Where was Marvell Wynne? [R - UCLA/SMU]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by DCU, Nov 23, 2005.

1. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Does anyone know why Marvell Wynne wasn't on the field or even on the bench in street clothes for UCLA's loss to SMU? His absence from the bench has me wondering if something's going on.

2. GOWICK

GOWICK Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Sandon Mibut posted this on the results thread last night...

INJURY UPDATE: Sophomore Marvell Wynne did not practice Tuesday due to a swollen ligament in his left foot.

Wynne, who leads the Bruins with eight assists this season, is expected only be out for a few more days.

"My foot should heal soon, and hopefully I'll be ready for Thursday's game," Wynne said.

Whether he's hustling in the backfield or sitting on the bench nursing his injured foot, Wynne said he tries to contribute to the team.

"I try to help our offense with constructive criticism," Wynne said.

"I tell them what I see from my point of view because we can see everything from the back."

3. woodwork

woodwork Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Marvell was in street clothes in the bleachers among the spectators.

4. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Interesting. Gowick, the quote you posted from the Daily Bruin is several weeks old. The question remains, if he's injured, why wasn't he on the sideline with the team?

5. cusoccer82

cusoccer82 Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Denver, CO
    The NCAA only allows 20 players to be dressed and present on the team bench for Tournament games. All others must join the general population in the stands. A silly rule, but a rule nonetheless. Jorge must have felt that having a healthy player that could possibily help the team off the bench would be more important than Wynne providing constructive criticism to his forwards. :p

6. woodwork

woodwork Member

Feb 29, 2000
    That's right. No conspiracy. He's injured.

7. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Fine, fine. I'll let it go. I guess he just got unlucky given that his foot injury was only supposed to keep him out a few days and wound up keeping him out 3 weeks.

8. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    UCLA probably didn't anticipate that tough a game against SMU (and so left him out to allow a few more days to heal). Otherwise, one wonders if Wynne would have dressed.