfe a start against Jamaica or Germany and if he did well there, I'd probably give him the nod.

5. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    I don't think it will come down to one or the other, or it shouldn't. Our forwards are very thin.

I think both should go.

6. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think Wolff since he's been there, while Rolfe goes only if there's an opening (due to pre-WC injuries?). Potential is no guarantee of WC success so BA holds off on him. However, at best Wolff comes on as a sub.

7. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure ... potential should weigh very little, if any. It should be the same for history.

Right now, Rolfe is in better form and producing more than Wolff ... and not by a little ... by a LOT!