Where to watch the final if you can't travel?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mikedett, Nov 7, 2004.

1. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Decision made, that's where I'm going.

Thanks to both...

2. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    I'm with Dougg, I think it would be good if we all got together for this.
    I think a poll would be good (of only places that have said yes they will show the game and can accomodate a crowd) and we all head there.

3. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah if necessary a post game celebration similar to the one at Summer's after the US defeated Portugal is recommended! :D That means running out into the street with your DC banner's and flags and starting an improvised drum circle.

Just remember the more fellow DC fans to celebrate with, the better the celebration!

4. LowEnd

LowEnd New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Washington, DC
    When I called I just talked to the bartender (the one who's always there when I'm there), but maybe if we asked the owner (a nice Welshman, and big soccer fan) we could take over that back big room during the game? Normally they'll be showing a few games at once on the various TVs, except for big occassions like the World Cup, where they'll focus on one.

I'm still at home, but will drop by Lucky Bar later to see if the owner is there, and see about making the big back room an MLS Cup gathering or something.

I was going to have a small party at my house for this, but going down to Lucky Bar sounds like more fun than having my friends eat chili and watch me scream at the TV for two hours.

I wonder if we could bring the drums and TP into the bar? :)

5. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    ...and another prime example of his loyalty to DC United.

I've watched many, many games at Lucky Bar, Capital Lounge, and increasingly at Politiki. Not sure why the DC bars never get hyped.
    But I'll be watching at Britt's Pub in Minneapolis. Any takers?

7. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    By committed to soccer, do you mean that they tape delay the championship match, featuring the home-town team, so that they can instead pander to a pointy ball crowd? Just wondering.

8. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say we ALL do THIS:

Huge MLS Cup Viewing Party.

Its Metro accesible, and well get a HUGE room.

So seems like no poll is necessary now, and I agree, we should ALL get together at the SAME PLACE, and ROCK IT! :D

9. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all seriousness, how does any bar owner turn away the 1 pm football crowd to save seats for a 3:30 soccer game? (most area bars buy the NFL package and like the soccer crowd there are football regulars who show up to watch their teams every week). The games overlap on Sun (football goes off after 4 usually and then you have people coming in for the 4 pm game). Politiki is a Steelers bar and if they're playing at 1 I would fully expect Politiki to have that game on over soccer as that's where those fans congregate.

Man you people are pissy.

K

10. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh God, do you EVER shut up about this?

So tiresome...

11. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, according to Flannigan's schedule on their website they show all NFL ticket games live and they have another soccer game scheduled at 3 pm. Has anyone called and confirmed they will show the DCU game?

http://www.flanagans-irish-pub.com/flanagans_sports.shtml

FOR RICHMOND FOLKS, what about Banditos Burrito Lounge (the Richmond Kickers hangout?) I love this place for eats and drink. It looks like they too get the NFL Sunday ticket but maybe if there's a whole gang of you they'd put it on (worth a phone call). http://www.banditosburritolounge.com/

K

12. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    why don't people just get 4-5 folks together, order a few pizzas and get some beers, and watch it at home? we don't get a game on ABC too much.

and even though i don't know her, seems like K is doing quite an outstanding job in giving everybody options...

13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Yeah, right! She'll just "organize and flee" with some lame a$$ excuse (like I'm in LA) :rolleyes:

14. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000

15. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    [/QUOTE]Let's contrast that with Joe's attitude at Summers. Why do we bother with him? I'll admit that if he's the ONLY place in town to watch a game, I'd go there. But I honestly don't feel he deserves a penny of my money.[/QUOTE]

Kinda harsh there are'nt you. Joe is a great guy. He puts games on for me all the time. I'm a Summers fan, but this weekend's MLS cup game will have a lot fans and Summers will not be able to handle the overflow especially with the NFL games on. Summers is out on Sunday.

16. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Can we save the Summers slap fight thread for the offseason, when we have nothing better to discuss? Let's stick to the matter at hand - where to watch on Sunday?

Me, I live in DC, so I'm thinking Lucky Bar - Metro is easy, but walking is easier.

17. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Ed you're right. Can't wait until Sunday!!!

18. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    My wife works until 5, does anyone know of a bar that will Tivo the game fo rus and then start it when we get there? They can fast forward through half time so we should be done watching by 6:45 or so. Thanks.

19. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Because that only works for people who are hung over from watching their school's football team whup Harvard the previous day. ;)

20. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    agreed, Bailey's has a huge room witha huge screen and good sound and plenty of beers on tap, and Metro access....I know where I will be.

22. EastCampusAllStar

EastCampusAllStar New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Escazú, Costa Rica
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, I e-mailed Spencer of Soccer Nation/Lucky Bar. I was seeking a promise to put the MLS Cup on the big screen there Sunday. This is what he said:

"I'll double-check with the pub, but I'm pretty sure they will have it
    on the big screen. It's definitely the biggest match in town that day!

Thanks for inquiring, we'll updated the site later today with the full
    scoop."

Not a guarantee yet, but it sounds promising. Meanwhile, I wouldn't want to take anything away from the Bailey's crowd. Does anyone know more about that place? My concern is service. I want to make sure I can get beers somewhat easily.

23. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    I was at Pour House/Politiki tonight and they're figuring it out for Sunday - said that Collin would post something here tomorrow. Hopefully we'll have the entire upstairs room - which is great with big screen tv and all. That's where the post game party was after the last match and it's near Eastern Market metro. Seems to me that DC is far more central than Virginia for most people.... I guess we'll wait to see what Collin has to say tomorrow.