Which of these Newbies will pull a surprise in Germany?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Eowin, Dec 14, 2005.

1. n.waleed

n.waleed New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Saudi Arabia
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ukraine:Ukraine wont be a surprise as I consider it a big team already. Ukraine will top its group and have good chance to qualify to the QF.

Trinida & Tobago: No way. They hardly beat Bahrain from Asia to qualify to the WC. They tied 1-1 in T&T and hardly won 1-0 in Bahrain. Bahrain is a weak Asian side that never made it to semi-final in Asian cup or never won any regional title or even really competed in any. It is a smalllllll island with half million ppl half of them are foreigners. Literally, you are talking about a team made out of few districts and nighbourhoods. If they made it to the wc it would be one of smallest countries ever to qualify. In their Asian group, they lost 4 of 6 games. T&T couldnt beat them in home game!!!!! I think T&T can be the weakest team of 06 wc.

Togo & Angola: mmmm no big expectations. Since I know African soccer in the last two decades I never seen any good game for them. In reality I almost never seen them. They never did anything big in the African cups.

Ghana: this team has a big chance to make surprises. Ghana was one of the teams that I always wished them to qualify. They always played beautiful soccer especially during Apedi Pele times. Anyone how they beat Italy in a wonderful game 3-2 in 1996 Olympics? They had a player Sabah who scored the best goal in that Olympic against Palijoka. They always have great youth teams.

Cote d'Ivoire: This is the team. They always been one of the tough teams in African soccer. I saw their friendly against italy and i was so impressed. They reminded me of Nigeria 1994. Very skillful players, very organized team, very well distributed in the field. I think they will be the best african side since 1994. Their bad luck put them in the strongest group.

Serbia & Montenegro: I heard they are good! Well, they have great coach. All what you need with that coach is good tactical players (which i believe serbia has) and you will make it. Again like Cote d'Ivoire, their luck put them in the death group. However, we will watch great games in this group.

2. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    Elfenbeinküste

3. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    its safe to say ukraine scares the crapola of other teams

4. n.waleed

n.waleed New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Saudi Arabia
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    and .. if we speak about the other teams outside the list that was mentioned here .. i would give my voice to Iran

they have good side, can play good physical game and at the same time they have pretty good skills .. now they have few players who play in europe .. a mixture between experienced players who are looking to end their career with good memories and some young players who are looking for winning good contracts in europe ..

and at the other hand, their group is not that difficult .. angola is not the team to fear .. portugal isnt mission impossible .. however, i think mexico will be the tough side for them .. i rate them #3 in its group, however, they have VERY good chance in surprising others

5. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

incorrect, didn't play against denmark either

6. LA CURVA SUD ROMA

LA CURVA SUD ROMA BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 24, 2005
    Montreal
    s&m is not a newbie team! c'mon!! :mad:

7. toneroll

toneroll New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    mancunian in FL
    both ties??

they still had a fairly easy group..

8. fh 1

fh 1 New Member

Oct 14, 2001
    Croatia
    Either Ukraine or Ghana. The others have little chances to get out of their group, not because they were bad, but the contenders are too strong, especially concerning above teams from group C.

And yes, S&M is a "Newbie" not just because they take part at a WC final under this name first time but also because the team 1998 called "Yugoslavia" consisted of serbian and montenegrian players of REAL former Yugoslavia (that before 1990, when the counry dissolved into several pieces).
    So this country now with new name Serbia&Montenegro is the first REAL serbian and montenegrian team (yes, also montenegrian because several players and niot the worst ones are from Montenegro, which seems BTW, also to seperate from Serbia next year, like Kosovo). So even this team now is not the true serbian team, probably we'll see such a team only at next WC (if they qualify).

9. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Interesting. So what does the current team constist of?

10. fh 1

fh 1 New Member

Oct 14, 2001
    Croatia
    This team now consist of only serbian and montenegrian players who never played in former Yugoslavia, at least not at senior level, as they were then too young. So it is a REAL S&M team, which has nothing or little in common with former Yugoslavia, even the style is totally different (now they play rather defensive, while former Yugoslavia was known for offensive games which much creativity, which the serbian team now doesn't have a lot). That's the reason that I would rate the word "Newbie" in this case as in order with facts: There is not just a cosmetic difference in name but factual between former Yugoslavian team (before 1990), "fake" Yugoslavian team (1998) and the S&M team now. All were very different in mentality and style.

11. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Oh OK. I thought you meant they weren't "from" the former Yugoslavia. Still, I have to disagree with you. "Fake" team? So the name hadn't been changed yet. It's still the same geo-political unit, IMHO. The several reasons have been discussed here, but the main thing, as it was mentioned above, is that the only real change is the name. Now, I do think that Yugoslavia-post-1990 WC statistics should be separated from the former Yugoslavia (most of XX century); but I believe the record of the squads of 1998 and 2006 should be compiled together as Serbia & Montenegro* (*Participated in 1998 as 'Yugoslavia'). That's it.

Regardless of that, official records are decided by FIFA, and they have the final word on what's "official", for the history of the WC as they regulate the competition.

12. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Can't there be a thread here without discussing if serbia is a newbie? There was even a thread open specially for that.

13. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    so far ukraine leading the pack

14. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    There's always an Eastern European team with a big time scorer that surprises.
    Bulgaria - Stoichkov
    Croatia - Suker
    Turkey - Expected to be Hakan Sukur. It was Sas/Mansiz.

This points to Ukraine with Shevshenko. They are in the weakest group, and the teams they could potentially play in the next round are weak. They look like such a likey candidate to carry on the trend that perhaps the trend will end.

15. 2-8-0

2-8-0 Red Card

Aug 4, 2005
    I would cast my vote on Cote D'ivoire. They have really good attacking players like the Kalou brothers, Didier Drogba and in Kolo Toure they have a tenacious tackler with pace to burn marshalling the defence. It's hard to go against a side with such athleticism and technical ability.

16. spencercs

spencercs New Member

Dec 1, 2005
    London
    ivory coast will be very athletic, fit and strong, a typical african side, howver they also have a handful of quality players, see drogba, zokora, kalou, kolo and yaya toure.

17. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Great point. I agree they should be able to go far into this tournament with Sheva spearheading the attack.

18. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    I have to go with Ukraine mainly due to the draw. If they don't make it to the round of 16 it will be a upset; For all the others, just advancing will be a big success.

19. tamachan

tamachan New Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Australia
    Ukraine have the easiest draw similar to Turkeys last time. If they dont make the quarters it would be a surprise to me. T & T are garbage and will get a good spanking by all 3 teams in their group. Ghana will do well as i fear for Italys chances this cup if they fire they could top the group as they are arguably the best african side at the moment.

20. ilbaasha

ilbaasha New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Kuwait City
    I stongly agree, so no surprise if they made it through... real surprise team is going to be Togo me thinks!

21. perucho79

perucho79 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Monumental
    cote d'ivoire

22. CariocaEWR

CariocaEWR New Member

Nov 9, 2005
    EWR
    GHANA
    kum apem a apem beba

[​IMG]

23. SiempreFutbol

SiempreFutbol New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Granite Falls
    Out of those teams, I'd say Ukraine would be the most likely to do well in the tournament.

24. Pumas90

Pumas90 Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i also agree

25. MohawkD24

MohawkD24 New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Niskayuna, NY
    Must be Ukraine or Ivory Coast. Ukraine with golden boot contender Shevchenko and Cote D'ivoire with Didier Drogba who is just plain terrifying, I sure wouldnt step on a pitch with that man.