Which golden-goal felt better?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by living_ded_boy, Nov 10, 2003.

1. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Voice of reason! :D

2. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Can't some things be sick and funny? (Maybe I read too much National Lampoon when I was younger.) I wonder how many of the people complaining here were chuckling to OJ jokes when all that crap was going down. We should just take a sign down there next time that responds in kind: "SJ = club, LA = baby harp seal" or something like that.

A bunch of people need to take a lesson from Sgt. Hulka and "lighten up, Francis."

Oh, and I voted for DeRo's golden goal at MLS Cup '01. I was at that, too, so the immediate ecstasy was about the same as last night, but DeRo's tally was for all the marbles. Plus, it was in the crib of a team the Quakes had previously eliminated. And I think because of the timing (about a month after 9/11, when the media had everyone so stressed out they were scared of their own shadows), it was also a huge relief and distraction.

3. JDKid

JDKid New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Milpitas
    Yeah lets get on with it, but when you hear that you can not trust a newbie I really do not know if you could be trusted. The Quakes rocked and so did the fans. For the person sitting behind me THANKS it was a pleasure giving you high fives after every goal and having a fan into the game as was myself and friends.

4. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

You aren't getting my point.....people make up screen names to cause trouble, everyone that saw the sign has very few posts. When someone I recognize says that they saw Loney holding the sign, i'll believe it. Nothing personal.

5. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Unfair question

This is like asking who is your favorite child.

The Faria goal was great because it was the culmination of an epic comeback against the hated rival. Additionally, the emotion displayed by Faria after a rough year for him personally gives that goal a special oooomph. It is a great story.

The DeRo goal won the whole shebang for the Quakes against the hated rival. To go from missing the playoffs for 4 years to being crowned MLS Cup champions thanks to the Canuck's golden goal: how can you choose against that goal.

I'm sorry. I refuse to play your game. I won't choose which goal was better. They were both great and franchise-defining. :)

6. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Re: Unfair question

LOL..... i'm not saying 'which goal was better' or 'which meant more'........i'm asking which one "felt" better to you, when it happened? It's not Sophie's Choice.....lol

7. JDKid

JDKid New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Milpitas
    I did not know you had the sign. I felt it in very bad taste. I did ask the security why they would alow it and they said freedom of speech and i felt poor taste. It was another thread that said who did it. So lets go quakes and I may need a shovel from Home Depot for you. (HaHa)

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Which golden-goal felt better?

There was a lot of funny crap surrounding the OJ situation that didn't have anything to do with making fun of the fact that two people got their heads nearly sliced off.

Maybe it means more to me because I grew up in Modesto at the same time as Laci Rocha, and maybe I'm old-fashioned in the face of an ever-coarsening society, and maybe I'm not perfect and have laughed at inappropriate things, but I wholeheartedly reserve the right to be bothered by jokes that make light of a pregnant woman getting murdered on Christmas Eve and dumped in the Bay.

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Unfair question

Excellent! Excellent! (Monty, you're always so upbeat.) I refuse to vote in this as well.

10. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A Golden Goal which wins the MLS Cup over LA or a Golden Goal which advances the Quakes to the next round of the playoffs over LA?

Anyone who didn't vote for the MLS Cup winning goal is a moron.

11. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

If you were there, you would understand. I didn't ask which game meant more. Why so bitter Slipp?

12. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Even Donovan said on the radio today that he never felt that energy from a crowd and he never experienced anything so intense as that game last sunday night..... including the World Cup.

13. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moron speaking (or typing). For the same reason that I wouldn't vote the Dayak's, I was at the game. I wasn't at the game against Miami or the MLS Cup Final in 2001.

If you were at the game, you know the difference between watching an event on television versus attending the event...

14. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    However, there was something to sharing the Miami victory with fellow fans at the Brit...then sharing Ray Hudson's champagne (cheap crap though it may have been).

15. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    The Cup winning goal was great, but I am sure SJ will see more Cup winning goals in the future. The Goal last weekend was however historical, not just for Quakes fans but for all MLS and soccer fans in general. It came in an incredible game against incredible odds. And even more amazing was the atmosphere in which it took place, at home with the best crowd (the loudest most passionate) Spartan has ever seen for a Quakes match. I went to Old Navy yesterday and purschased a scarf, a shade of blue similar to what the Quakes wear, I'm going to have it embroidered "SJ 5 - LA 2".

16. dk_dynamite

dk_dynamite New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    SF via London
    I was at both games, and obviously DeRo's goal was the more skillful (dropping a defender and cracking it off the post) and more significant in Earthquakes history (MLS Cup #1).

That said, the atmosphere in Columbus was ok, at best...

I think Faria's goal was more intense because of the build-up (yeah, the 85 minute build-up). I just recovered my voice this morning...

It was a clinical finish, but against a drained and desparate team of girls (I mean Gals). Hopefully, this will be significant in hoisting MLS Cup #2.

17. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Actually, I think Roner's goal was more exiting than Faria's. Catching up in 90th minute was the story for me. Winning was gravy.

18. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

An analogy.......Roner's goal was like asking Heather Mitts out and having her say "sure, what took ya so long to ask?" and Faria's goal was like Heather calling you back 10 minutes later and saying "Let's just skip the date and get a room at the Hilton"........GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!! :D

19. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Finally, an analogy on this board I can understand.

20. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me just say: Roner's goal was like taking Heather Mitts out to the Hilton, taking care of business, and Faria's goal was like, 60 minutes later
    and turning to her and saying, "ready to go again?!"

21. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    You had to bring this up again???? You didn't save any for me.

22. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Which golden-goal felt better?

Thank goodness it didn't take Faria 60 minutes.

23. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was lucky to get a sip, myself.

And I shouted him an oil can of Foster's afterwards, as well... and delivered with a hand-pass, too. :D

Believe me, I'd do that again this evening after the game... if I was there.

But all things considered, there's better beer than that here.

24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All things considered, though, and on topic, each of the three golden goals have their own characteristics.

But I'll go with the Faria decider, at the risk that my choice isn't being tainted by the fact that it's the freshest in our memories.

I think the enormity of the comeback (which I have hence coined "The Miracle at 7th & Alma Streets") made Faria's goal all the much sweeter.

25. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still Farias - if the question is still which one felt the best. Realistically, the least important to date.