Where to watch game tonight?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by bigtoga, Jul 7, 2005.

1. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I don't guess I have telefuture (DirecTV but no Para Todos package). Does anyone have any viewing info in the NORTH Dallas area?

2. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only place I know that will show it is Trinity Hall.

3. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Well, I went on their website (before I posted) and I didn't see anything about it - good to know.

4. doctor_j

doctor_j New Member

Aug 3, 2004
    reppin' ETex
    ch. 49 if ya got rabbit ears :)

At least, until the feds cut off all analog over-the-air signals (scheduled for this year but they are talking about delaying it). Then the $5 antenna will have to be replaced with a $100 converter.

5. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah - they'd forgotten about it before I called to ask yesterday. (Not sure why they haven't put it on their site by now, but Marius said it would be on tonight.)

6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    are you serious? They're getting rid of over-the-air network channels?

7. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    When I was in college my Telecom professor explained how this was going to happen by 1998. I'm still waiting. Congress has continued to extend the deadline for the conversion to all digital, hi def broadcasting for several years. It will happen....but I'm guessing we've still got a while yet.

8. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    To clarify a little - they're not getting rid of over-the-air broadcasting of local channels, but they are forcing those broadcasts to be all-digital, Hi-Def signals (as tg was saying).

9. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's referencing the "required" shift to HD over-the-air signals. The networks will still be around. But you'll only need a converter if your TV isn't HD-ready! So see? It's not so bad. :)

10. doctor_j

doctor_j New Member

Aug 3, 2004
    reppin' ETex
    The End of Analog TV

recent /. discussion

Paragraph quoted just to be clear:

Many analog television owners won’t need a converter: 85 percent of Americans now get all their television from cable or satellite providers, so for the most part the change-over won’t affect them. (A lot of those households, however, also have second and third sets in basements or bedrooms that do rely on over-the-air signals.) The real problem is the 15 million or so U.S. households whose only television service comes over the air. For these people, predominately lower-income and disproportionately black and Hispanic, the cut-off will be bad news indeed.

Which is me, since right now I don't care enough about TV to have cable (high speed broadband is more important to me). When the cutoff comes I might of course have to reconsider :) What I originally posted was entirely factual tho.

11. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    Yeah, we know. We were just explaining the "analog" part to Ryan. :)

12. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ah I understand now and that is unfortunet. We have many TV's and only one relying on over-the-air channels. The good thing about the basic over-the-air channels is when it rains the damn satelite WILL go out 90% of the time (some technology :rolleyes: ) and the cable is usually ok but then there is the select few times the cable goes out [JH]as well[/JH] and you only got your rabbit ears for that oh so important footy game.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily hi-def, just digital.

Most of what's on the digital over-the-air channels is standard definition.

14. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    Seriously? I thought the requirement included hi-def. It should. "Martin" reruns deserve hi-def picture quality.

15. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    FYP

16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, to reiterate, if you want to watch tonight's game, it's on Channel 49 (KSTR), the local Telefutura affiliate. Check your cable guide for the channel on your local cable system. If you've got DirecTV or DISH, it's in your local channels package.

As for the cut-over to digital TV, there are a few misconceptions:

1. It's only for the over-the-air signals. If you get your TV with rabbit ears or a big antenna on the roof, you might have to do something. If you get your TV through the cable or satellite, you don't have to do a damn thing. It's up to your cable or satellite provider to sort out.

2. It's not necessarily high-def. At least 90% of what's on the digital channels right now is standard definition. And if you need to watch a high-def program on your standard definition TV, just about every converter box will "downconvert" it (in other words, convert it to the lower resolution) for you.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, just digital. If you tune in Channel 27's or Channel 52's digital channel, it's all just standard definition. Of course, since it's digital, it's pretty damn sharp and clear, but it's still only standard definition.

Those Happy Days reruns are still going to be just standard definition.

18. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    I'm getting it now. Can't force all broadcasts to be hi-def because it doesn't make sense to air reruns (or similar low-budget programming) in hi-def that were recorded in standard def.

I guess it's a "require digital and let consumer-demand force the networks to move to hi-def" kind of thing. Bummer.