Which Italian club should I support and why?

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Catfish, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Please don't say just because. Also they should be in Serie A, not some club that I will never see play or hear anything about them.

Thanks for your thougthts and time.

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    how bout Parma ?

3. fischetts

fischetts New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Long Island/Baltimor
    Despite being raised as a Juve fan, I'd say Parma or Lazio. They seem to put together exciting, fun teams.

If I could do it all over again, I'd be a fan of one of them. My dad has always told me of the "great Juve," but he was born and raised on the other side of the country, which kind of irks me now that I've already been brainwashed. It's like supporting the Yankees.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Since you are living in the US, I think you should try to follow one of the teams in the Champions League since they are on TV most often here. Do you have access to any channels that carry Serie A games - GolTV, for instance? That would help if you wanted to start following one of the other teams. It also helps if you are familiar with or like particular players. Nedved for Juventus, Shevchenko for Milan, Totti for Roma, etc etc.

Juventus - plus: great tradition, usually a winning side. minus: people would accuse you of following them just because they are good (you should have some other reason for following them, like fischetts, or mine - "because I married a Juventus fan".)

Milan - see Juventus.

Inter - plus: great tradition but hasn't much lately. minus: they beat the crap out of one of your other favorites yesterday. speaking of which, they are also known as "perennial underachievers".

Lazio - plus: another team that is good but hasn't won much (two Serie A championships, the last Cup-Winners Cup). minus: some of their fans have a reputation of being racist, which has given the club a bad reputation (deserved or not).

Roma - plus: see Inter and Lazio. minus: hmmm, can't really pin it down. I guess it's that their fans are arrogant for no good reason.

Parma - plus: humble team that always does pretty well even as they sell their top players. minus: humble team that always does pretty well even as they sell their top players.

5. Perugina

Perugina Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Grand Rapids MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Serie A team

Well, since you are from Chicago and your sister city is Milan, you may want to choose Inter or Milan to support. If you want anguish, nail biting, and crying....go for Inter ;)

I support Perugia. I was the liason for all our sister cities (Grand Rapids MI) and got to visit Perugia. Their minister of culture took me to a match and I was hooked. They won against Verona and secured a place in Serie A...they haven't been down to B SINCE! I'm sure I brought the good karma with me ;)

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Welcome, Perugina. There have been a couple of threads about Perugia here and in the Italy clubs board - as you know, your chairman is a good one for generating publicity - but also because of the team's success in the Inter Toto cup this summer. Please post your thoughts. Always good to have fans from some of the smaller clubs posting here.

7. Vic Lupi

Vic Lupi Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Essex Fells, NJ
    Like finishing second? Then it's Inter all the way ...

Yeah, I'm a Minnesota Vikings fan too - a true glutton for punishment

8. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Catfish -- go for Lazio! Sue gave you some real good reasons and its too easy to pick juve or a milan club (like every bandwagon fan will do)...

a chance to win something this year, great manager, best uniforms and we actually play to score goals! If you watch enough Serie A you'll see its a rarity.

Check out RAI International or RAI Italia this weekend for Lazio/Parma...we'll be on ESPN2 in Oct also..

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't listen to the people who call Juve fans bandwagon fans. My very first game I ever went to was Lazio v Juve when I wa 6. My father took me when we were visiting relatives in Italy. My father's a huge Lazio fans as are a number of other relatives. I was hooked with Juve from that day on, part of it was because I loved their uniforms, part of it was because I was rooting against my dads team. That's the same reason I became a Yankees and Rangers fan. My dad's a Mets and Canucks fan.

Juve has a storied history and is always one of the most entertaining teams in Serie A. Their achievements can be matched by none. If someone was asking me I'd say Juve, BUT..... I think your best bet it to watch Serie A for a season and see which team appeals to you the most. Then that's your team.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Mets and Canucks?!

11. mattyc2422

mattyc2422 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Melbourne
    Parma. Because. :D:D

12. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Dante I wasn't suggesting your a bandwagon fan, but a lot of people are....its like the dallas cowboys in the mid 90s..

sometimes father does know best ;)

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Same here. Of course, not all Juve fans are bandwagon fans! My point is, if you want to be a Juve fan (or a Milan fan, even), you need to be prepared for people accusing you of being a bandwagon fan. It's almost like deciding to be a fan of Manchester United or Real Madrid.

14. MikeyM

MikeyM New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Frisco, TX.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When Donkeys Fly

You might look @ Chievo. They are a small club, recently promoted in 2001 to Serie A. They have finished 5th & 7th in their first two seasons. Also, how can you go wrong with a team with a nickname of "The Super Flying Donkeys."

15. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes, I understand the bandwagon fan label. I supported Real Madrid and AC Milan for a reason. I hated being labelled. :)

Catfish, I advised you to support a team that you can find a connection with. I used to pick teams to support and ended up a bandwagon fan every year. For Serie A, I had supported Juventus(bandwagon), Fiorentina(I love the city and Batigoal), Roma(for Batigoal), Inter Milan(for Klinsman, Ronaldo) and AC Milan(for Weah) over the years. Then, one day I was walking in NYC and I went into AC Milan..... I decided on that day it was a divine intervention. God has choosen AC Milan for me!!!!

AC Milan might be good for you since Chicago and Milan are sister cities mentioned by another posters. Unliked Inter, AC Milan also wore red just liked the Fire.

16. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    i believe every club has a certain "character":

Juventus: resilience,mental strenght,group over personalities,no "fancy" football

Milan: a glamour side with a strong backbone

Inter: the eternal loser,inconclusiveness

Roma: self-complacency,which turns to whining when things go wrong. Very low self-criticism. The immature,spoiled dude.

Lazio: the middle-class guy who tries to live above his means

Torino: hard-nosed,proud of its humble status

you should choose the club that fits your character best; players,playing styles,success come and go.

Personally,i appreciate clubs which are financially well managed. If that's your case,and exposition is not such a priority,you should take a look at Udinese (beyond Juventus)

17. ADO Den Haag

ADO Den Haag Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Like saying that he wants to have a tall blond woman from Scandinavia with excellent ball skills in his locker room to play with?

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    AC milan is the only serie blAh team worth bothering with... well maybe udinese also - and for heaven's sake... NOT ROMA!!!!! UGH!!!

but do you haaaaaave to have a team from every league?

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its perfectly fine to support teams all over. Of course buying a lot of gear over the net will cost you big money.

Best thing to do - watch some games, watch some highlights, check out the club sites.

A lot of teams have english sites and that is a good help.

20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, my dad moved to Canada before the US and lived in British Columbia. He became a Vancouver fan. When he came to the US he started following the Mets because we lived in Queens, this was all before I was born. So when raising me he tried to get me to be a Mets fan and I resisted and became a Yankees fan. As for the hockey, he tried to raise me as a Canucks fan but I was having none of that. The rest of my family are Islanders fans, they all live on Long Island, so naturally I became a Rangers fan. I had to do the opposite of what they were all doing. I've been a fan of the Yanks, Rangers, Juve etc. since I was around 6 or so.

21. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Support Roma because they are going to win the Scudetto this season.

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    OMG i can die now... i've heard everything

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh come on. They are playing well, have won it just a couple of years ago.

24. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't mind Bluedaddy, he is still bitter that Chivu chose Roma over Ajax.

25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true. That was a sweet free kick, and then to do it two weeks in a row.

Wish I had seen that match.