Which Neville played worse: Gary or Phil.

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ferris, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Seems like a tossup to me. If they weren't conceding a goal they were costing one. Ever since the 2nd tie of the Madrid champions league game where, at the very end when Manchester was rallying, Phil let the BALL GO OUT OF BOUND FOR NO GOOD REASON, and allowed the throw in to Madrid I've had it in for these two (Gary's had his own share of mistakes). I make a prediction that at least one of them will be gone by summer.
    Discuss.

2. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the future of the United defense is:

O-Shea Rio Silvestre Brown

Both Nevilles can fill in on defense and Phil can fill in at defensive midfield (although with Kleberson we are set at DM at least until Keane retires).

If you get rid of either it really limits your defensive depth, so they would need to be replaced. Shouldn't be a problem, though...

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's the Rio button?

4. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Rio makes more mistakes than Gary or Phil... he just makes up for most of them with his pace.

I actually think Gary would be a great player if he were a bit faster. Most of his mistakes seem to come from overestimating his own athletic ability, imo. As far as technique goes, he's not bad.

Phil just thinks he's a hardass... and isn't. I bet he has a poster of Roy Keane above his bedside ;).

I think I prefer Gary, mainly because he commits fewer stupid fouls.

5. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both played equally bad. I felt bad for them.

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OUCH! ;)

7. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This all seems a little unfair. Pick on the Nevilles we lost a match.

The whole defence played badly. And you dont just defend with the back four. The back four could have done a lot better.

Howard great save for the penalty. Pity about the second. Could have done better for the first, having said that as a keeper you have to come off your line and narrow the angles. Before you all go off on one I am not really attaching any real blame to Howard. But its a TEAM game.

The team resisted until they scored and then seemed to collapse, good job we have Ruud. But you cant play like that in Europe, and they should know by now.

SAF can spend in January on who,? I am not sure, but we need some more quality.

Its easy to blame the Nevilles, but Rio and Silvestre are also to blame. And dont start on tactics. SAF needs another assistant of Carlos, Kiddo or Mclaren.