Which MFL format (past or present) do you like

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Deleted USer, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    L1. 1943/44 - 1969/70

League Standings determine League Champion

L2. Mexico 70 - 1974/75

2 groups consisting of 9 teams. The best 2 out of each group qualify to the playoffs. A semifinal and final is disputed to determine the League Champion

L3. 1975/7; 1977/78; 1981/82-1987/88; 1989/90-present

4 groups. top 2 teams from each group qualify to the playoffs. 1/4s, semis, and the finals are disputed to determine the League Champion

L4. 1976/77; 1978/79-1980/81; 1988/89

4 groups. top 2 teams from each group qualify to the playoffs. Playoffs teams are divided into 2 groups of four. Each group plays each other hame and away. Each playoff group leader qualify to dispute the final to determine League Champion

Which format do you think is the best and why? Which one do you think is the most fair and why?

2. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I voted for none. I love the MFL, but I think each format had its virtues as well as its flaws.

For example, L1 is by far the most fair. THe team with the most points is league champion. But it has its flaws. A team can jump off to a great start but decrease the level of play (for what ever reasons) and still be crowned champion. It could be that a team in the second half of the season play a lot better, but just didint have enough fixtures to be the champs. I am a firm believer of its not how you start, but how you end.

I would combined L1 and L3 together. I would do away with the groups and use the table to determine the best 8 teams. Then the playoffs would be disputed to determine the champ. I dont like how a team can have less merit than other teams and still manage to sneak in the playoffs because of regulatory discrepencies.

3. mejulian

mejulian New Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Mexico City
    I'd have 18 teams playing each other twice over a year. Top 8 go to the final round while the last 3 get relegated.

On the final round there is a single game in the stadium of the team with the most points.

I'd like to see real relegation. I'm tired of seeing teams in the middle table playing for nothing and just being mediocre. The so-called average system is useless, it was an Argentine invention and has a reason there, it is not valid in Mexico.

4. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I'd have 18 teams playing each other twice over a year. Top 8 go to the final round while the last 3 get relegated.

i'd prefer that too, but wont happen. Too much money will be lost. Networks get to televise 2 championships per year rather than 2.

And the smaller clubs will lose money. To be its not a coincidence that team like Morelia, Pachuca, Santos have all made a name for themselves due in part because of the shorter season

On the final round there is a single game in the stadium of the team with the most points.

??

Do you mean the a ine game final? If you'd like that, that cool, but I see that as a distaster waiting to happen.

Just look at the MLS cup or even the Champions League Cup. One game, teams tend to be defensive.

I'd like to see real relegation.

You and I both.

I'm tired of seeing teams in the middle table playing for nothing and just being mediocre.

Well, thats not entirely true. With the 4 groups and reclassification games, teams that are ranked 9-14 are usually in contention. SO they play for that reclassification game.

I dont like it myself. If you use the best 8 format, you will see that the 6th all the way through the 12th best team fight for a playoff spot. And justice still served, because the 8 teams with the most points are in the big dance. Just to think that Cruz Azul made the playoffs last year with 24 points and Santos and America were sent home packing ..America has 29 points and Santos had 30 points.

The so-called average system is useless, it was an Argentine invention and has a reason there, it is not valid in Mexico.

I agree, especially when Mexico's 2nd division is subsidized. Some clubs are registered to the General Secretary for the right for promotion. Some clubs are registered there for one purpose, roster enhancement for the first division clubs.

Mexico cant have a true 2nd division until all teams are autonomous and maintained and operated themselves. Those execs in the lower divisions and nothing but puppets to the head honchos. But they dont do much. If it wasnt for the money that gets sent to them by the 1st division, they would all go bankrupt because they rely on the first division for funds. They need to start managing and marketing thier teams a little bit more professionally

That is also one fo the reasons a National Cup wont work in Mexico. Whats the point of America playing Tigrillos? Or Cruz Azul playing Cruz Azul Hidalgo? Or Toluca playing Atl. Mexiqense? Or Chivas playing Tapatio? Its basically the same rosters and funds come from the same account

5. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    MFL Format

Single Table format with the Club that makes the most points at the end of the season being crowned Champs. It would also make it better if the top two teams (Champ and Runner-Up) qualified for the Copa Libertadores while third and fourth placed teams went to the TFC CC. I would also like a Cup championship which if it can get sponsered should boost a considerable amount of prize money so that teams would take it seriously. The La Liga Copa del Rey format is pretty good where they have clubs from all divisions competing in single game elimination matches. Then at the end of the season we can have a Copa de Campeones between the league Champ and Cup Champ.. And before i forget we should add real relegation where at the end of the season the two worst clubs go back to second div..

:) :)

6. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    check it.

I like the idea that the season's top club be crowned champ. But would like to see the liguilla continue as competition of some sort with the top 8 clubs being able to advance. As with everyone else I would like to see the 2nd division be more competitive. And of course real relegation. And while we are it at 3 foriegn players starting per team and 2 20 yrs Mexicans starting also.