Which 32 teams do you think will qualify for Qatar 2022?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Ofori, May 12, 2020.

1. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    It would be nice to see Ghana again, but they will have a tough time, they are not likely to be seeded, although they are currently at #6 so if one of the top 5 seeds slips up in the next round (most likely Tunisia vs Zambia I would say) then Ghana may get that spot, but I dont see this current Ghana team beating any of the top 5 seeds not named Tunisia. You've got some new young talent comming through, but its still not close to the talented teams Ghana has had in the past IMO.

Ofori repped this.
  2. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I agree.

Unless its Mexico or the US who slip up I'd say its almost a 50 50.

You could also have a strong Asian team slip up and be in the playoffs as well, like happened with Australia last time.

Even New Zealand gave a decent account of themselves against a very strong Peru side last time.

BuddyAus and Ofori repped this.
  3. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Norway will have a tough time to qualify with the draw. They likely wont even be a second seed.

4. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Japan played one of the best games of the tournament last time against Belgium. I dont see how you could call them boring. Korea beat Germany, and Iran did OK too. AFC unfortunately doesn't really have enough depth to send quality teams in place of the teams you mentioned. It will be interesting to see if Qatar can produce at home after their Asian cup triumph.

5. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    How are you so certain? We don't even know the groups yet but Norway is a talented team on the rise right now

6. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I doubt Mexico slips up and USA I doubt they slip up too

7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yes we have a younger team but I have faith in my national team

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    and that was only after a penalty shootout so it could just as easily have been another Conmebol win.

BuddyAus repped this.
  9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I agree with you on this. The AFC system tends to get the best teams through each time. Last time it was even a good predictor of how the teams went. Group winners had a win and a draw, group runners up had 1 win each and the playoff winner got a point from a draw. I'm not quite sure why Africa can't come up with a better way. The current system, if they started a bit earlier, would still work until the top ten when they could have two groups of 5 for the final stage instead of knockout pairings. 3rd placed teams play off for the 5th spot. Too late for this tournament though, so lets hope they come up with something better next time, or even with 9 spots they risk having a top 5 side stay at home.

10. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    In fact Syria came really close to qualifying for Russia but ultimately missed out but do they have potential in Asia? Yes they do

But a team that surprises me but is never able to qualify is China, especially in Asia. China has possibly the biggest population in Asia and one of the most elite leagues in Asia, the Chinese Super League. They should be a perennial nation in Asia but for some reason they aren't which is shocking to me.

11. BuddyAus

BuddyAus New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    I appreciate you labelling Australia a “strong Asian team”!

I feel we’re going to struggle in this qualifying series; we’ll get through the current phase without any problems, but the next stage will be interesting, and even a playoff birth might be beyond us.

Unfortunately we don’t have much high-level talent in the 20-25 age bracket, and the second-tier Asian sides are improving.

Ofori repped this.
  12. BuddyAus

BuddyAus New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Japan has a solid generation of young players coming through, led by Kubo and Tomiyasu, so I expect they’ll be strong in WC 2022. Qatar will be more competitive than what a lot of people think, too - they’re well coached, and will obviously enjoy the benefit of being seeded and avoiding the big guns at the group stage.

One of my hopes for the 2022 tournament is for someone outside Europe and South America to break through and make the semis. Nigeria or Mexico look to have the best chance, given they both have quality young players who should be hitting their peak in two years time.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I would rather see the top 2 in each of the 10 groups advance and then have five groups of 4 in round 3 (with each group composed of two group-winners and 2 second-place teams).

Its a bit more difficult for CAF than AFC though because they have a lot of teams that are around the same quality. In AFC the gap is pretty significant between the top 4 and anyone that didn't make it the final qualifying round.

14. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Qatar being the hosts they will no doubt get a favorable draw considering how they even won the right to be hosts in the first place all be it under controversial means but I digress. Qatar in Asia have proven that they do have an all right team but I just see a South Africa 2010 type scenario with them as hosts and not even making it out of the group stage which us what happened to Bafana Bafana 10 years ago.

With Japan on the other hand, they made it to Round of 16 and lost to Belgium. I still remember that game and they had a 2-0 lead and let Belgium come back into the game to win it. Japan for some reason just can't get beyond the Round of 16 even though they have the talent to go further but 2022 who knows.

But with Mexico, they are cursed. They can't go beyond the Round of 16 for some reason but now this Mexico team coming up for 2022 may be as talented a Mexican team in recent memory so we'll see. Nigeria is another case of wait and see.

15. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I can agree with this way of qualifying but FIFA changed the format for us Africans so not a lot we can do

16. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I doubt it if anything Australia will probably qualify quite decisively like look at the gaps in talent between Australia and any other team in AFC right now. It isn't even close. I guarantee the Socceroos will qualify for Qatar.

17. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Yes we have strong Hope's for Nigeria in 2022, as we are assembling perhaps our strongest overall squad ever, especially in terms of depth. Should be peaking in 2022.

Ofori repped this.
  18. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Even though our countries are rivals, I was cheering for Nigeria especially since my country of Ghana didn't qualify for 2018...but Nigeria perhaps has its strongest team set up for 2022. 2018 they didn't make it out of the group even though all they had to do was beat Argentina or even draw with them and they would have gone to the Round of 16 to face France again considering 2014 they faced France in Round of 16. 2022 however, I really want to see what you guys do.

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #44 EvanJ, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    I don't want Iran to advance, but they're not in a horrible position. You have to look at more than just the standings. Each group has four teams with 5 games played and 3 remaining, and one team with 4 played and 4 remaining. Iran has a game in hand. Furthermore, they have three home games and go to Cambodia, who has 1 point, 1 goal, and 22 goals allowed. Iran's 14/4 = +3.5 goal differential per game in second in AFC to Australia, albeit that's because Iran won 14-0 hosting Cambodia. I wouldn't be surprised if Iran won all 4 games, which would give them 18 points and first place. Iraq (11 points) and Bahrain (9 points) would get 6 more if they lost at Iran and won their other two, so Iraq would have 17 and Bahrain would 15. Iraq and Bahrain already played twice, so them not playing each other again is bad for Iran, but Iran is still in an okay position. If Iran loses hosting Iraq and wins 3 games to finish with 15, they will finish with at least as many points as Bahrain. Bahrain could win hosting Hong Kong and Cambodia, but their +2 goal differential is 12 worse than Iran's, so Iran will win the goal differential tiebreaker if necessary. 15 points may or may not be enough to advance as a second place team. Group A has Syria and China likely to exceed 15, and Syria already has 15. In Group B, Kuwait and Jordan have 3 games left including at first place Australia. If Kuwait and Jordan both lose or draw at Australia and lose or draw at least one other game, second place will have fewer than 15. Kuwait and Jordan have 10 points from 5 games, but Kuwait's goal differential is 6 better, and Jordan's games are all away, so Kuwait should finish above Jordan. Kuwait can get to 16 by winning hosting Jordan and at last place Chinese Taipei. Iran is in Group C, so I'm up to Group D. Group D has the teams packed together, and Saudi Arabia has 8 points, 4 games played, 3 home games left, and a trip to the last place team just like Iran. The difference is that Iran is in third and Saudi Arabia is in second. I'm guessing they will win the group. If first place Uzbekistan loses at Saudi Arabia and wins hosting Singapore and at Yemen, they will have 15 points. Uzbekistan's +6 is 8 worse than Iran's, so if Uzbekistan gets two wins and a loss, they will probably have a worse goal differential than Iran. Group E has first place Qatar who can't play in the next round and second place Oman way ahead of third place Afghanistan. The points are 13, 12, 4, 3, and 1. Even if Oman loses hosting Qatar, they just need a win and a draw at India and Bangladesh to reach 16. As long as none of Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, or Myanmar win at Japan, the second place team from Group F will have fewer than 15 points. All three of them lost 2-0 or 3-0 hosting Japan. Group G has a crowd. United Arab Emirates are in fourth, but they have 4 games left including hosting the top three. If they win at Malaysia and Thailand, Malaysia will have 15 or fewer and a worse goal differential than Iran, and Thailand will have 14 or fewer. If United Arab Emirates wins three with a draw hosting first place Vietnam, United Arab Emirates will have 16. Vietnam could get to 16 with a draw at Malaysia and a win hosting Indonesia, who doesn't have a point. Group H has four teams with 8 or 9 points, so it's not worth trying to predict the points by the second place team. Given their three home games, I think Iran is more likely to win than to lose in all of their remaining games, and if they win all 4, they advance. I'm not saying they will win all 4, but they don't have to win any individual games that would be surprises.

FIFA doesn't let seedings be determined by anything other than the FIFA Rankings and OFC's criteria for the teams that start in the first round. AFC couldn't use the first group stage to determine seeding in the second group stage, and CAF can't rank the group winners to seed the final round.

If you're talking about now, why do you prefer winner-take-all groups at the end? It's nice to get many teams in the first group stage, but winner-take-all groups have too many meaningless games at the end. Whether a group has four, five, or six teams, I don't like if no second place teams advance. CAF has winner-take-all groups, and AFC doing that would be bad also IMO. What was worse than CAF's current format was when they ended with five winner-take-all groups of six. By the last two matchdays, at least two of the three games could be between two eliminated teams. It's like when fans aren't interested in watching games between two clubs who won't make the CL, EL, or get relegated.

20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Philippines is also pretty close too in that group with Syria and China

21. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    So, in short, Iran is fine as long as they don't blow their home game with Bahrain.

22. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    And I don't think they will but stranger things have happened but Iraq though is a surprise right now

23. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Updating my picks...more like changing them

My predictions for the 32 teams that will be in Qatar in 2 years time

Europe (UEFA) (13 teams)

1- France (defending champion)
    2- Croatia
    3- Germany
    4- Portugal
    5- England
    6- Spain
    7- Belgium
    8- Netherlands (return first time since 2014)
    9- Italy (return first time since 2014)
    10- Russia
    11- Ukraine (return first time since 2006)
    12- Sweden
    13- Poland

Big countries that miss out: Switzerland, Serbia, Denmark, etc.

Asia (AFC) (5 teams)

1- Qatar (hosts) (debutante)
    2- Japan
    3- South Korea
    4- Australia
    5- Syria (debutante)

Big names that miss out: Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc

Africa (CAF) (5 teams)

1- Nigeria
    2- Algeria (return first time since 2014)
    3- Egypt
    4- Senegal
    5- Ghana (return first time since 2014)

Big countries who miss out: Morocco, Tunisia, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, etc.

CONCACAF (North America) (4 teams)

1- USA (return first time since 2014)
    2- Costa Rica
    3- Mexico
    4- Jamaica (return first time since 1998; beat New Zealand in inter continental playoff to get to Qatar)

Countries that miss out: Panama, Honduras, Canada, etc.

CONMEBOL (5 teams)

1- Uruguay
    2- Brazil
    3- Colombia
    4- Argentina
    5- Venezuela (debutante; beat an Asian team in inter continental playoff but as for the team they beat...I predict Iraq who come close but lose to Venezuela in playoff)

Big countries that miss out: Chile, Ecuador, Peru, etc

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #49 HomietheClown, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    The only confederation I can comment on is South America because all the others seem unclear with draws and such.

I mean maybe I can say the obvious in the CONCACAF will get there but as we saw last cycle and the previous cycle the USA missed out on Russia and Mexico struggled a bit to get into Brasil.

I have said this a lot that I am not as high on Uruguay as others seem to be around here. Their best players are getting up their in age and now their Federation and managerial situation seems to be in a bit of disarray due to the economic fallout of the pandemic.
    They still have a chance to make it of course but they have struggled in previous cycles making it to 5th place playoff spots. I would not be surprised to see them do that again this cycle if they do qualify.

The Venezuela pick seems to be there based on their U20 World Cup Final guys from a few years back now maturing into good role players on the Senior squad.
    But there is still something missing from them.
    Chile is also old but has experienced players. Peru I don't think can catch lightening in a bottle back-to-back cycles. Although I will not underestimate them too much because I respect their manager immensely.
    Paraguay is one of those pesky teams that can beat anyone anywhere on any given day but can also look so anemic offensively and lost out there when the going gets tough.
    Add in a pandemic and a schedule with disruption and last minute changes and it is very difficult to figure things out over a couple year span.

If I had to choose though it would be:

Brasil
    Argentina
    Colombia
    Chile
    Uruguay- Possibly losing to the Asian playoff squad. Would be fun if it is Australia for nostalgia's sake.
    If it is Uzbekistan or Jordan or a team like that forgetabouit -Uruguay advances.

25. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Paraguay can be the 5th placed team but then how about Ecuador? You can't forget about them either