Which city is likely to come into the A-League next?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by DoyleG, Sep 23, 2002.

1. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Make your pic and leave comments.

2. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ottawa has the best chance, if they improve their stadium, and the owner desires to join the A-league.

3. Papa Bouba Diop

Papa Bouba Diop New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    i say Edmonton, they have proved to everyone they can support soccer (mens and womens international games), in fact they have the only stadium in Canada that can compete with other international stadiums in the world.
    But the problem is i dont see an a-league team playing in a 60k stadium, do they have a smaller stadium?
    One thing i would like to see is a canadian team in the MLS, Montreal had the opportunity a few years ago but stupid Saputo wanted nothing to do with the proposed plan.

4. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Saputo didn't want to lose money and not have control over the team he always considered his baby? Say it ain't so...

And besides, no MLS stadium here.

5. Papa Bouba Diop

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    Mcgill stadium with a new pitch and expansion of 4,000 seats to bring capacity to 24,000 seats was part of the plan.
    Saputo also didnt like the idea of not being able to choose the players he wanted due to the MLS rules on drafting players.

6. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Whos plan? Tell us all about it.

People can talk all they want, but who had the money to replace the astroturf? With college sports and the CFL (and this imaginary MLS team) all playing on the same pitch, wouldn't there be some kind of wear on the pitch? Who'd pay for the upkeep?

7. Papa Bouba Diop

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    i said Saputo wanted nothing to do with the plan, so nothing happened. this was when the MLS was in the development stages like 8 years ago.
    also no one was using the stadium at the time exept for Mcgill's football team and some other amateur teams, the al's were still at the big O.

8. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The chances of an MLS team in Montreal are the same as any other Canadian city.

ZERO.

9. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

So who's plan was it? It obviously wasn't the Montreal Impacts plan, I doubt it was the MLS's plan. I'm sure it wasn't McGills plan.

So I assume it wasn't really a plan but just plain old talk.

Back in the development stages of the MLS, the MLS invited all APSL teams to join their league, knowing fully that none of the teams in the APSL had a stadium to meet MLS criteria. It was an empty gesture.

10. Papa Bouba Diop

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    I probably was just plain talk, i don't remember all the details, i read about it in the Gazette, if i find something more detailed i will post it for you.

11. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Papa Bouba Diop, check out the Ultras Montréal site and forum: www.ultrasmontreal.com (I also sent a PM).

12. Papa Bouba Diop

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto

thanks Daniel
    i went to my first Impact game in two years a few weeks ago againt Rochester and noticed this tiny but noisy group of supporters, i found that pretty dawm cool, would be even greater if we had 100 people in there. are you with these guys? how often do you follow the impact?

13. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We were that bunch (were you on the other side?). We'll get to 100 in a couple of years, when we really pick up steam, but the group at that last game was really good (i'm assuming it was the playoff game 0-0). We're gonna build on that and evolve through the winter for next season.

We have a good relation with the club and the Ultras were at every home game bar one (Calgary). I was at every home game except the first playoff game (Charlotte), in Québec against Pittsburgh and in Toronto on August 18th thanks to Saputo's donated train tickets.

Drop a message on our forum (english or french) and look for announcements.

PS: Gallery of the Rochester game (I'm the guy with big hair and makeup): http://community.webshots.com/user/pusman83

14. Papa Bouba Diop

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    Hmm, Saputo seems like a nice guy, i like the pics, your girlfreind is pretty hot. Hey you look like Mauro Biello by the way.

what i like about this team is the access the fans have to them, like in 92? (when the league was good, only like 6 teams) they had an autograph session with my team, that was fun.

One thing i miss is the indoor team we had a few years back, it was so cool at the molson centre, unfortunately we never got the big crowds, that team should have stuck around longer.

15. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The indoor team lost enormous amounts of money and went through different ownership groups, eventually dropping out of the 1999 outdoor season, which sank the team 'till this year, gate and media-wise.

PS: Saputo is the club's greatest fan; my gf is indeed hot ;) and I've gotten the Biello remark before :p.

PPS: We also met the players in the dressing room after the first Rochester game (1-0).

16. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Whats so good about a league with only 6 teams?

Actually Montreal wasn't in the APSL in 1992. They joined with Vancouver and Toronto in 1993 and there were 7 teams that year, and the quality of the league is nowhere near the A-League today.

Still a good year though. Vancouver won the division, unfortunately the Impact were last place.
    Too much travel and they used the ridiculous NASL point scoring system of 6 points for a win and bonus points for up to three goals for a maximum of 9 points for a victory.

17. Papa Bouba Diop

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto