Which Defender do we trade and what do we get for him?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by drace768, Mar 18, 2005.

1. UChicagoSoccer

UChicagoSoccer New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Chicago
    DC United's probably going to have to trade Kovalenko due to its surplus of midfielders and is searching for a defender... What do you guys think? Win win I'd say... unless I'm missing something. :rolleyes:

2. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    The league will gift us Quaranta. DC, unlike Dallas, does not know how to develop gifted young Americans.

There is no way in hell Dema Kovastinko is coming to Dallas. Chemistry does matter.

4. br13

br13 New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    This is a bit off topic, but I just ran across a really good post by Knave on the DC boards where he linked and discussed this article about Nat Borchers coming out of nowhere to earn caps with the national team. After reading the article, this jumped out at me:
    Interesting. Understand, I'm not trying to criticize the Burn management at the time for this choice...but this kid is a SHINING example of how US talent can and is being developed because of MLS - and our reserve system is only going to increase the pace, quantity and quality of that development.

AND...getting back on topic...this is why I am sitting firmly in the keep Yi, trade Jolley camp - Jolley is a known entity, he is what he is, a solid MLS defender. Valuable, yes. But we can see his ceiling. Maybe (disclosure: I haven't seen him play as some of you have) Yi still has room (ala Borchers) to work hard and improve that mental side of the game and through that, his potential is much higher. Anyway, that was just a stretch to get back to the thread topic...but I thought this was a really good article.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would that have been when Jeffries was in charge? Buzz might remember him but it sounds like he wasn't there long. I do remember our defense being horrible that year so it is easy to see why he didn't get a look :rolleyes:

6. ghsdpu

ghsdpu New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Dorchester, MA
    The Revs have very little need for Scott Garlick. They're happy with Matt Reis and Doug Warren as his backup.

They don't even really have much of a need for Arturo Alvarez, although I'd have to sit and think about a Jolley and Alvarez for Cancela deal. Probably wouldn't do it, though.

I wouldn't trade you Dempsey for Vanney, let alone for Jolley and filler.

7. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if the date is right, Yes Jeffries.

I don't rememeber him, but if he was here for two days he could easily have come in and have me miss him.

just to add context, at that time they had Bonseu and Suarez doing the switch thing... DJ was getting the call in goal...
    Shavar Thomas they had just taken in the first round... Lee Morrison had just been traded to KC and the team had not-renewed his contract. Steve Morrow was leading the back line... Salyer was still knida new...

8. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salyer was still in Germany. Carl Bussey was still occupying that roster spot in the spring of '03, right?

Our defenders at that point (guess): Broome, Gbandi, Morrow, Suarez, Behnke, Bonseu, Bussey...................

9. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salyer was there already, he went to Chile with the team. His rights were up in the air as he couldn't be drafted and had to come in a weighted lottery like Yi.

Bussey was also still there but was really both a mid and a defender.

Thomas had been drafted already too.

10. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly, I should spend more time reading the 3rddegree archives and less time bellyaching over depth at the forward position and left midfield............

:)

11. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting about Ring - and that makes sense. And with what Metro is missing at the back (they have some talent, but not a world of it), that is a possibility.

I agree that the two defenders most likely to be bait are Jolley and Yi - Goodson, Moor and to a lesser degree Talley make those two central defenders marketable.

The more tea leaves I read, the more I think that we're trying to work a deal for a No. 2 forward for some other team - not their best forward, but their No. 2 guy.

Who is the No. 2 guy in New England? Could it be that because of salary cap space, they want to keep Noonan?

Who is the No. 2 guy in San Jose? (Remember, they have DeRosario, Ching and Alejandro Moreno).

Who is the No. 2 guy in LA?

Oh well.

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Carroll, Eskandarian, Namoff, Gros, Adu

Maybe being in Germany caused you to miss the news: Hudson was fired a year ago. Nowak knows how to develop youth. Half the DCU starters are developing american youth.

I don't think you'll be able to get Quaranta either. Although he's not starting, Nowak seems to like him a lot and, like Johnson, he's only 20. You'd need more than Jolley to get him- and Jolley doesn't fit well as was said above. Considering that Moreno isn't young and Freddy will be gone to Europe in a couple of year, Quaranta and Eskandarian look like the long term forwards.

How about Quintanilla?

13. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quintanilla?

No thanks. I'd take both Nunez and Alavarez before the older, shorter and slower Quintanilla.

I'd guess the deal would be Yi for Quaranta. If one day your coach wakes up and realizes he may have the 2nd worst goalkeepers in the league we may feel charitable enough to throw in the rights to Henry Ring.

Quaranta isn't anyone's long term solution. As soon as he half-way 'makes it' in this league, he's off to Europe. He's got Euro-leverage. (exhibit A: his crazy high salary for a player of his age and production).

14. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA? Kirovski, Ngwenya, Discovery, Gordon. (Is there a '2nd' forward in a 3-6-1?)

San Jose: Ching, DeRosario, Moreno, Cerritos.
    I don't see getting Ching for DeRosario.

New England? They have two forwards that don't play well together: Twellman and Noonan, so you'd think moving one would be ideal. Except they have NO #3 forward. Zip. It's Dempsey, Brillant, or Cancela. All 'attacking' midfielder types.

15. br13

br13 New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    2d? Who do you have as worst? ...maybe Zuniga(sp?) in CDC?

Ding, ding, ding, ding...we may just have a winner. I believe I read yesterday rumors on the Gals boards that Kiro was on the market. But he's got to be REALLY expensive.

16. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Quintanilla......are you smoking crack? I am getting tired of fans from other teams trying to give us their rejects. You are dealing with FC Dallas and not the Dallas Burn. The tables have turned. Instead of getting fingered by the league, FC Dallas will do the fingering. Having a stadium changes everything.

17. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I only say 'may' because I've never seen Zuniga or Guznan play.

Gals just added 3 more internationals:

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20050322&content_id=24526&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Geez, how do they have the cap/roster/international space for this?

They must be shopping someone.

I'd be interested in Kirovski. He'd be an ideal 'base' guy in a 3 forward system. Big, but ball skills. His relative lack of speed negated by the other two forwards (hopefully). But, he only seemed to play really well AGAINST us last year (except for that glorious 50 yard chip of Henry Ring).

But I've got to wonder how/why a guy who came back to the league to expressly play for LA and LA only is going to feel about getting traded. And LA doesn't need defenders. Maybe a 3 way deal?

18. br13

br13 New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Oh yeah - this isn't a fantasy team, we actually have to make these "trades" make sense. :D

19. ghsdpu

ghsdpu New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Dorchester, MA
    Just stop. The Revs are not going to trade Twellman or Noonan for anything Dallas would be willing to give up.

20. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with you. I was just noting that the Revs don't have a 3rd forward. The may even be in worse shape at that spot than we are.

21. ghsdpu

ghsdpu New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Dorchester, MA
    They actually do, it's just that you haven't heard of him.

They're going to sign (...or have signed, can never tell with the Revs) Connally Edozien, a former Nigerian U-20 National Team player who spent a couple of seasons with Bastia in France. He was last seen playing indoor soccer in Cleveland. He's had a good camp, and the staff likes him. They've also got a kid named Khano Smith with them in Ecuador on trial. Smith's something of a regular for Bermuda's National Team.

22. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Quaranta is pressing for a starting job. Yi is buried on the bench. DCU is looking for a starter in central defense. Add it up and see why this won't happen.

23. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, Yi would be pressing for a starting job on your team. Quaranta would be pressing for a starting job on ours.

24. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though FCD has an owner, El Lay is still El Lay. MLS rules do not apply to them.

It is my beleif that Kirovsky will come to FCD. Jolley will be traded for picks, and he will open up some cap space. GE has stated that FCD has plenty of space, but it can always be traded.

There is always the possibility of a blockbuster trade. I would rather not speculate on that.

Cheers!
    Sir Drinxalot

FCDORF. I do, I will.