Which combination of pure forwards do you prefer in a 4-3-3?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Dundalk24, Oct 3, 2014.

?

Which combinations of pure forwards do you prefer in a 4-3-3? (Can vote for more than 1)

Poll closed Apr 21, 2015.
  1. Wambach-Morgan-Leroux

12.5%
  2. Wambach-Morgan-Press

37.5%
  3. Wambach-Morgan-ARod

6.3%
  4. Wambach-Leroux-Press

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Wambach-Leroux-ARod

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Wambach-Press-ARod

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Morgan-Leroux-Press

62.5%
  8. Morgan-Leroux-ARod

12.5%
  9. Morgan-Press-ARod

18.8%
  10. Leroux-Press-ARod

6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Of the five forwards on the current roster which combos do you like best? Based either on what you've seen or what you think might work the best. You can vote for more than one. I'd say vote for around 2 or 3 but I can't stop you from voting for more. Votes are public. I know Rapinoe and some mids could also be brought up but I'm trying to keep this a bit straightforward.

Each forward appears six times among the 10 different possible combinations. So I think I've got them all covered... I hope.

2. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes, the math says that the way one can select three of five if order do not matter is (5 x 4 x 3)/(1 x 2 x 3) = 60/6 =10
    So you should have got all combinations (of those five)

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Of course I want to be the monkey in the wrench because my favorite combination up front is Rapinoe-Morgan-Press. While Rapinoe isnt a pure forward, in this system the only places u can fit her is left forward or CAM. So I guess since there r no outside midfielders, they become pure forwards by default.

Of the front four Ellis has tried i like
    Rapinoe-Morgan-Press
    ..........Wambach

&

Leroux-Morgan-Press
    ---------Rapinoe

the best. I am still hoping to see

Rapinoe-Morgan-Press
    ............Brian

Dundalk24 repped this.
  4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Where's the none of the above option?

South American repped this.
  5. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I know this is rhetorical but just for clarification, there were two main reasons:

1. I wanted a poll to gauge which combination of forwards people would prefer over others rather than a poll to measure people's approval or disapproval of the formation choice itself. It's about preferences given these options not anyone's ideal. A measure of potential chemistry and suitability among the different strikers playing together.

2. If I had included Pinoe, O'Reilly, Heath, and Holiday this poll would be more than a bit unwieldy and cumbersome. Even just adding Rapinoe would have taken the number of poll options from 10 to 20. If I added one Mid then someone would be questioning why I didn't add this, that, or the other. If the Mexico match was any indication the formation will have 3 forwards in name only against the better teams anyway. Maybe I should have worded it..."if three forwards are put on the field simultaneously which combination do you like best, irrespective of formation?"...but then someone will chime in, "well it does really depend on the formation you know."

As to kernelthai re: Rapinoe. I don't embrace the 4-3-3 formation necessarily and prefer her as an AM that gets many touches near the box on the attack. I don't see why she can't do that with two OR three forwards on the field with her. Having other players at the holding and 10 spots regardless of a two or three striker formation. She'll get sucked back into midfield when the US plays against opponents that can maintain possession no matter how high she's slotted.

6. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Which is why I mentioned a single "none of the above."

7. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    #7 Dundalk24, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Not because I overlooked it. But because I didn't want there to be one. I would rather people choose not to participate in the poll than have that option. It doesn't mean people can't comment in the thread to include their caveats, ideal lineups, formations, and discuss other players. I was tempted to add Rapinoe but in the end I was more interested in simplicity and examining perceptions about chemistry between the five strikers. I knew the lack of mids would probably be the reason most would vote "none of the above" rather than absolutely disliking all the listed striker combos. But inserting mids into the discussion doesn't address the question even if they are relevant to the strategy Ellis eventually chooses. The motivation that spurred this poll was the ongoing debate about playing time and chemistry among the forwards, both tried and untried. Hey if that makes some less interested in answering that's OK. But I purposefully framed the question in a very specific way. It would be like me asking people which color do you like best between red, yellow, and green and then someone wanting a "none of the above" answer because there is no blue. The reason for choosing none of the above wouldn't be relevant to the question.

8. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Do you not see the contradiction in that?

9. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    No. Conversations in threads frequently expand well beyond the confines of the poll. That's not a bad thing. This was made to spark debate not just obtain a poll sample of opinions.

10. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Then why limit the poll to a sample of options?

11. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    You can frame a poll to ask a specific question without putting a straight jacket on the comments below it. I don't see why this is an issue.

12. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I don't see why commenting in the thread about a none of the above option is an issue, especially when the creator of the poll said:

;)

13. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Well of course. I'm just addressing the complaint not trying to muzzle your right to make it! :thumbsup:

14. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Great! Glad we got that sorted. :cool:

15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    why do have 6 choices on Wambach on the far left, but zero choice on her in the middle when she is a center forward? And why only one choice of Leroux on the far left when that's been her spot for the last year or so? and why no choices for Morgan on the right, which is where she's been really good at?

16. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    The order the players are listed is random. It wasn't meant to designate their positioning on the field. Making a poll with the different striker combinations plus all the possible playing position options would have been a nightmare.

17. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol some of the comments so far.

My preferred front 3, at this point in time & with what I am hoping to see at the WWCQ, is:

Rapinoe | Rodriguez | Morgan

Press would be an acceptable alternative for Rodriguez but Christen is not in the same kind of form that Amy is. Then again, after several weeks without a game, the concept of "form" kind of goes out the window.

I picked the following combination and have listed where I would like them to be.

Morgan | Rodriguez | Press

I wonder if the 7 people who voted for the Morgan / Leroux / Press combo would have still voted for that option if it had been listed as Press - Morgan - Leroux.

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I picked that choice since it was finally made clear by the OP that you could set them up any way you like/ It should be

Leroux(left-fwd)) Press(center-fwd) Morgan(right-fwd)

If Ellis insists on using 3 fwds in this day and age, then the outside fwds need to have some 'winger' abilities to come quickly down the flanks and cross kicked it accurately to the middle. That's why the 3 center-fwd combination choice of Wambach-Press-A-Rod would be a disaster! Thankly nobody picked that one(so far!) Perhaps the OP was just testing us on that one?

19. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding of the 4 3 3, especially if your playing with two holding midfielders and a single 10 (like the US has in the last few matches with Rapinoe at 10) is that your three front runners and the 10 have to very, very mobile and very interchangeable. The most successful attacks so far has had the shape of those 4 to be in a box, sometimes with one of the wingers tucking underneath the 10 making the front 3 look like an Allen Wrench on the field, pivoting around the 10 constantly.

Wambach is anything but mobile, and is interchangeable to the degree that she can take 3 steps to the left, then 3 steps to the right. She may understand the game & and understand the importance of movement, but the day has long passed that she can keep up with it.

Press to me is a very skilled player and capable of significant mobility, but I've not seen a willingness from her to be interchangeable. She has a tendency to stick to where she gets put in the formation, even if there's free space for her to roam into.

Leroux is about as vertical a player as it gets, relying on determination, speed, and brute strength to take the easiest route from point A to point B. This formation is simply not for her.

Rodriguez was a similar player to Press in terms of their movement on the field, but the time at KC has done her very good. Amy's become a much more laterally oriented player and right now I think she's the better option, even though I believe Press is a more technical player and a better finisher. I think if Wambach wasn't in such bad shape, I'd be curious to see how the Rodriguez/Wambach combo would have evolved with what Amy's learned in her time at KC.

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    When I voted I assumed it would be

Leroux-Morgan-Press

as that is the way they have been playing it

21. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not pointing out any specific combination, I was just curious about the how the order he listed them in affected how people voted. I'm a behavioral designer, so professional curiosity.

22. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Ellis has said multiple times, the 4-3-3 is just one formation to work out of. And that during a game, it can morph into whatever is needed. For me, I'd prefer a team have to stop Press, Leroux, and Morgan for 90 minutes. With the three occupying each position.

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well probably the best situation is throw the speed at them, build a lead and then drop back into a 4-2-3-1. Crowd the midfield, dont give up the counter and try and counter urself as the other teams have to commit numbers to the attack.

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here might be a crazy formation you might of not seen before, a 2-3-2-1-2 courtesy of Bayern Munich's last game

gk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.......................................,,,,,,,,...,,,,,Korpola

cb's?.....................................................Abbe.......................Manieri

fb's/Hmids?.............Shadetbeck..........................Berge.....................Lewandowski

mids.............................................Behringer......................Leupolz

AM......................................................................Iwabuchi

fwds.............................................Stengel..........................Miedema

25. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #25 hotjam2, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    well it depends on what your opponent plays too, if a team is going to play a high back line, then you need the fast wide fwds(like Leroux & Morgan) ready on the flanks to best the off sides trap. but if a defending team is going to park the bus in front of their penalty box, then naturally the 3 fwds wouldn't have anything to do but then to inter change and find what ever little space is available. then you could have your outside mids or even fb's come up the flanks.
    This is then what Wambach loves best; playing against mediocre teams(like our up coming concacaf opponents) so she can stay around the middle and use the one thing thanks to her height advantage, she's good at; use her headers to score.
    She also has sometimes a knack to be in the right place, at the right time. But that comes from playing with some of her NT team mates, over a hundred of games together; they know where she's at, and vice versa, she knows what her team mates going to do. This is why it's so hard for some of the other CF's who are now better(since their in their prime) like Hagen & Press to get playing time(especially in competitive games where only 3 subs are allowed), or to get the start over Wambach. The chemistry isn't there, or perhaps Wambach's buds at mid, just wouldn't let the chemistry happen? As the last time I saw Hagen play with the NT, nobody bothered passing to her