Which forward should be dropped for Oranje?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by spoonman, May 10, 2006.

1. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  2. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Lange Jan has to stay home

3. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Huntelaar. We've all seen he needs time to develop in a game, which he does brilliantly of course, but it's time he will not get at the World Cup.

4. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    agreed

5. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Can I ask who voted for van Nistelrooy?

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    my guess is astabooty :D

this is obviously a tough call between vennegoor and huntelaar - i have been saying vennegoor all along, but huntelaar is certainly the form player

i don't envy marco's having to make this decision

7. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We'll know in 5 days, May 15 is the deadline.

8. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    Should we tell him that Kluivert isn't going regardless?

9. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    VOH should if anyone.

10. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How about Marco himself? Short tournmament, his ankle ought to hold up . . .

11. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol. it wasnt me when you guys asked, but i did make the 2nd vote. i just voted for fun though. realistically it probably should be huntelaar. unless if he is going to be starting, i dont think he would be that helpful. voh's height does cause problems to defenders and is a better option off the bench. and imo, kuijt is the only "untouchable" of that group.

12. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Noone has touched on this but I'd like remind you guys that Huntelaar will most likely be Holland's future striker, so why bring voH along who's old instead of hunter (age 22) who needs the experience of playing in the WC.
    This way he has experience for Africa 08 and perhaps WC12 also.

13. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Hunter will gain enough experience in the Euro 08 qualifying. What he can gain weighed against what is best for the team now leans towards the latter.

14. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If Hunter were 18 I may agree with you but 22 is getting up there, Marco should bring him to Germany now and drop VoH.
    It's obvious Hunter is much more of an offensive supersub threat then VoH ever will be.

15. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hunter belongs there. This V oh H garbage is painful. You pick the best players, and most importantly the ones who are on top form.

16. Seedorf

Seedorf New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN USA
    I couldn't have said it any better.

17. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Whoa someone finally picked Kuijt. I wish the poll was public, then we could have seen who did that and who the first person to pick van Nistelrooy was. Since Astabooty was the second.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It becomes obvious to me that Vennegoor has supporters only in Holland. It's not so strange that people who hardly ever see him play don't like him.

19. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    There are so many reasons why and why not to take Huntelaar and VoH. To be honest, I think they almost totally balance each other out. So if I were van Basten, I'd flip a coin. :D

20. nucgunner

nucgunner Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Van, Can.
    That's not true. I don't comment much on the eredivisie because I almost never get to see it, but I want Vennegoor in Germany for what he did against Estonia I think. When the attack just isn't working and the opposition throwing 11 men behind the ball, he won the desperation ball forward with his head to Ruud who, finally getting an opening, did the rest. It ain't pretty but the big man option can get you the result you need by making that little bit of opening that nothing else seems to create. Vennegoor is the best option for this in the current Dutch squad.

I'm just not convinced that Marco shouldn't bring both Vennegoor and Huntelaar to Germany. If Ruud gets injured/suspended then, with the form Huntelaar is showing, I think he's looking like the more consistent goal-threat than the big man right now. I'd like to think Marco could make room for him by dropping one of the depth players in midfield or defence.

21. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    to the 5 people who reckon RVN shud be dropped... i laugh in your face and then slap it! what are you thinking?!

22. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    the only reason i wouldnt like huntelaar to go is... if he shines and gets snapped up by a top-ish club...

23. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kuijt would do the job just fine and then RvP or someone else could take RW or VDV could play the 9 if he is healthy.

24. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Doesn't Holland play a 4-3-3, with Kuijt sometimes playing on the right? If so, why is he only taking 3 strikers?

25. masterbeat

masterbeat New Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Holland
    If van Basten has guts he will select Huntelaar, if not he leave him home.:D