Which MLS team would best represent?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by roarksown1, Sep 19, 2003.

1. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's say that a prestigious club match was set up for a big team from Europe to play against an MLS side. For the sake of argument, we'll imagine that this would be a very big match with worldwide coverage. Letting go of any home team bias (which I have to do here) and based on current form, which MLS team would you want out there in an international match to represent MLS? Remember, the world is watching...

I think that I would have to go with Chicago on this one right now. They seem to have the best cohesion as a team this year and really know how to buckle down on defense, as well as run up some goals. My second choice right now would be Columbus - I like Buddle and McBride upfront in an international competition. I just feel that these two teams right now would represent MLS very well.

I'd love to say the Galaxy, but until we find a midfield, we're not even in the mix.

2. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Because of parity any team can represent us well. Its just which team is hot at the moment. A couple of months ago I wouldve said Metro but now itll prob be the Fire or SJ. But they can easily cool down and be the worst teams.

3. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to go the Fire or SJ as well. But I'd have to go with Chicago in the end. My reason? Because, part of representing us would have to be the fans. I think chicago would be able to scratch together at least 20k Fire supporters for a match like this, and we'll need alot of fans to represent against all the people that'll be cheering for them. Unfortunately, despite what a good product SJ put on the field, they just don't seem to be able to draw in the fans.

4. crestuden

crestuden New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    My pick is obvious. The Chicago Fire should represent MLS if a prestigious match against a big time European club. Not only do they have the cohesion and current run of good form, plus they also have the most talent in the league. Several players on the Fire could play in Europe besides Beasley and Boca. They might not win the game but they would put on a show and make a statement for the quality of MLS.

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The Galaxy have it in them to play at a high level. And if you're looking for fans... then it's obvious: the Galaxy. But if it's a quality side, I think that this summer's Champions Cup showed that the place would be packed no matter the MLS stadium. But I wouldn't want any game played at Napalmville or Dallas' "stadium".

But I would have to say... that it would all depend on who's hottest at the moment.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, as a United fan, i would love to say them, but in all reality, you'd have to choose the Fire or the Crew. When you look at the striker teams on those squads, it is pure class. Buddle/McBride and Ralph/Razov ........... they can get the job done. when you throw in the secondary casts, you see that each team has lots of quality. the only thing i dislike about Chicago is Zach. other than that, they have as complete a squad as any in MLS. Columbus only struggled because of a plethora of injuries this year ........... otherwise they would be challenging for the Supporters Shield.

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loyalties aside, the Fire are the best team in the league at the moment. Their level of cohesion as well as talent makes for a truly impressive show. Besides the team, they have individuals who can make an impact and standout. The likes of Ralph, DMB, Armas, and Boca are guys that always draw attention, but there are still a few more who can turn heads. Mapp, Curtin, Razov, and even Thornton are are guys who possess a tremendous level of talent and when they play well are amazing to watch.

But that being said, any team can have a good day or a bad one. My other choices would be SJ, LA or NY. At any given time any of those teams can play exceptional ball and would challenge many a team in Europe.

8. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It kills me to say, but the Fire have the best chance. Followed by Colorado I think because of the flank midfielders they have.

9. PFSIKH

PFSIKH Member

Nov 1, 1999
    ClarkVegas
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which ever team has the hottest goalie so we do not get smoked 5-0.

10. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    WUSA just disbanded.

11. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago or the MetroStars would be the best choices. They are both good and are big name cities that everyone knows and would expect to be playing at that level just because of their names.

12. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would pick the Fire too but for a different reason than others. The Fire, if nothing else, have international caliber pace. When push comes to shove, at least Beasley, Ralph and Mapp could run at the big Euro club and at times apply pressure with attempts to get in behind them. Apply pressure, stretch the defense out, and see how they respond to being tested by someone they probably weren't expecting to be tested by.

One thing the Portugal game did show was that for all of their talent, if a European team doesn't take the speed threat seriously, they stand a chance of having their back line become chaos. It happened to Portugal and then it happened to Chivas at this years all-star game.

We can't match Euro teams for skill, cohesion, tactical awarenes or depth. But a team like the Fire _can_ match them for speed in attack.

13. deg2k

deg2k New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Austin, Tx
    FWIW, The hotest team right now is Colorado and not Chicago or SJ.

14. AriesFlame

AriesFlame New Member

Nov 28, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    I say this without any bias: the Fire should be the MLS representative. In addition to the previous points (cohesion, team speed, etc.), the Fire is coached at an almost world-class level given Dave Sarachan's experience with the US Nationals. The last game at Victoria Street is a clear example of Sarachan's savvy, switching from a high-octane 3-5-2 formation to a more conservative 4-4-2 to prevent the defense from being stretched beyond its limit.

In any case, the situation depends on who Europe would send. Would it be Man United? Real Madrid? AS Roma? Each team's style of play is different from the others, so the matchups would vary.

15. Actually, I would go with Dallas. Right now they're the...
    ...excuse me?...

no, really... I'm not kidding!...
    Really, I sh$t you not!!

oh come on... don't give me that look!... I'm dead serious!!

:confused: What!... Whaaaat!...What did I say???

16. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say SJ and Chicago are the hottest teams.
    I just think they're the best.