Which is the lamer 'excuse' comment

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by flanoverseas, Sep 5, 2002.

1. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    The two excuses that Eurosnobs love to throw out, but that I've also seen this week from Americans. Which one is worse? I hate them equally.

2. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I can't wait to hear the American basketball authorities use your first option to explain the loss to Argentina.

3. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    that's where I heard an American on these boards say. (actually "saw" what he typed):)

4. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    The US would not have reached the q-finals had they not been lucky. It's a simple as that.

5. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    I didn't vote because I am not all that interested in the Tournament. I watched the last two minutes of tonight's game to see if Yugoslavia would be able to hold them off but that's all i've watched.

Maybe if Shaq, Kobe and Iverson had been there I might have been more interested, but that still isn't an excuse for losing.

6. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    But you say it like it's a phenomnon unique to the U.S. or that we only had good luck.

Even Brazil was lucky. (Kahn dropping shot, for example.

7. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    It always takes a little luck to win a tournament or a league championship....sure, you can have a great team...but you have to have a couple breaks go your way....

I don't give an damn if the US was lucky or not to get to the Q-finals...we were and ALOT of other countries weren't...

HAHA

8. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well in the other thread about why the US sucks, I used that they were lucky as a reason that they suck. When the US had a chance to control their own destiny by only needing a draw versus Poland they failed. They then had to rely on other teams failings to advance to the next round. I would certainly say that qualifies for, the US needed luck to advance.

9. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    maybe Poland got lucky.......

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina can have a basketball win...I don't care since the USA has beaten them the last 2 or 3 meetings in soccer :D That and the fact I don't give half a care about basketball.

11. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    and they also needed to get a win and a tie to advance.

What was so "lucky" about a semi-finalist winning a group game?

12. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US was quite unlucky in the first round IMO.

Agoos scoring an own goal in the first game cancels out the luck of our 2nd goal.

But against Korea we had no "luck" on calls. Every 50/50 call was made against us.

But having more points from 2 games than Portugal or Poland had from 3 games is not lucky at all. That's just performance.

The luckiest team in the tournament had to be Brazil. Ronaldinho vs England says it all. Rivaldo not getting a suspension? The World Cup MVP dropping a ball allowing Ronaldo to score in the final.

Luck plays a huge role in soccer. Maybe the US's luckiest occurances were injuries to Armas and Agoos. Not that I am glad they were hurt, but I think we played better in our adjusted formations.

13. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are absolutely correct!!!

I mean, that game against New Zealand could've gone either way, and I'm sure we caught Yao Ming on a bad day when we played China, so, yes, we were very lucky to make the quarterfinals...

Oh, wait...

14. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true ...

15. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ask Costa Rica what it was like being in China's group.

16. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    For good sake's, he meant the basketball WC.

17. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    But it was in response to my post which was about soccer.