Which "football" do you prefer

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by theworm2345, Apr 17, 2006.

1. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I figure, because this is a soccer forum, it will be soccer, but some people here probably like them equal

2. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    i dont like watching football, you watch more commercials then the actual game

3. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    American football might be watchable if they actually played the game continuously rather than playing for a few seconds then having another advert break. Even baseball has more continuous action...

4. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    American Football is a coaches game. It's fun to play Madden or whatnot on xbox because there is no stoppage of doing anything. You are either calling the plays, making audibles at the line, or actually running the play.

But you don't get to do any of that when you watch the game, you only see the short instance of when they actually run the play... pretty boring, especially compared to soccer.

5. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I've never understood why football (as opposed to soccer) is so popular in the US. I've tried to like it. I've tried to watch games but I always end being thoroughly bored. Players move a few yards and the game stops. Then the commercials. There's no flow. I'm not a huge rugby fan but it is watchable and I have seen some exciting games.

6. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like them equal because i was raised with both even though i never played either in a team growing up i know the rules to both sports the only thing i would change in soccer is that they stop the time when someone is injured teams take advantage of that when their ahead then u wont need added time and in football theres too many breaks it gets fustruating but i rather watch a usa mexico game the the super bowl any day theres somethings footy has that american football doesnt somethings american football has that footy doesnt to me footy is a little better imma be honest

7. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Er...I THINK I understood what you said! In the first few seasons of MLS they did stop the clock when there was an injury so there was no stoppage time. That and the penalty shootout for every tied game proved unpopular with grassroots fans who wanted the game played like everywhere else in the world. They got their wish, thank goodness! Still, stopping the clock for an injury (how many can there be?) isn't as annoying as stopping the clock after every completed 40 second play!

8. javier66

javier66 Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Mission, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grew up playing little league american football and I'm going to be honest it's fun to play. But it's not the same passion as soccer. I've seen games in person at Estadio Jalisco (Chivas v. America) with 60,000 passionate fans and it just doesn't compare to american football, no matter what the sports experts here in the states say.

9. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    For those of you who think American Football is boring, try watching it on TiVo, its better on it :)

10. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree i hate when american football stopping every 40 seconds and i dont like shootouts either but i dont even remember when they stopped the clock its all a blurr to me i was like 8 or 9 years old

11. jott

jott Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall, I'd have to with soccer. Outside of Packer and Badger games, I really don't watch much American Football anymore. I like the general feel of soccer more. For me, soccer is more about beauty and creativity, whereas American Football (the NFL especially) is about being tough and macho. For my money, Rugby Union is a much more exciting sport. I've gotten into conversations about soccer with people I've never met before, and there seems to be some sort of connection. American Football doesn't seem to have that. With the exception of College Football, the sport in general feels very sterile and passion amongst the fans seems to be discouraged.

12. BigKeeper

BigKeeper Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grew up a huge Dolphins fan. I always watched Football as a kid. Probably
    because there was absolutely no Soccer on TV.
    As I got older I watched less Football and since FSC and GolTv I cannot watch Football, or Baseball, anymore. They bore me to death.
    I no longer have any connection with the teams or any of the players. I don't even know who the players are anymore. I have zero interest. I have even tried to regain my interest but couldn't, so I have given up even though there seems to be an unwritten law that American men are supposed to like American Football.
    All I follow and watch now is Soccer because I personally find it the most entertaining. Only problem with this is you only have a small group of people
    in the office to talk about Soccer with if any. Unlike the Football geeks(guys who never played sports but know everything about football:rolleyes: ) who congregate and talk about the past weekend and coming weekend games.

Funny thing yesterday in my office. This guys starts talking to me about Baseball and stops himself and says, "thats right, you're not into sports".
    Now that is funny. He is a guy who never played sports but watches Football, Baseball and Hockey. So, he's into sports.
    I'm 6'4" 230lbs, I have played Soccer, Football, Baseball, Lacrosse and Basketball as a kid. I still play Soccer and Basketball and workout/run regularly and watch and follow tons of Soccer and this guy says I'm not into sports because I don't watch Football and Baseball like he does.:confused:

13. ianniello

ianniello New Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    honestly i can't choose as far as playing. i've played soccer since i was 5 years old. i only played 2 years of football but i can say for a fact that football is one of the most greuling sports as far as practicing and the coaching attitudes (at least at lower levels) so it's easy to see why people generally think of it as a "macho" sport. i liken it to a war in that any two teams in the nfl could beat eachother. its all about coaching, strategy and preparation and i find that fascinating.

soccer, i liken more to a 30/30/40 mixture of strategy, skill and vision. i personally find it much more gratifying to play but i dont disrespect american football at all. its a great sport, just not my cup of tea to watch anymore unless im at the game.

14. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Im not going to any parties with you ;)
    Its not exactly hard to watch both, Saturday mornings, Soccer, Sunday afternoons football

15. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Tough for me to answer without any qualifiers. A sport is only what you make of it. How much you care, what's on the line, why you're watching, or playing. They matter quite a bit. Here's what I mean:

I would rather watch live on TV a USMNT game than any regular season football game at any level. Nothing better than rooting for your country, and it always seem like such a long wait between games.

But for the few football teams I care about when the game means something I'd take that over any club team soccer game; great to be at the game too, lots of fans, great atmosphere. Maybe a good Galaxy vs. Chivas, or a Galaxy playoff game would beat out some football games.

I enjoy playing soccer more now. When I was younger the idea of tackling and getting tackle had more appeal. Now I'm old and I'm just going to get hurt. So if you're talking touch football versus soccer, soccer's just more fun for me. Probably because I've played football so much as a kid, that soccer's just more fun because there's always skills to work that I can get better at. For football I'm not going to learn to run a better rout, juke somebody, or throw the ball farther, faster, or catch it any better than I can now without a lot of work in the gym.

If I'm watching two youth teams play, and I don't know anybody on either team. It's practically a tie. I guess I pick soccer because without any helmets, you can see the kids love of the game on their faces a little better.

So there you have it. By a hair my vote is for football with a roundball.

16. MCreek05

MCreek05 New Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a huge soccer and basketball and baseball and football fan. I am a USMNT fan and an IU Hoosiers fan and a Notre Dame fan and a Cardinals fan and a Colts fan and a Pacers fan and a Blues fan (and if St. Louis gets an MLS team). I am a passionate fan of all my teams almost to the point of obsession. I guess its because of my competitive nature that I like watching sports and rooting on my teams so much. Although soccer is the sport I play because its the one im good at, but that doesnt mean i dont go shoot hoops with my friends or throw a football around.

17. MCreek05

MCreek05 New Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont understand how you can live in Green Bay and say that, Packers fans are some of the most passionate football fans there are. Football fans are just as passionate as fans of any other sport. Just because football fans dont shoot flares at players from opposing teams doesnt make them sterile. It means there not retarded and actually want to watch the game. If your going to post something at least have something partially intelligent to say.

18. rosskey711

rosskey711 New Member

May 4, 2006
    well to the creator of this thread if you're going to say football and you mean american football put american football lol. I thought you meant what do you prefer to call it. I like calling it football because that's what is, but to the normal american i have to use the word "soccer"

19. shinzui

shinzui New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Gulf Shores
    If you could combine European club soccer with the league structure of American professional leagues you would have perfection. Europeans gasp in terror at the word franchise. But, the American model of sports franchising creates a superior marketing product, although the sporting products are about equal. Give the Premiership 32 teams including Celtic, Rangers, a franchise in Dublin, and the more financially successful League Championship clubs, have the league season culminate in playoffs ending with the FA Cup and there would be no problem with soccer at all. Soccer isn't boring, but the Premiership season is boring, and the same story happens in most of the leagues in Europe.

20. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Franchises would kill the magic of the game, kill it.

Wigan would NEVER be awarded a franchise, yet they were the best story of the season. Blackburn, one of the homes of the premiership title, would never have been awarded a franchise. You could also argue Bolton wouldn't.

Franchises are so big city companies keep the money in big cities. Green Bay is an exception in US sports because it's been there for so long. Would they get a team today? No chance.

It becomes far to corporate and kills the romance. While soccer has become very corporate, it still has some pureness left, the small town team.

21. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Have you considered that we're not interested in marketing, and that we don't think of our league as a 'product'?

And what happens to the rest of the teams? Your idea would destroy a vibrant league system and replace it with a soulless marketing product.

By the way, you say 'American professional leagues', when you really mean the NFL. Other American leagues like MLB and NHL are nowhere near as successful or well run.

22. shinzui

shinzui New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Gulf Shores
    Even the NHL is better run than any FA in Europe. NHL owners fought for over a year to guarantee a competitive system for all of its clubs. While all over Europe fans and clubs just assume that there will never be true competition.

23. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    there are nearly 700 clubs registered under the English FA. There are 100 professional clubs in England. Under your proposed system the vast majority of them would cease to exist. Now maybe if my club was shut down, or just excluded from the premiership forever, so that Portsmouth could have more chance of winning the premiership, then it'd be great for TV. For some strange reason that doesn't fill me with enthusiasm though.

24. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Is this the same NHL that shut down for an entire season? The same NHL with crumbling TV ratings, many teams in financial difficulties, and a dreadful standard of play due to too many teams?

25. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL, you've GOT to be kidding about baseball, right? You know the New York Yankees are one of the top 3 richest sports franchises in the world, right? Of course the NFL is more popular than MLB, but "nowhere near as successful"? Um...no.

Anyway, soccer is my #1 passion. It always has been, and it always will be...especially considering that I played for 10 years. But that doesn't mean that I don't like the NFL either. I think pro football is pretty awesome and exciting. I mean, during the MLS season NFL takes a back seat. But once MLS season ends, my eyes are glued right to the tv for NFL playoffs.

Just because you're a passionate soccer fan, doesn't mean that you aren't allowed to like other sports. It just seems like sometimes there's this unwritten rule that your allegiance must be to soccer and nothing else. That's kinda lame :rolleyes: