Which non-UEFA-CONMEBOL team has a shot at glory in '06?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by a_guy, Jul 8, 2005.

1. a_guy

a_guy New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Texas
    Simple question. Pick who will win the WC in '06 without picking a UEFA or CONMEBOL team. Also, please don't turn this into a USA/MEXICO hate-fest.

2. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    South Korea

3. Nittany Meteo

Nittany Meteo Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Burlington, NJ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, I think the answer is no one. The best bet is probably Mexico.

They exhibited stubborn defending and clinical finishing at last month's Confederations Cup, and that experience should breed confidence playing in Germany next May / June. Defending set pieces will likely be their downfall in an elimination match.

4. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    So true about the set pieces with Mexico, lack of height kills them. EG Ballack's free kick cleared the wall by 1 inch. Just 2 inches taller and Mexico would have tied that game.

5. Borruma

Borruma Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Dublin
    No-one. Mexico is the best bet, but they're nowhere near the quality needed to win a WC, Tbh with things going like they are in Africa I'd be surprised if there is more than one non-Uefa\BrazilArgentina team in the last eight, perhaps there will be none at all...

6. dawgtide

dawgtide Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga.
    We will see for sure. Let's just line them up and play the games. This is the reason I haven't gotten into the seeding debates. Everyone has to play tough teams. As for who will win outside of those two confederations, I agree probably none. The one thing I hope to see is an african team in the german bracket again. Boy that game turned out to be a slugfest last time. I don't see how Germany managed their next game after that one and all the cards.

7. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Some teams could do good, but win? None, absolutely.

8. auf Amerika

auf Amerika Member

Jul 11, 2004
    I'd say one of the African teams, Mexico, and the USA. Probably Cote d'Ivoire would be the African team.

9. ExpatSwede

ExpatSwede Member

IF Elfsborg
    Sweden
    Jun 6, 2005
    California
    Mexico, Iran, Japan. Those would be the ones most likely of reaching the semi's...

10. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    South Korea, Japan, USA

11. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Korea aren't the team that they were at WC02 and won't have the benefit of home field advantage.

My pick is Japan.

12. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    no one at the moment has a realistic shot at the world cup

13. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    None of them really have a shot but the ones with the best chance to do well are Mexico, USA and a couple of the African nations especially Ivory Coast.

14. flyingfullback

flyingfullback New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    NYC
    its too tough to tell at the moment

15. astar24

astar24 New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Honestly I disagree with many who have replied to this topic I believe there are many teams that have the quality to win the world cup. First off, to those that say that no teams outside of UEFA and CONMEBOL can win it I ask -
    What does it take to win the world cup?

I think there are quite a few African teams who if got there act together could do damage in germany06, just because the countries that traditionally go to the world cup are not at the top of their qualifying groups does not mean that the level of football is weaker or that there are no teams good enough to compete for the world cup.

The game is football and anyone can win on any given day it depends on how you perform when the whistle blows.

Don't underestimate the strength of any country that qualifies.

16. Borruma

Borruma Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Dublin
    To Answer your question:
    A couple (at least two or three if not more) truly world class players - Outside of Uefa and AB (Argentina, Brazil) how many players are world class - Eto'o is one, but Cameroon aren't likely to qualify, Marquez is good but I wouldn't consider him world class. Any others?

No, things will revert to tradition come WC06, there will be as always one or two surprises and maybe even the now traditional "surprise semi-finalist" but only seven countries have ever won a WC, Holland and the Czechs have the best records of those who haven't. Now who are the favourites again?

17. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Outside of the top handful of teams, pretty much everyone else has the same chance to win in '06: slim to none. Eventually the world will be shocked and there will be a grand upset winner - Think of the Villanova team that won the NCAA basketball title in ... 84 was it? - but I don't think it'll happen this time. A European team will probably win it, like usually happens in Europe.

As for predicting who it could be? Who knows. Most likely it will be a team that plays ugly and gets a few breaks like Greece '04, or a country with a striker that goes on a rampage for a month. The most likely bets outside of Europe and SA are (in no particular order) the USA, Mexico, Japan, S. Korea, or whichever African country gets hot this year. None of those teams really inspire me with a whole lot of confidence, but I guess that's what being a Cinderella is all about.

18. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

A four-game winning streak, after a sufficient amount of success in the three group games to advance to the knockout rounds.

Anyone else who says different is lying.

19. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not to deviate from the original title, but if you think about it, some UEFA teams not in the super 9 have a shot maybe

i keep thinking about Serbia and the Ukraine as possible teams.

as for a non europe or CONMEBOL, although most of them would deny it, glory for Mexico would be reaching the finals...they have a shot at getting there. USA? not this time...

Africa- 2010 is their best shot at some glory

20. Karimi8Rulz

Karimi8Rulz New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    based on the current form of all teams, I would say, Nigeria, Iran and Mexico. it may change in a year, some teams evolve right before and during WC and make history.

would be fun to have a cinderella team, GO IRAN. that will be truly magical for the entire world how that nation has survived thru milleniums.

21. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    After the tie with Angola, Nigeria is in deep trouble. They need Angola to lose points at home to Gabon or away to Rwanda in order to have a chance. Iran has qualified, but there is a 75% chance they'll have two UEFA teams in their group and might even end up with Brazil/Argentina + 2 UEFA teams. If the two UEFA teams are above average, Iran (or any other AFC team) will be lucky to advance. Mexico is a good bet to advance (they are going to be a seed). But they just showed us that the right team can upset them.

Based on history, I'll take Mexico and one of the African qualifiers to make it to the round of 16 and no farther. If the draw is friendly to one of the CONCACAF or AFC teams they might also be able to advance, but we have to wait until Dec to talk about that.

22. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    In 2006 -
    From the other confed's their top chances

CONCACAF - Mexico
    AFC - Iran
    CAF - Ivory Coast

in 2010. I expect the new AFC member, austrailia to win
    Why? They are the only non-conmebol squad to have ALL OF THEIR A TEAM PLAYING IN EUROPE.

This is huge.

23. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

win what? maybe a WC game if they even make it?

youd think a whole team that plays in europe could hold a 2 goal lead at home with 10 minutes left...

no. Australia is no where near being a contender

24. ExpatSwede

ExpatSwede Member

IF Elfsborg
    Sweden
    Jun 6, 2005
    California
    So does Malta... :D

25. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I would say USA as i have seen them grow so much in the past years. It makes me proud as a citizen of this country to be rooting for a team which has so much potential, and has shown that they can compete and succeed in the WC level of play against spectacular teams as they did in the past WC.