Which of the 2010 World Cup quarter-finals do you expect to produce the most exciting game?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by hbk4894, Jun 30, 2010.

?

Which of the 2010 World Cup quarter-finals do you expect to produce the most exciting game?

Poll closed Jul 5, 2010.
  1. Brazil v Holland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Argentina v Germany

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Spain v Paraguay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Uruguay v Ghana

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hbk4894

hbk4894 Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    i think Argentina v Germany

2. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    I think both Netherlands/Brazil and Argentina/Germany could be incredibly epic and electric matches-- but they could also be the most boring, tentative matches too. It will be one or the other. Hopefully they don't both end up tenative, but it's definitely a possibility.

3. Mihilt

Mihilt New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Club:
    Wisla Kraków SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Argentina - Germany. Both teams have a lot of offensive potential and Argentina tactics and defense are too poor to make it a bunker match.

4. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I rate the games from exciting to predictable this way.

1. Germany vs Argentina
    2. Brazil vs Netherlands
    3. Uruguay vs Ghana
    4. Spain vs Paraguay

5. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    I don't think any of the games are predictable, I certainly don't think we will steamroll Paraguay given our current performances.

My vote goes to Germany v Argentina, but I hope Argentina win.

6. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Argentina - Germany since both those teams attempt to play offensive football.

Netherlands - Brazil is way more likely to be boring since it's 2 defensive teams.

7. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Both teams tend to play with at least 6 men behind the ball when having posession, but they're not truly defensive teams. They'll always look for a goal, always. Whether on a counter, with quick movement and passing or plain individual talent. They rely on their skill, speed and vision when the situation calls for it. A calculated game where you don't waste too much energy by just attacking ( as they both used to do ). The approach of both teams is to elminate risks as much as possible starting on midfield and wait for a mistake.

Both teams can play a posession game, a counter style game, and defend when it's needed. They're both all round teams.

But yeah, I don't think it's going to be truly exciting.

My vote goes to ARG - GER

8. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I don't mean predictable in who is going to win but how the games will be played.

9. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    Netherlands-Brazil could be a chess match, two teams that are cautious and wait for their opponents to make a mistake but one goal in the first half could shift the pace of the game in a second. For some reason, Paraguay's games always turn out to be dull, then add the Spanish who are going to pass around and around, not looking forward to that match up. Germany-Argentina looks the most promising hopefully it won't be ruined by a bad ref. I've a feeling Uruguay-Ghana could be fun. But Ghana will be missing key players. I'm voting GER-ARG.

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I think Germany-Argentina will be the most exciting, but I am hoping Ghana will make the match with Uruguay worth watching as well. I am not expecting much from the Brazil-Holland game, certainly nothing like what those two names would imply: Holland have been exceptionally boring and will probably be even more so against Brazil, while Dunga's team is not the kind that can make a game terribly exciting on its own. Spain-Paraguay to me will probably be the least entertaining match among the 4, even if the quality Spain enjoys will make the game somewhat tolerable nonetheless.

Of course, I am all too willing to be pleasantly surprised and see all 4 of these games turn into exciting matches. But right now I will be content if Germany-Argentina at least lives up to its billing.

1 person likes this.
  11. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Definitely Argentina vs Germany.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Some great matchups. I think this is where the World Cup will get good. The first round was mediocre, the second round was a bit better, now hopefully it will take off.

No love for Spain vs Paraguay? It should be very interesting to see if Spain's brilliant short passing game can effectively penetrate Paraguay's solid defensive setup.

But I think the best game will be Argentina vs Germany.

13. Et3rnal L1ght

Et3rnal L1ght New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Vietnam
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Vietnam
    I think it'll be Argentina vs Germany. Brazil vs Holland might be interesting too but since both team are playing more defensively nowadays, it won't be as exciting.

14. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This.

15. RybbRasta

RybbRasta Red Card

Jun 23, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In 1/8 final only interesting game were with 'small teams' - Ghana vs USA and Korea vs Uruguay. I have feeling that Ghana - Uruguay will be great, but also Germany - Argentina. I think Holland - Brasil will be very boresome.

16. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    We'll be lucky to see a single goal in Spain-Paraguay, probably off a PK

17. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Uruguay v Ghana was amazing...will never forget that match...it's one of those matches where you wish both sides had gone through...

18. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Fantastic match. Even, end-to-end, I never knew who would win. Then, a conclusion dramatic enough for a Hollywood movie.

19. lunarv

lunarv New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    This game has reinforced my belief that futbol is the best game on this planet

20. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Imagine having your country involved. Almost had a heart attack

21. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Yes...I said that to my dad...I would not want to be from Uruguay or Ghana and be watching that match...I was so nervous...and I was a neutral! I would probably have a heart...

22. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    I only saw the second half, but what i saw was far from boring. Real tough on Paraguay though. If they had scored on that PK, who knows....

23. Et3rnal L1ght

Et3rnal L1ght New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Vietnam
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Vietnam
    So it turned out that Brazil vs Netherlands was the most exciting. Argentina vs Germany was exciting only to German fans, and probably Maradona haters (which I am :D).

24. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I disagree....the Uruguay v Ghana was simply nerve wracking...even as a neutral I was suffering...

The Brazil v Netherlands was boring in the second half cause Brazil just folded.

25. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Uruguay v Ghana was by far the most exciting match, not only among the quarterfinal games, but in the entire tournament. It was well played by both sides, with end to end action, and a dramatic ending that must have seemed almost miraculous for those rooting for Uruguay and certainly tragic for Ghana fans. I will remember that match for some time.

Brazil v. Holland was quite forgettable. The quality of play in the 2nd half was less than average, with constant fouling and complaining comprising the bulk of the action on the pitch. Even in the first half, it was only a few nice moves by Brazil that made the game at times appear interesting. What I will remember from the game, in fact, is how this Brazil showed it lacked character.