Which German Budesliga club should I support and why?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Catfish, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
  2. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    English language website

Another site that has Bayern news (in English) is that of Canadian born & raised Owen Hargreaves, who plays for Bayern Munich and England.

www.owenhargreaves.de

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not a Dig at all....just an observation.

I have asked the question of which club to support in La Liga, Italy, and the Bundesliga. Funny thing is that people that support the REALLY good clubs tell me to support someone else and not the successful club. Like if you decide now, to support MY holy club, then you are such a gloryhunter, but not me.

Just thought that was interesting...also the fact that many people suggested clubs other than their own...fascinating. Why people wouldn't champion their own side to get more supporters whether their club is someone to brag about or not???

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    DO NOT CHOOSE HANSA ROSTOCK! they are soooooooo boring to watch

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

5. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    You should support Hamburg SV. They are not off to a great start so you won't be considered glory hunting. Also the former club of 2 time World Player of the Year Award, Kevin Keegan, and current Man City manager. Also even though they have less games on FSW they have an English language site that you can follow them on.

6. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Re: Not a Dig at all....just an observation.

why mentioning clubs other than the own? you wanted a true answer to your question and it seems most of the users on this board are really honest people ;-)

btw: i am born 80km east of dortmund and so i'm a bvb fan now. bielefeld is nearer to the town i've lived but when the "decision" came up they played 2nd division. AND of course my brother who is 3 years older is a big borussia dortmund fan since ever (same with me).

bvb has an english (and chinese) website and you can gor for http://www.schwatzgelb.com, a sister site of schwatzgelb.de, the biggest bvb fanzine on the net (schwatzgelb is ruhr valley slang for schwarzgelb which means blackyellow).

jonam, http://www.schwatzgelb.com

7. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001

I suppose it appears like that, but many times the team one supports isn't the voluntary choice you are making and therefore the factors in the decision are entirely different.

8. ttt_brooks

ttt_brooks New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Alberta Canada
    Cheer for any club except for Bayern Munich. Cheering for them is following the crowd and nobody believes that a Bayern fan actually is loyal to his club they think he is just going with the winning team. I support Hertha BSC Berlin but everybody should pick their own club.

9. ForeverStuttgart1893

Sep 18, 2003
    Cleveland
    You have to support whatever club plays the style of football you like. I've always been a Stuttgart supporter and this young crop of footballers we have plays exciting attractive football that I haven't seen in years. It's strange to think that we were nearly relegated a couple seasons ago.

10. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Shut up! You are not really into Bundesliga, are you? I mean look at your favorite teams..tehehehe!

http://www.fc-hansa.de/ (official)

http://hansafans.de/

11. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You might consider that, but style of play can change very quickly. A new coach and you play a different system. What are you going to do then? Look for a new club? No way!
    And as you said Stuttgart didn´t play that great 2 years ago. :)

12. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Re: Domingo...my friend

I was just replying to your conditions 'passionate fans' and 'chance to win the title', that's why I wasn't trying to make you a Bayer fan... If you're now adding 'attractive soccer', then your combined criteria match exactly 0 teams. Neither Dortmund nor Bayern won't be found anywhere near the top in such a ranking. The most beautiful offensive soccer is played by Hannover and Leverkusen. But as domingo said, this also depends on the Coach they are having - Daum and Toppmöller loved offence soccer in Leverkusen, Vogts definitely not, and I am still not quite sure with Augenthaler. Stuttgart definitely played attractive last season, but in this season I have the impression that they play very cautious again.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i love bundesliga... hell i was raised on bundesliga

14. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Domingo...my friend

Bayern are actually playing attractive soccer. Ballack, Pizarro, Ze Roberto, Deisler and Makaay are all combining well. But their defense has been bad (a real reversal of last season).

Bayer are playing attractive soccer. Also, Augenthaler has them playing solid defensively without stifling their offense.

15. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Re: Re: Re: Domingo...my friend

Sorry, but I got to contradict. Hitzfeld is playing a very defence and result determined style. Their usual game is to keep the ball moving in the defence until they find the hole and can start a promising offence situation. No doubt Bayern has the players with enough class to play attractive soccer - Beckenbauer, Rummenigge & Co demanded that for the last season, Hitzfeld gave in and it worked until they got their crisis hand in hand with the CL. From that point on Hitzfeld returned to his old and boring success formula - that's also why Ballack was complaining about the system in the spring of this year. They definitely have good moments and can make a highlight show look very good, but a full length Bayern game is coming close to torture for someone, who loves attractive offensive soccer.

16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    hannover has the most attractive attacking style IMO

17. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I think the one and only answer is:

[​IMG]

German Champions 1941
    German Cup-Winner 1938

18. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Domingo...my friend

Olaf, I'll agree that Hitzfeld usually employs a tacticly strict, conservative style. Nevertheless, plenty of attractive soccer has arisen from Bayern, due to the individual talents. You even mentioned that they have good moments for the hightlight show. If there wasn't anything attractive, there wouldn't be anything for the highlight show.

But we are mincing over semantics. You are focusing on manager tactics, I'm focusing on the overall picture. Both of us are actually correct. You are right in that from a pure tactical standpoint, , Hitzfeld does not employ a free-flowing offensive system. I'm right in that defensive system or not, individual talent can still shine through (as has for Bayern).

19. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA

Well, you set forth certain desired criteria and, rather than respond reflexively, people actually tried to give you intelligent responses matching what you were looking for. But if that's not what you're looking for . . .

Vfl Wolfsburg: a small club (underdog) with big ambitions, fueled by VW euros. Promoted about a half-dozen years for the first time ever, and have steadily consolidated their position. Great new stadium. No bandwagon to speak of (in fact, many on this board dislike them). Within a couple points of the league lead as we speak. Could very well be in Europe next season. Haven't won a thing ever, so you'll be in on the ground floor when they do. Think Bayer Jr. Have scored a bunch of goals this year. Reyna, McBride and Deering all played for Wolfsburg. Their coach played in NASL.

Borussia Moenchengladbach: the second most successful club in Bundesliga history (behind Bayern). Back in their hey-day (70s), they played the most attractive soccer in Germany and were admired throughout much of the country. Haven't done much lately and, in fact, were relegated a few years ago and are prime relegation candidates this year, but their fans are still very loyal and well-regarded and they have a top-notch new stadium opening next year. A classy club.

20. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I favor Austria Wien. However, since this is on the Germany forum, they're proably more interested in that other Bundesliga.

21. Fkesoccer

Fkesoccer New Member

Jul 22, 2001
    Following the crowd..
    how bout Real?
    Manchester?
    Yankees?

I actually became an FCB supporter when I saw the mlose to ManUre in the 99 CL final.

22. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    The one with the slogan "Die beste Bundesliga der Welt" :)

Fkesoccer: that's odd, I almost became a ManU supporter in that game ;)

23. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    If you are looking for a team in the southeast region of Germany and if you like pulling for underdogs and enjoy having your heart broken now and again, then I would suggest the Loewen (lions) of TSV 1860. They have a young team and lots of passion. They rarely beat Bayern, but when they do it's like the Red Sox beating the Yankees. Be prepared to hope endlessly that they'll make it out of the middle of the table once in a while as well as holding your breath when they dip below the tenth spot. It's a fun bunch of loyal fans and certainly not as large as Bayern's contigent. But when they start singing that players on Bayern are homosexuals during the match, there's not much funnier things you'll see.

24. c.topfer

c.topfer New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    You guys are ALL wrong. He should support another club: Eintracht Frankfurt

Why should he support Frankfurt, besides them having the coolest logo?
    Admitted, they have not been playing great football lately, but they have been playing "Football 2000" back in 92, so that makes them special :) And they will be playing good football again I am sure.

With Frankfurt you will have one of the best fan scenes in Germanys, their die-hards "Ultras" are regarded as the best in Germany

Check out http://www.uf97.de and see pictures like this:

[​IMG]

And, more important, you will have experiences you will never forget with this club - it will never be boring!
    In 99 they faced relegation and were 4 points behind with two games to go. They played Schalke away and were 2:0 down, came back to win it 3:2. The final match they had to win against Kaiserslautern and did so with 5:1 (Half time 1:1), the exact result they had to achieve, with a spectacular goal in extra time. They did not relegate because of having scored more goals than Nuremburg, whilst having the same goal difference.

Last season (two years ago they got relegated) they played in the final game of 2. Liga and had to achieve the exact same result than Mainz. While Mainz were up 4:0 and Frankfurt down 2:3 just 20 Minutes to go, Frankfurt managed to achieve a 6:3 with goals in 90th and 92nd minute and Mainz conceded a goal so Frankfurt got promoted.

If you like excitement, Frankfurt is your choice.
    They have also been voted to have played the best match ever being played in club football against Real Madrid in the 1960 "CL" final.

[​IMG]

25. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Hey boneheads, he already stated that he's a glory hunter who wants his team to be able to win the world's ugliest salad bowl right from the get-go. So get these 1860 and Frankfurt ideas out of your heads.