Where to watch the final if you can't travel?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mikedett, Nov 7, 2004.

1. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    State Theater: not a bad idea. And don't they have a microbrew or something?

2. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    looks like they have a show that night with the doors opening at 7PM.

Conceivably, a 3:30 PM game could go into PK's. It would end somewhere around 6:30PM. Not sure, if I was management, that this would provide sufficient time for cleanup. FYI

http://www.thestatetheatre.com/

3. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, do you have some problem with me, because I REALLY don't appreciate your attitude. As far as Saturday banner hanging, I believe most people there were aware that I was going to be leaving a friend's wedding early to be at the Pour House decorating for the post game. I had made arrangements for 15 people to get in and who to contact, etc (we had a whole separate email listserv for the planning). I didn't realize more guidance was needed to tape some sheets of plastic to a rail.

If you're all full of solutions on how to organize banner hanging and where to watch game on Sun, be my guest.

K

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Wasn't the DC United awards ceremony at the State Theater? Seems like they could easily be on top of that if they wanted to be.

5. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I spoke to Joe at Summers and he's planning on showing the game on 1/2 hr delay due to 1 pm NFL games (otherwise you have both crowds butting up against each other). I told him I didn't think folks would be interested in this, so that's the story there.

K

6. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Jeez. Settle down Beavis. Have you ever thought that maybe not having been to a place for 5 years might disqualify you from making a judgment? If you haven't seen it, the newly renovated front side of the place (all non-smoking with its own bar, a separate ventilation system, and plasma TVs up the wazoo) is pretty nice.

I'm not going to defend everything about Summers. The food and service are both much improved - particularly some of the newer items on the menu like the potato-encrusted fish and chips - but you have to stick with the safe items, like the burgers and the aforementioned fish n' chips, both of which are very good. The salads are limp, and I have no idea who thinks "Pasta N' Chicken Fingers" is a good food combination ;)

The more important thing is that Summers is committed to soccer, has worked with the United and USNT fan base for years (giving the SEs the entire smoking side for the recent Petke quiz night and showing the money-losing USYNT matches for the die-hard fans being two examples), and is the original soccer bar in the area. Yes, there are soemtimes conflicts there where soccer gets short shrift, but I still give them the benefit of the doubt, because before MLS and the growth of soccer's popularity as a spectator sport in DC, Summers was committed to soccer - and if MLS ended tomorrow, Summers would still be committed to soccer. IMHO, that means something.

7. tanekaberi

tanekaberi New Member

May 29, 2004
    Takoma Park MD
    Yes it does still show soccer, alot in fact. Might be a chance of a big screen. I'll look into, confirm and then post to this thread.

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wanted to back this up. There's a lot of things I'm not fond of about Summers -- very little atmosphere, difficult to group together because it's all booths and small tables, etc. -- but their commitment to providing a venue to watch soccer is very real. During WC02 I spent a lot of nights there, catching 20 minutes or an hour of sleep with my head on the bar here and there, as they became a 24-hour place just to provide a place to watch matches like Belgium v. Russia or Sweden v. Nigeria.

9. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    I was there and you know that Mike, what was your problem with the Banner "Party"? We met Mike, he gave us the passes and the people who were there on time (which included you and 3 other people) got their passes. I jetted to help K at PourHouse and Susan stayed behind to wait for people so she could give them passes. She waited until 4PM (an HOUR after the designated meeting time) and then left the rest of the passes with the security at the front door so she could go inside and do her part. If people are mad because they didn't know how to get the passes, my answer is, be on time.

Sorry to get this off subject, but K is being given a hard time for something she essentially asked me to take care of and as far as I'm concerned, it was taken care of.

10. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    For any DC/Maryland people, Flannigan's (in Bethesda) has a big screen and will be willing to show the game. They are a soccer oriented Irish bar (usually watch EPL games), so there is not real conflict with any NFL games. That's where I plan on going, and it's very metro friendly.

--kravi

11. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though I live in the NoVa burbs this is where I'm going, forget Summers Flanigan's should be a great place for it. Great bar, good service and food. Kravi and I have been to there before and it's a cool place, very Metro accessible off the Red line (Bethesda Station).

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Leslie and I will also go to Flannigans.

Sachin

13. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Is Flanningans far from Bethesda metro? Also under 21 welcome or what?

14. perctarit

perctarit Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ward 6
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We talked to Colin on Saturday night and he mentioned that he hoped to arrange something upstairs at Politiki/Pour House on Capitol Hill (the site of the aftergame party on Saturday). The upstairs is a very nice space with a good beer selection and a big screen tv that does a more than adequate job (if the replay of the game is any indication).

Politiki does cater to Steelers' games on Sundays. (Steelers fans are the only fans I know who rival DCU fans). If the Steelers are playing on Sunday, you might want to call first before heading over there.

perc

15. rebelzero

rebelzero Member

Jul 5, 2003
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say we grab a large enough crowd and pile into ESPNZone, since they're broadcast partners of ABC already and they don't have to show NFL games until Sunday night at 8PM.

16. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah not a big fan of ESPN Zone. Crappy service, overpriced food and beverage. Would rather support a more LOCAL place then let my money go to the wonderful people at Disney!

17. LowEnd

LowEnd New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Lucky Bar fits most of our needs, assuming they're showing MLS Cup on Sunday. I just tried to call but no one picked up, so I'll swing by there tonight and see what the deal is.

But they show a ton of soccer, it's big, they have good beer and good food.
    The only catch is they tend to have a $10 minimum...which if you eat and have one beer is far from a problem.

Watch this space...

18. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Looks like everyone is going different places.... It sucks.. It'll be good if we could get one huge crowd in one place, as oppose to a few fans here and there.... Kind of atmosphere is that?

Dougg
    "Still waiting to see where to go."

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sounds like a Poll is ready to break out.

20. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Natty, Flanagan's is very close to Bethesda Metro...just two blocks up Old Georgetown road from the Metro.

Not sure about under 21, but they are *sort of* a restaurant too, so I think you might be good on a Sunday afternoon. A quick phone call could probably sort that out.

Here's a link to their site:
    http://www.flanagans-irish-pub.com/index.htm

21. LowEnd

LowEnd New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Ok,

I got through to the folks at Lucky Bar, and they said that they will be showing it on the big screen. She didn't think there would be a cover, but I'll go ahead and assume they'd do the $10 minimum. Their website is:
    www.soccer-nation.com

As for getting there / being central - it's easy.

Take the Red Line Metro to DuPont Circle, exit through the south exit (not Q St.) and walk about 2 block south on Connecticut Ave. to 1221 Connecticut Ave. NW. The phone number is 202-331-3733 if you have questions.

Parking around there on a Sunday *might* not be too bad, but with Metro it saves you any drinking and driving issues, and it is so damn close.

Vamos United!

22. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    The Penny Lane Pub listed on the Soccer Bars FAQ that is the recommended place in Richmond is closed on Sundays. Are there any DCU fans here in Richmond who have any ideas or plans for watching the game that they'd like to share?

23. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Anyone who can sit in a bar for 2 hours and not spend at least ten bucks has a serious problem.... ;)

24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a BS noob, I dunno how to set one up, or I would. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

25. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky Bar is a great place to see soccer games. The staff are friendly and generally very knowledgeable about soccer. The food is really good at a reasonable price and it's really close to the Metro. You'll gladly drop a 10-spot there.
    Summers refugees, there is an alternative.
    Be nice to K, though (Not directed at you, LowEnd). Purely as an observer, I have seen her do a lot of things for the fans and the team that, frankly, I'm much, much too lazy to do.