Which country will finish dead last in the overall standings?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Soccerfever, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    So which country do you feel will finish at the bottom of the barrel when it's all said and done?Cameroon?Costa Rica?Honduras?Greece?....

My pick is Algeria...What's yours?

Discuss...

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Australia. Algeria's group is too weak.

3. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    I agree that Australia's group is a very difficult one.While it is difficult to see them get a victory over Spain and/or the Netherlands,their best chance at getting 3 points is against Chile,although it is far from guaranteed...

Yes,Algeria's group is weak,but the group is made weak by Algeria themselves.The other 3 teams are head and shoulders above them in pretty much every department and all 3 other teams will probably see their match against Algeria as the one where they must get the 3 points...Russia and Belgium should/will steamroll past them while South Korea will probably win by a shorter margin of about 2 goals...

4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    For all their weaknesses Algeria is a pretty sturdy side. A much poorer Algeria only let in 2 goals in 3 games vs England, USA and Slovenia. Algeria isn't North Korea, while Russia, Belgium and South Korea are not Portugal, Brasil and Cote d'Ivoire.

They may not be a strong team, but North African sides are defensively sturdy. They have never conceded lots of goals at the World Cup. Why should they start now?

Not to mention that Russia is barely above them in FIFA rankings, while South Korea is way below them. You're obviously living in some alternate reality, where Algeria are pushovers.

5. mr cricket

mr cricket Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia or Costa Rica.

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The most like team to go pointless is Australia, because of their group which is the toughest in this World Cup. That doesn't mean Australia is going to lose all its 3 games, but it does mean that the odds are stacked against. Not just Spain and Holland, but Chile as well, who are clearly stronger than Australia. What's more, Australia aren't in the best of shapes right now, although they have started to do better under their new coach after a couple of wins including against Costa Rica.

Algeria aren't that good by any means, but they actually have a decent chance to get a result against South Korea. Perhaps even Russia. South Korea is not the kind of team to easily beat Algeria. Indeed, the chance that this match will not have a winner is very high and that is the most likely result I see between South Korea and Algeria. That might turn to be their only point, but I think Algeria have a much better chance of getting a point in their group than Australia has in its group. That's is true even though head to head, I would prefer Australia over Algeria, albeit by the smallest margin.

The weakest team on paper in this World Cup is Honduras. They have a easy group, however, and if they manage a draw against Ecuador, they can avoid going pointless too. But while Switzerland is the weakest seeded team, the Swiss are still good enough to dispose of Honduras. And France is clearly capable of beating any one, although the good news for Honduras is that France is also capable of losing to any one. Still, the second most likely team to go pointless in my mind is Honduras. And fellow Concacaf side, Costa Rica, are the third most likely, especially since Costa Rica's group has 3 teams who are each clearly better than them. And since Costa Rica aren't all that they are turned out to be by Concacaf fans.

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Actually, looking at the issue more closely, I think the most likely candidates to finish last are Costa Rica and Australia in that order. Then it would be Honduras. In fact, here is my list of teams that will finish last in each group, although in case of Iran's group (Group F) I am obviously biased and trying to see things in the light most favorable to our team.

Last Place:

Group A: Cameroon(unlike Wc2010, probably not pointless though)
    Group B: Australia (probably 0 points, but perhaps 1 point)
    Group C: Greece (maybe even pointless, but in this group anything can happen)
    Group D: Costa Rica (the more I think of it, the more it seems they are destined to go pointless)
    Group E: Honduras (if they get a point, it would be against Ecuador)
    Group F: Nigeria (not the conventional pick, but I root for Iran and am picking Nigeria to finish with 1 point)
    Group G: Tough to choose. I am going to pass for now, as none are the weakest in this World Cup.
    Group H: Algeria (but will probably earn a point or 2)

8. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    FIFA rankings are not the best source to compare which team is better than the other.Both South Korea and Russia are superior to them...

Also,keep in mind that at this year's African Nations Cup,Algeria finished bottom of their group with a single point from a match against the Ivory Coast on the last matchday of the group stages(when CIV was already through!) in a group that also included Togo,Ivory Coast and Tunisia scoring only 2 goals conceding 5.....Now their World Cup group is more difficult than the one mentionned previously...

With that said,we will find out this June...

9. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    nigeria or usa.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  10. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    You are endearingly relentless. :D

jared9999 repped this.
  11. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    what? if Iran beats nigeria, which is a hybrid of hope and expectation, then bosnia can also beat nigeria. argentina will definitely beat nigeria. it would be a rather logical outcome.

12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Given FIFA rankings traditionally overrate UEFA teams and underrate CAF teams (and AFC teams for that matter) I see no basis to claim they are superior.

13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Sure it is... ;)

14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I wouldn`t bet on that one.
    Last WC, Switzerland was way on top of them and in the last game of group phase, when it all depended on them achieving a win against Honduras, they simply crashed out against them achieving a scoreless draw, which meant them the elimination from the WC. Wouldn`t be strange to see Honduras beating Switzerland, this time, as weather conditions in Manaus (where their game will be played), will favour the honduran team (whom at Honduras play at similar weather conditions as of Manaus, with high temperatures and high humidity) more than anyone else, with maybe the exception of Ecuador, whom unfortunately will crash against them, where they will not get the weather help, in their respective match. In any case, I don`t see them getting the same results against Ecuador (probably Ecuador will feast on them) in Curitiba, or against France in Porto Alegre. It may happen if the swiss team, doesn`t get well prepared to the weather conditions where they will play, that they end as last in their group (they play in 3 of the hottest venues of this WC, Ecuador in Brasilia, France in Salvador and Honduras in Manaus), only based on the weather issue, maybe their biggest shot is against France, whom will suffer equally as them over this issue in Salvador, but at least France plays its other games in Porto Alegre (Honduras) and Río de Janeiro(Ecuador).
    Despite being among the weakest groups of this WC, anything can happen, in it.
    ;)

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You are right: Honduras might have a chance against the Swiss. But I wouldn't bet on Honduras in that game.

16. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Australia or Iran

17. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    1. Australia
    2. Costa Rica

I'm pretty sure these 2 will get 0 points and could have pretty ugly point spreads.

Honduras has such a cake group they may get 1-3 points.

Algeria will likely get 1-3 points as well. Russia and Korea are not that superior to them.

18. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    And can you elaborate just a little bit?Any arguments to prove your point?

Japan are the current Asian Champions,advanced at the last World Cup in 2010,beating both Denmark and Cameroon and lost to the netherlands by the lowest of margins.Japan's most recent performance on the world stage was at the Confeds Cup last June and the got hammered by Brazil in the first match but gave a good performance against Mexico and Italy despite losing those 2 matches aswell...Japan may not advance but I would be surprised if they finish worse than Cameroon and Algeria for example...

19. Arash1995

Arash1995 Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Please ignore him. His post history is full of hatred for Japan.

20. Safarigirl

Safarigirl Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Australia and Costa Rica.

For anyone to think Nigeria will finish last in their group is laughable at best. Well, it's good to dream

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    While Nigeria are a fine team, and I have nothing but respect for them, your comment makes me think that you must have been all laughter in 2010, or otherwise, might imagine it was all a dream? After all, in the last World Cup, Nigeria finished behind Argentina (which you have in this group again), South Korea (who qualified to this World Cup behind Iran from the same group), and Greece (who qualified to this World Cup behind Bosnia from the same group).

22. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wish all my dreams had about a %30-%35 chance of coming true. Picking second place for this group(first is already reserved) is hard to say the least.

23. Safarigirl

Safarigirl Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why is first reserved? Are the Argentines unbeatable? They haven't won the CONMEBOL or any trophy of note in a while, so someone must have beaten them at some point

24. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    unbeatable, of course not, but we are talking the group stage at the WC, not Copa or previous WC tournaments.

Truth is Argentina is a few notches above every team in this group, combined with it being close to home, equals 95% chance IMO first is locked up. I think there are 3 things that are certain for the knockout stage this WC.

1.Brazil winning their group.
    2.Argentina winning their group.
    3.Australia being eliminated.

25. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Well,Nigeria could finish last in their group(although I believe it's unlikely) and still not finish as the very last team of all the participants.Nigeria is unlikely to finish with a goal differential of -6 or something and the team that finishes as the worse one usually ends up with that kind of GD.It's true that a hammering is likely to be inflicted by Argentina but history shows that when these two sides meet(at the World Cup at least),only one goal separates the two sides...So I can't see it happening either...