Where's Bruce?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by eric_appleby, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m torn and have two completely contrary responses:

1. You didn’t really cover what appears to have happened. He was shelved? He does not appear to be an active assistant. He is “Assistant Coach without portfolio” I guess (Lol).
    2. Good job doing the lawyerly mitigation of any legal ramifications of management making the clear and necessary decision to reassign him to the shelf.

If it isn’t already clear: I agree that IF the right legal precedent even applies, reassignment of RW to coach Revs II __might__ be below the whistleblower floor. We’d need a clear look at the wording of his contract/job description. I think head coach of the D2 team vs. Assistant of the D1 team is widely open to debate on which is a higher level. In game management responsibilities are much higher (in lower stakes competition) for the D2 head coach, for instance.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, given who their clients are ...

russ repped this.
  4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bogert asked what changed to get Peay to become the coach. Bilello said that Williams and Onalfo were both told they were interim, and not for the rest of the year, which doesn't really answer the question. And the actual answer wasn't better.

Tara Sullivan calling out the Revs for not knowing the why ... not the what? We know these people were fired, but not why. She mentioned the frustration from the players and fans. Bilello gave the answer I think everyone had expected ... the investigation has to be questioned to the league.

edcrocker repped this.
  5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asked about why SJ and VDB were let go, the answer from Onalfo ... was garbage.

Bilello and Onalfo both saying that the relationship between the players and FO is great. What a lie.

Onalfo says the meetings went long and that's why no training yesterday.

Maurer asked about where the Krafts are in this and essentially if Bilello and Onalfo felt their jobs were safe. Bilello said ownership is backing them, and view the team as a challenger for the Cup. "They've been tremendous supporters of us." They feel their jobs are safe.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    98.5 cut away at 1:15, because as Bertrand said ... they weren't getting anything out of this. And they weren't wrong, I was about to shut it off myself.

I mentioned the question about why the change was made to Peay, and Bilello saying Richie was only interim... Hardy/Bertrand completely agreed with me. "This team has no interest in telling you the truth."

russ and Feldspar repped this.
  7. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Assistant coach without portfolio" is a pretty accurate description. It's hard to tell what's really going on, but if whistleblower laws are in play and they're not putting him in charge, I think that pretty much nails his job.

Re: other coaching slots in the organization, it's certainly arguable that D2 coach or some other gig is lateral or better from D1 assistant, but the perception is the key thing, not his contract description. If it looks like he's being sidelined, that's (arguably) retaliation, even if there's a colorable argument that it's a legit move. Otherwise you'd get employers "reassigning" whistleblowers to perfectly equivalent jobs in the boondocks as a way to legally punish them. Lawyers are taught to mitigate all risk, so they'll be telling the Revs to keep Richie right where he is, and that any change in position invites a lawsuit.

8. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listening to the Bilello/Onalfo presser, the only excuse I can think of for their evasion is that MLS and Proskauer Rose are still holding the reins tightly on the whole thing (even if they're done investigating, which I'm not sure they are despite what some have said). The Revs are effectively a branch office of the league, and MLS still calls the shots. If MLS has lowered the cone of silence, there's not much the Revs FO can say about all that's gone on, even about the coaching shuffle since it's so tied into the investigation.

Of course, that's the whole problem with it all. They never should have been so secretive about this, from Day 1.

russ repped this.
  9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Saturday, "The New England Revolution
    You're not wrong, but let's not kid ourselves ... this team hasn't exactly EVER been known to be up front about any single thing.

pwykes, russ and Feldspar repped this.
  10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    No, don't believe that for a second. They actually believe they can b.s. their way through this.

Now that they are the laughingstock of MLS and the local sports media, they are going to be getting more and more heat. Can't wait to see what Tara Sullivan writes in tomorrow's column after they blew her off with a non-answer. Somebody is going to have to wake Bob Kraft up from his nap.

Speaking of Bob Kraft, wasn't that a lovely site watching him smile/laugh/kiss/hug with Tom Brady on Sunday while his other team was going down in flames.

11. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bilello all but said he can't give us more information.

My guess is that there are very good legal and/or ethical reasons behind it.

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since they're so comfortable just sending out a press release, why not do that then? Just be honest, put out a quick blurb that we can't talk about it so please contact the law firm or the league. Instead you put this f'in nonsense together where Onalfo could tell everyone how great he is, Bilello and Onalfo could ignore every question, etc etc. Take away the legal stuff, why can't you answer why Williams was put "on vacation," or honestly answer how the relationship with the players, or why SJ and VDB were fired? Instead we heard another commercial for 2024 tickets ... and did Onaflo mention yet how good he is at his job?

13. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    #213 Tea Men Tom, Sep 13, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    I don't think we'd be where we are if Shalrie and/or Van den Berg hasn't dropped a dime on RW being one who filed a complaint. Because of this, the team is forced to protect RW - who the players clearly don't like or trust.

Much as we all are Shalrie fans, he (along with Van den Berg) may be the bad guy here - not Revs management. It seems like they're forced into a position they'd rather not be in - as they can't talk about it for legal reasons.

The mistake was making RW the interim coach - but maybe they didn't realize it till yesterday morning when they met with the players.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Baloney?" Alexi, you've always been a stooge, so we shouldn't think anything less from you.

BERich repped this.
  16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may have read the writing on the wall as "if Bruce goes, we are all going" and decided screw this, RW took our guy down so we are taking him down. They will probably land on their feet, RW however may be forever tainted in MLS

17. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah he's a real peach, but in fairness he was posting a quote from Onalfo. I don't think he was agreeing with it.

russ, skydog, NFLPatriot and 1 other person repped this.
  18. BERich

BERich Member

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Felger and Mazz's email of the day was on the Revs. They had a good time ripping the incompetent Revs organization and the Krafts.

19. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    #219 Brian in Boston, Sep 13, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    How does Frank Dell'Apa's tweet from last night fit into the narrative. He wrote:

"Williams not to blame, according to sources, and that seems to becoming apparent. Players will figure that out. Their agents should have been giving them good advice on this IMO."

So many questions. So much Sturm und Drang.

In any event, this fiasco makes one thing perfectly clear: despite the Revolution's on-field success under Bruce Arena, the club's investor/operators and front office personnel remain woefully out of their depth when it comes to the stewardship of a Major League Soccer operation circa 2023 and beyond.

The New England Revolution are never going to be anything more than priority B - you know what, let's make that priority b, lower case - in the hierarchy of the Kraft Sports + Entertainment portfolio. That being the case, it is time - at minimum - to clean house within the club's management structure; Brian Bilello needs to be shown the door, with everyone else on the staff up for review... and desperately needing to justify their continued employment.

Further, if I'm being perfectly frank, I would prefer the Krafts selling the Revolution to someone whose primary sports focus would be the investment in and operation of a Major League Soccer club.

VTSoccerFan and russ repped this.
  20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to know what question he was replying too

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while he may not be to blame there was no way he was going to coach this team as the player allegiance was to Bruce and pretty much made it clear they wanted to part of him

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know he was talking about how he's done here with the Revs, but I still have to laugh at Onalfo's "great job" ... he's had three MLS Head Coaching jobs. 2.5 years before being fired by KC. Fired in the middle of his first season by DC. Fired in his first season by LA.

jeff_adams and Feldspar repped this.
  23. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only team to beat the New England Revolution at home is our front office

:::smh:::

song219, Dr. Sneezy, russ and 5 others repped this.
  24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Oh, please. Since when have they needed a reason to not disclose information - that's been standard operating procedure since forever.

What can you report about the search for a stadium site, Brian?

Oh, we're working really hard on that, top priority, it's tough, we feel we're making progress, ... yadda, yadda, yadda.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

These press conferences this week have been a total joke. They have local Boston sportswriters and the top US soccer journalists attending and they don't say jack squat. Why waste everyone's time?? All they accomplished was to bring more ridicule on the club.
    With all the blaming, one guy is really getting left off the hook - Arena.

Whether his abusive remarks/behavior were over the top, or just Bruce-being-Bruce, you have to admit that even before all this blew up, this was one incredibly dysfunctional coaching staff:

- multiple factions of coaches
    - Arena abusing the same guys who have worked/played for him for years and years and years
    - multiple coaches being informed that their tenure was coming to an end early in the season

What could go wrong?
    Yeah, that is clearly the biggest f.u. in this whole mess. And to not even realize what could go wrong?

pwykes repped this.
  25. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Of those i don't see how telling guys they won't be re-upped before the season instead a problem. Most people view being given a year with full pay to find your next gig as quite the courtesy. If anything ots evidence of how functional Bruce's leadership was

patfan1 repped this.