Which 32 teams do you think will qualify for Qatar 2022?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Ofori, May 12, 2020.

1. Itiofele

Itiofele Member

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Jan 1, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It was a disastrous match for Peru. One of the worst games I've seen with Gareca. Not a reflection of the level of the team. There was no punch. Many of the players lacked character. Poor match for many of them. They felt the pressure of being favorites (something I thought could happen to us with Paraguay; it did not happen then, but happened today). In my opinion, Gallese, Zambrano, Callens, and perhaps Advíncula could be saved (although this was because I never felt that Australia was going to score). Cueva did nothing. Trauco was disastrous, losing the ball. Same with Canchita.

For me, Gareca chose the wrong strategy: if Yotun was not going to play, he should have started Aquino and Flores instead of Canchita and Peña, and return to 4-2-3-1.

We were the favorites. We play this match 10 times and qualify 9 times. This was match 1 of 10. The match we . How is it possible that we had only one shot on goal? I can accept losing a match fighting. That was not the case.

What annoys me the most is hearing some stupid compatriots saying that it is better that we were eliminated. That way, we can concentrate on removing the incompetent guy that we have as President. Bunch of fools.

2. Itiofele

Itiofele Member

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Jan 1, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Please refrain to ask me questions about the match or comment expecting me to reply, as I will be licking my wounds and not coming to the forum for a while.

3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Truth is, you saw a shadow of what Peru can really do.
    Shit happens, sometimes. :thumbsdown:

And this time, luckily for Australia, it happened to Peru.
    Anyhow, congrats to Australia for their win.:thumbsup:

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #2579 Iranian Monitor, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    I commensurate but because you decided to blurt an un-provable (and IMO wrong) claim about the game, I feel I need to say the following:

1- My feeling was that if Australia fix the hole I noticed on the right flank of their defense against the UAE, this would be a 50/50 match, quite likely with few real chances for either side, to be decided by penalties. It could have been very different, of course, but what you saw is what I expected you would see 6/10 times these two sides face one another.

2- Football results are decided by a myriad of factors, some entirely unpredictable. This game, technically a 0:0 draw, didn't involve those unpredictable elements (leaving aside the so-called penalty lottery).

5. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    CONMEBOL cockiness at its finest. Thank you for this post.

Anybody who paid closely attention to whis WCQ cycle knew that it was at best 60:40 for Peru. You are basically claiming it was 90:10 which is absolutely laughable.

Have fun watching the World Cup from home, lad !

waitforit and bigsoccertst1 repped this.
  6. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I like to cite your former signature. I wonder why you deleted it.

"Win when you have to win"

7. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Very surprised at Peru’s performance today. They couldn’t score against the weakest Australian team in 30 years. This was a game with World Cup qualification on the line. I know how good my team is, how good Japan and Saudi Arabia is, and now how good Peru is. Both Japan and Saudi Arabia are better teams then Australia and Peru. I don’t go on people telling me Peru just had a bad game. I go on how they performed when it mattered, and they are about as crappy as we are.

waitforit and bigsoccertst1 repped this.
  8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The excuse about Peru just having a "bad day" is silly since Peru's team, if anything, could be expected to show up boosted by the enthusiastic crowd support they were getting and considering that they made the playoffs on an up cycle which saw them here in the first place. This was not a team in turmoil, low morale, tired, or suffering from coaching controversy or apathy.

And credit Arnold too: he had the right idea how to offset some of the enthusiasm for Peru from the stands. He basically said before the match he wants Australia to put some early pressure on Peru and they did so. And credit to your players doing what they were supposed to do rather well.

bigsoccertst1 and almango repped this.
  9. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoken like someone who doesn't regularly follow Peru, I see.

There's a reason the joke goes that the scariest thing for a Peruvian team to hear is, "We only depend on ourselves" (i.e. no help from other scores). The history of mental collapses at the worst time is long and painful, for which reason there was plenty of trepidation ahead of that last WCQ against Paraguay that normally would be considered a gimme.

Just take Cueva in particular: you can't look at his performance in some of the biggest games in the cycle (particularly at Ecuador and at Colombia), then look at the garbage he put out yesterday and say that was the best he could do.

The team choked, simple as :thumbsdown:

Absolutely, all credit to them. They held strong to their formation and didn't gift Peru any spaces. On top of that, they did their homework and had Lapadula under lock and key, daring the rest of the team to produce danger... and Peru responded by troubling Ryan once in two hours. :(

Christina99 and bigsoccertst1 repped this.
  10. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    During the penalties, I was reminded of the carnival game, "Hit the Clown in the Shooting Gallery." I've never seen a keeper be that crazy before.

Credit to Redmayne for making the final save though. I thought Arnold's move was a failure until that moment.

There was also a question about Redmayne being off his line on the first miss, but it didn't seem as though VAR looked at it.

11. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Peru is a team with many highs and lows even when playing at home so it's not totally unexpected they didn't show up despite the crowd, being favored, etc.

It was very usual in wcq to see them playing a great away game and then playing poorly at home in the same window for instance.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  12. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Prior to yesterday, "Grey Wiggle" Redmayne had 1 appearance in AUS competitive matches:

June 11 2021: victory 0-3 vs Nepal; 83 minutes played.

Putting aside his choreography, Redmayne says that there was a lot of homework done for this match. Well played by both Redmayne and his coach.

13. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    I mean it's coming either way

And it's coming with the stupidest format by far

3 team groups..that is dumb

Only when CONMEBOL loses

When UEFA loses it is because they are shit and have no excuses

BTW when you inevitably claim 50% of CONMEBOL (Argentina and Brazil) does well and 6 UEFA teams must match that to be considered as good .... I assume you will not take into account Peru falling at this stage right?

14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    All teams have their ups and downs, but while sometimes the critical factors explaining things are to be found within that team, other times it has to do with different things. Including how you match up against an opponent or the tactical dynamics.

Australia started very wisely against Peru, in a manner that accentuated their strengths and hid their weaknesses. They didn't move their defenders upfield but played directly to numbers kept in Peru's half,counting on winning individual and aerial duels without being too exposed defensively...

Kamtedrejt and Hayaka repped this.
  15. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Costa Rica 1-0 up.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Quality isn't there, clearly, but already this match has seen as many chances as the first 90 minutes of Peru - Australia.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    VAR wipes-out a NZ goal.

Costa Rica can consider themselves lucky at this stage. Not just because of the balance of play, but there seemed about as much contact in that "foul" by NZ as there was by the Costa Rica defender in the box in an earlier incident.

18. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    It was definitely a foul, NZ player made a rugby tackle ffs

Paul Calixte and ganapordiego repped this.
  19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Like I wrote, there was clear contact on both major incidents of that half. Both calls went CR's way.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Red-card on NZ. That's game, set, match.

The ref has basically missed this entire match! Just relying on VAR to save his arse.

21. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    NZ still controlling play though, even a man down. But I doubt they can beat Navas, even though he's looked a little shaky today.

22. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Costa Rica is just . . . awful.

23. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Hey @Kamtedrejt , CRC elder squad is beating NZL able-bodied men.

Age averages of players fielded today:
    CRC 29.47 years
    NZL 25.36 years

How is this possible?

unclesox, Cosmin10 and Paul Calixte repped this.
  24. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I think NZ could go 2 men down and they would still dominate. Costa Rica is that bad.

25. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    They scored on minute 2 and just bunkered. The game would have been very different otherwise.

unclesox repped this.