Where would Chelsea rank in Serie A?

Discussion in 'Italy' started by n00bie deluxe, Aug 24, 2003.

1. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    They've transplanted a Serie A team to London this year. Where would it place if it were playing "back home"?

I think it would place in the Top 3. :)

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I guess the more relevant question is where will it place in the Premier League? ;)

3. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    and perhaps how they will do in the Champions League is the most compelling of all...they have to be a team no one wants in their group now...

4. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Chelsea's chances of winning the CL are less than zero..next year maybe...this year: deffinitely not!! The team needs time to mesh; but there's no doubt in my mind that they'll give teams like ManU and Arsenal a real run for their money!!

5. Solstice

Solstice New Member

Aug 26, 2003
    They should make top 5 easily enough. With all that class they might be in for a chance of Champions League next year

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It takes time to build a team..... For CL, teams liked Real Madrid, Juventus, and AC Milan have one or two new faces this season. Their teams are intact.... it would hard to beat them. The early rounds might be hard for Chelsea if they are grouped in a tough group. In later rounds, they might be able to play better as a unit.

7. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Less than zero? A good movie maybe, but not accurate here...

we'll see if Chelsea get drawn into Milan's group how you feel then...

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    What??

That makes absolutely NO sense. We can compete with Arsenal and ManUtd for the Premiership, but have no chance of winning the CL? Ummmm, those are the same teams that play in the CL.
    Besides, this team is built for the CL, and what's more important, if we barely squeeze by in the group stage, our struggles there won't matter, as opposed to any early struggles in the league, due to the players' unfamiliarity with each other.

9. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I guess the more relevant question is when Chelsea will apply for membership into Serie A. :D

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Well, there's a 50% chance for Chelsea to get drawn with a team from Serie A (Juve, Milan or Lazio) in the Champions League. I hope it happens. Those would be fun games to see.

11. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    And I got my wish - Chelsea and Lazio in the same group.

12. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    ahh, not the most ideal #2 in chelsea...

but I think the time to draw them is sooner rather than later before they mesh all the talent together.

gotta try to dig up the clip of that wonder FK Miha scored vs Chelsea in the CL a few years ago...

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    That really was a wonderful goal, given the setting. But I actually think his goal against Benfica in the first leg was even better. I think it came within millimeters of both the right post and the crossbar.

14. De Niro2

De Niro2 New Member

Oct 5, 2002
    Like it's said before, they must be able to play as a team and since they are still signing new players every week it might take sometime. Soo far so good, 7 points in 3 games in the premiership and they look quite good. Mutu, Veron and Crespo are all already proven in Serie A so im sure they could work out there again but there are a few others i don't know about, a player who's good in one league is not necessary good in another, the Serie A is the toughest to make it in with their strong organisation, techincal based football, tactical awareness and sometimes defensive plying style, but the question is still if they can play as a team. Give them so time and we'll see.

15. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Well, at least one of us did. Harrumph :(