where to watch irish matches in NZ

Discussion in 'Oceania' started by paddykiwiman, Sep 4, 2003.

1. paddykiwiman

paddykiwiman New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    does anyone know of a venue where i can watch irish international soccer matches in NZ? I'd love to see this weekends crunch Euro qualifier against Russia, but I can't find anywhere in Christchurch that's showing it.

There's at least 6 so called "Irish" bars in this town, but if any of them had a drop of Irish blood in their veins they'd cough up for the setanta subscription and stay open all night, or at least until 5am.

2. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    With Sky TV not showing any of the Euro qualifiers you just aren't going to see it.

Your best bet is to watch the minute by minute updates being done on some websites.

Crowdie.

3. paddykiwiman

paddykiwiman New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    thanks. looks like that is the only option.

i did hear that there's one bar in auckland with setanta satellite, but it's a bit too far to go!

4. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Was that Auckland bar the Claddagh?

Crowdie.

5. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    RTE Radio 1 is broadcasting the commentary on the Ireland Russia game - just go to the RTE website at http://www.rte.ie and select "Radio 1" from the "Live Streams" updown menu.

The show you are looking for starts at 14:00 (Irish time) and is called "Saturday Sport with Shane O'Donoghue". Tonight's show includes soccer (Euro Qualifier - Republic of Ireland v Russia at Lansdowne Road), racing from Leopardstown and golf (Irish PGA Championship).

Hope that helps.

Crowdie.

6. paddykiwiman

paddykiwiman New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    i don't know what bar it was in auckland and i couldn't find it on the net, but a bar owner in chch told my mate there was one.

thanks for the radio link, although i didn't get to tune in.

big shame about the result!

7. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I would say the Auckland bar is the Claddagh in Newmarket. The Claddagh is where the Celtic Supporters Club watch all the Celtic games live and Sky definitely doesn't broadcast all the Celtic games.

The result was a shame. Ireland really needed to win by two goals so a 1-1 draw really played into the hands of the Russians.

Crowdie.

8. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    damn it i wanted the Socceroos to win last month! :p Oh well. No coverage is poor but FOX sports is ok.