where will they play?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by dfffd61, Dec 15, 2005.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a temporary venue.

Well, although you can mitigate the drawbacks with the installation and a few other techniques, FieldTurf still sucks. No doubt. But it's only for a few years. Houston isn't the first MLS team to play a few seasons on FieldTurf and probably won't be the last.

2. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I presume UofH is worried about trashed grass for football. But I don't see why they wouldn't give it a try for one season on the grass and see how it turns out.

3. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I agree. I think the pointy ball players are even going to hate this stuff. Imagine 2 a days in August in 100 degree heat. The fieldturf will be 150 degrees and U of H shoe budget (melting shoes) just went through the roof.

If Maggert (U of H AD) wanted MLS to stay in that stadium, he would have stuck with grass.

At least there will be more of an incentive for AEG and the team to demand a SSS.

4. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's about money.

I don't think it has much to do with concerns about the grass getting worn down. It's about saving annual maintenance costs. FieldTurf is much cheaper to maintain over time than real grass.

For example, Rice is also considering replacing the Astroturf at Rice Stadium with a new surface. Both real grass and FieldTurf have been considered, but FieldTurf will almost certainly be selected because of the relative costs over time. Both Rice and UH lose several million dollars each year in athletics and play in a conference that doesn't exactly generate big TV money.

5. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robertson...good choice. :)

6. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Couple of FMF/MLS double headers and maybe even a friendly or two with MLS Houston against an FMF or Central American club would do wonders for attendance and the hispanic community.

Man, I can just see it now . . . .MLS Houston vs UANL Tigres or MLS Houston vs CSD Municipal in a friendly would draw pretty darn well.

7. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and probably win over a few fans if the quality is good enough. Watch the Mexican team or the team that is in the same city and just as good?

8. Burden

Burden Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: It's only a temporary venue

So 3 seasons at Robertson will give you guys plenty of time to develope and build a SSS with your own beautiful grass field. :D
    Good luck in Houston always bring your friends, whether they like it or not, and fill that stadium up. I expect nothing less than 32k on openening night and making a run at our attendance crown. ;)