Which MLS team should I support?

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, May 2, 2003.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes are ahead in the poll. Should I go with them perhaps? I don't know. Perhaps we should make this a raw numbers game. Maybe, I should set a time limit on the poll, and let the various teams' supporters try to stuff the ballot box.

2. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    "God Bless the Fire."-Hamatachi

See my guestbook.

3. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    Ugly jerseys, balding 21 year olds, and they share a name with a very fat, ugly wrestler of the early 90's. You don't want that.

Following Chicago would be respectable, but try to watch the recent DC-Chicago match. Do you want to support a side that plays all 11 men standing in their goalmouth, so scared to even look in the direction of the DC goal?

LA...don't follow LA. No one likes the Galaxy. They have Chris Albright.

Colorado does have the only MLS player from Crofton, but that's about it. Chris Carrieri is a bitch.

From what I could tell, Dallas this season is actually the Johnstown Jets (?) from Slapshot. Overly physical, and their fans can dish it out but not take it. Their name sounds like a symptom of venereal disease.

The metros are the most despicable sports franchise ever. Steve Jolley! I'll hold back, because I don't want you to call the authorities on me and my anger.

Columbus has looked good so far, and they have their own stadium...in which they play jock rock during games. Their logo is a step away from a Village People record cover.

New England is by far the most negative team in MLS history. They're unwatchable (as you might have seen...and you can again when LA beats them this coming Saturday) and have the league's biggest goon in Joe Franchino.

You want to follow DC. Every other team is for suckas, and you're not a sucka. Plus, I came in here to give up some love for Ruthie. Bouncing stands, Ryan Nelsen, and a guy with a mullet. You will always have the one up on other fans in the league because DC has won nearly as many titles as the other 9 teams. We also have the best uniforms, and the highest number of posters that actually think and understand things about the game.

And, most importantly, they're my team and I'm the best person to ever live.

4. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Rather than bad mouth the other nine MLS teams, i would like to simply make our case with the top ten reasons to be a Fire fan:

10) Instant credibility to you as a supportive and knowledgeable soccer fan.
    9) Immediate claim to being a fan of a team with three major trophies and a couple of division championships to boot.
    8) Opportunity to come join on the ground floor of a new era with exciting new players and a very good new coach.
    7) At the same time the team carries its old tradition with a committment to hard work, good character and excellence on the field.
    6) Association with an image that is branded well with a traditional badge and a consistent look.
    5) We are committed to listening and responding to our fans.
    4) We are committed to giving back to the community through MLS' top community organization, the FireWorks For Kids Foundation.
    3) We are the first Major League Soccer team to win a regular season game in south Florida.
    2) Bethany is RIGHT!
    1) Nicodemus, i really want your support and will commit to you and all Fire fans that we will continue to work hard to win championships and make our fans proud of supporting the Chicago Fire.

Best of luck in this difficlt decision.

peter

5. Beckhamcpt07

Beckhamcpt07 Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CHICAGO FIRE

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Wilt - Many thanks for coming in with some serious commentary. I've got some friends in Chicago and they speak highly of ya'll's interaction with fans.

JAnderson14 - Hilarious commentary :D and thanks for the Ruthie love :p

7. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just take your time and take everything into account, becuase once you pick a team, that's it - that's your team.

Hopefully, you should have enough info to make your decision. Because JAnderson summed things up quite nicely and really, I'd rather folks became DC United fans becuase they wanted to not becuase their decision poll got spammed. That way, I know they're in for the long haul.

But whatever team you pick, just stay away from LA and the MetroScum, okay?

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying BigSoccer polls aren't a way to make major life decisions? Oh well, it's worked for me so far.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you live?

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alabama. That's the thing, there aren't really any close teams. Columbus is closest, but only by a few dozen miles to both Chicago & Dallas.

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well from the teams that you have watched, which do you enjoy watching the most? We teams appeal to you the most.

To be honest this is a decision only you can make. I see plenty of people who claim their supporters are the best, etc. etc. It's up to you. Watch all the teams and decided which you enjoy watching you the most then decide who you like.

12. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Nico, go the Quakes boards before going that route.
    You're welcome.

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just priming the pump for conversation. I've committed to nothing thus far. Although I do plan to come to a decision before the season's end.

14. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    I don't support any team either. The communism of it all makes it seem rather pointless to me. I just watch every Saturday waiting for the level of play to improve and waiting for the league to let me buy a season ticket where I get to sit on Veronica Paysee's lap for every game.

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always just kind of pulled for the league in general just so it can make the national team better.

16. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is the only league where I support more than one team. I liked the MetroStars when I was young and still do, but I also have a soft spot for the Earthquakes. I am a big Landon Donovan fan. I really support the league in general and want the league as a whole to succeed. As a whole, I am an MLS fan.

17. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose all the way BABY!!!

18. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Chicago.

Because I said so.

19. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    One day I might try this good, serious route.

Might.

Ok, probably not.

On an honest note, even with my disdain for everyone else, it's hard to argue when a team's GM is in here pulling for you. On the other hand...boo all other teams! Boo!

You could start supporting Veronica Paysee, I wouldn't begrudge you that at all.

20. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Re: Which MLS team should I support?

And that's all there is.

Chicago: 1 Billion, Everyone else: 0

Hell, even Segroves is down with the Chi-town, and with that kind of powerful wit combined with Super Dave's soccer accumen and Wilt's business sense, expect the Chicago Fire to be bigger than Starbucks by the end of the week.

Bethany: Still Right.

21. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly you should root for the Revolution because...umm....

Aww, heck, even I can't come up with a reason to root with us. Unless you're into self flagellation. Then, by all means, join us. ;)

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big points for honesty :D

23. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Nico, buddy. The voice of reason that you have been waiting for has arrived. You know you can trust me, I would never point you in the wrong direction. But I don't have to tell you the answer, you already know it. The fricken GM took the time to tell you. It's all about the Fire. Jump on the truck or get burned.

24. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    In addition to all the other pro-Fire comments:

- Peter Nowak
    - Traveling Fire fans are often louder supporters than the home fans.
    - Section 8. Not to be boastful but theres a problem on the Fire board with too many people coming in saying how amazing section 8 is.
    - Peter Wilt is a king.
    - Bethany is right.

25. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WIZARDS!