Which country will finish dead last in the overall standings?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Soccerfever, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah their goal difference is still okay, especially compared with some of the others.

I don't think Honduras will finish last because Switzerland look very poor and are not often good in these pressure games (see 2010) and will at the very least not beat Honduras by more than two goals. Cameroon v Brazil on the other hand? Could get fugly...

2. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    #227 Soccerfever, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    Well,turns out that my personal prediction of Algeria finishing dead last will not happen!They've been very impressive against South Korea and have their destiny in their own hands.That was a very good match and their coach has totally transformed this team....I'll admit it,I was off and never saw this coming!However,I'm sure I'm far from the only one and even many Algerians themselves NEVER saw this coming.Congrats to them!

Nordino repped this.
  3. Nordino

Nordino Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Haugesund, Norway
    Thank you for your kind words. People that has followed this team actually did see this coming. Algeria has been playing positive football for about two years now, ever since Halilhodzic took over, with a few exceptions like the opening match against Belgium. Even in the last AFCON Algeria played very good football, but was unfortunate to lose in matches they outplayed their opponents (I think it was 12-2 in shots in the loss vs Tunisia, and 20-4 in the 0-2 loss to Togo).

On one side I understand that people dont have the time or energy to watch all 32 teams carefully before judging them, but on another hand a lot of people and even "experts" with zero knowledge has been too blatant about nations they have no clue about (Im not saying you are one of them). How can one give their opinion on a four year old team? A team that has 16 of 23 new players in the squad? Its like expecting that Dortmund will be relegation canditates next season because they finished on the lower half of the table in 2009.

If this great World Cup has proven us one thing, it is that we should not take the "weakest" teams lightly. Costa Rica has made both Italy, Uruguay and England cry. Iran was close to beating Argentina. Australia had both Chile and Holland shaking. And so on.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Spain/Cameroon/England/Honduras

5. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  6. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Cameroon.
    They will lose to Brazil by more goals than Spain (could) lose to Australia, and Australia wont lose by enough to catch them.
    I think Iran will draw or beat Bosnia, but only by a single goal, two at the most.
    England could be well beaten (CR on a high England on a low) but not by enough to catch Cameroon's GD.
    Switzerland could fire against Honduras but not by enough.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Teams with zero points after 2 games:
    Cameroon
    Spain
    Australia
    England
    Honduras
    Bosnia

Last place will be decided between them. As it stands however Cameroon, Australia and Honduras must be frontrunners.

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    But it would have been so fun if it were Spain!:) You feel bad if it turns out that Australia finishes last, but Spain? No one would feel bad making fun of them! Given their talent and pedigree, it really would have been some feat for them to end up literally last.

Christina99 and Unak78 repped this.
  9. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Currently it stands:

Australia 0 points -6 GD
    Cameroon 0 points -5 GD
    Honduras 0 points -4 GD
    Bosnia 0 points -2 GD - 1:3
    England 0 points -2 GD - 2:4

Everyone else has a point, and with Australia's 0 point finish, the teams I listed are the only teams in contention. Cameroon is probably the favorite to win this dubious award, given the fact that they are lining up against Brazil and will probably lose. Any loss, apart from one in which they score 3 goals themselves, will see them drop below Australia.

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Well, I am rooting for Brazil to whip Cameroon silly! Sorry, but they were the worse team and deserve to finish last.

11. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Honduras the only other real chance, but I can't see Switzerland putting on that good a performance, or Honduras that bad, they could still drop behind Australia though with a 2 goal loss.

Cameroon have been by far the worst team so would deserve it.

12. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Australia taking early State 3 reigns on being worst of the 2014 WC. 9 goals allowed over three matches!!

13. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the Honduras-Switzerland game will be in Manaus. Give the climate edge to Honduras. However, Switzerland will be desperate and need to make up GD to Ecuador.

Unak78 and zahzah repped this.
  14. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Switzerland simply need to win. France second string will be rested and will have something to prove. Switzerland is in a better situation and i have no ideea why some are saying otherwise. They both play against teams whose places are fixed but France is better

15. svelten

svelten Member

N/A
    Jun 22, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Cameroon 0 points -8 GD
    Australia 0 points -6 GD
    Honduras 0 points -4 GD
    Bosnia 0 points -2 GD - 1:3
    England 0 points -2 GD - 2:4

Your final answer is Cameroon. Honduras isn't losing to the Swiss by a 5 goal differential (no one at this WC would lose to the Swiss by 5 goals) and the likes of Costa Rica and Iran, as well as they've played, aren't pumping 6-7 goals by Bosnia and England. The only question is who finishes second last, but I'm favouring Australia for that dubious title. Honduras is usually pretty tight.

16. jogger

jogger Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Even if these teams concedes 10 goals in their next match, they are not finishing last. One is already sure to make it to the round of 16, the other has already earned one point.

17. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Not so fast. Against a demoralized bosnia that gassed out in the 65th minute mark against Nigeria. Oh, I like our chances for putting 6 goals past them. These minnows have been all bark and no bite, gonna put 'em in their place.

18. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Man, Iranian fans talk alot of shizzz....

NMMatt repped this.
  19. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm backing you guys to draw or beat them, but by 1 goal, 2 at the absolute max.

20. svelten

svelten Member

N/A
    Jun 22, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    You misunderstood me, Costa Rica and Iran are facing England and Bosnia respectively. England and Bosnia are the ones theoretically at risk of being the last place, but the aforementioned two teams will have to seriously light them up for that to happen.

21. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I actually spit out my drink reading this. Six goals?!?! Has Iran even taken six shots in the tournament?

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  22. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gonna be Cameroon. England and Bosnia are not going to lose by wide margins, if they lose at all. Honduras will at the very least keep things close v Switzerland and probably have an excellent opportunity to get some points in the heat.

23. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I am not sure Iran will put ANY goals past Bosnia.

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    No one can be "sure". My prediction, though, is that we beat them 1:0. Which would be a very uncharacteristic result between Iran and Bosnia. Our previous encounters, all friendlies, have produced the following results:

Iran 3 Bosnia 2 (2009 friendly in Bosnia)
    Iran 5 Bosnia 2 (2006 friendly in Iran)
    Iran 2 Bosnia 1 (2005 friendly in Iran)
    Iran 4 Bosnia 0 (2001 friendly in Iran)
    Iran 2 Bosnia 2 (2001 friendly in Bosnia).

Incidentally, if my predictions pan out, the only confederation that won't have a team go pointless will be CONMEBOL. Otherwise, joining Cameroon (CAF) and Australia (AFC) as teams that finish the tournament pointless will be Honduras (Concacaf) and Bosnia (UEFA).

25. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    And you would be absolutely correct if this was our 1st or 2nd game. It's not. It's the last game. Plan was always to get 2 draws and then crush Bosnia. Failed to secure the 2nd draw but it's irrelevant now in any case. CQ has 2 gears, defensive and offensive. Defensive play is not on the cards for the last match. Need to win by ATLEAST 2 goals to avoid the possibility of drawing lots with Nigeria, and Bosnians have only their pride to fight for. It'll be an open and entertaining game to watch.